Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Route's End' did its first weekend show at Southwold, and I had to operate the layout solo - it was damned hard work!!!

Saturday was the 'modellers day' - those who either are in our hobby or appreciate our efforts and take the time to watch us and talk to us.

Sunday was mainly the 'Mums, Dads and Kids' day and then things went downhill pretty quickly - fingerpoking, prodding, 95-decibel children's voices 6 inches from me are normal hazards endured. My worst moment was when a little darling (I wasn't as polite as this on another forum) charged towards the layout and pushed it towards me, I caught it all with my chest and it suffered a lot of damage. Remaining calm at this time was difficult, I stopped operating until that family left me, the word 'sorry' was not part of the parents vocabulary.

To those parents: Thank you for ruining my weekend, and thank you for trying to destroy my efforts, please do not encourage your kids into this hobby, we don't want them. We're not that desparate!!!

I took it home as a momento of a ruined weekend and felt that I didn't want to see the layout again, so it was covered up in the garage.

I took the covers off Route's End last Saturday (11th) and the damage is:
4 out of 5 masts broken - Replaced by spares.
Station canopy pushed out of line - Broke canopy off and refixed it.
Figures knocked off - Refixed.
Substation and its platform ripped off board - Former substation site now ballasted over.
Numerous paving slabs removed - To be replaced when I get a quiet week.

One of the plusses out of the Southwold show was on the Saturday when you have serious modellers visiting was the suggestion that I put a footbridge at the opposite end to the station to provide a 'vision blocker' for the trams entering and leaving. I measured my available space and you may laugh, but the footbridge from the Hornby Thomas the Tank Engine range is an ideal fit for me! So I bought one and will repaint it in either concrete or the light blue corporate colours of my tramway operator as seen on the station and sub-station.

Another plus whilst I was at Model Junction in Bury St. Edmunds was I bought some very fine piano wire for my dummy overhead and I erected it over one track on Sunday and it looks good.

Sorry, no pics yet. Prefer to do them when I've completed all the work.

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
So all's well that ends well?

Children really can be a nightmare at shows, I sometimes wonder what the parents would do if we as operators visited their homes and behaved like them?

Regards

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 13 Aug 2007, 10:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I caught it all with my chest and it suffered a lot of damage. Remaining calm at this time was difficult, I stopped operating until that family left me, the word 'sorry' was not part of the parents vocabulary.

To those parents: Thank you for ruining my weekend, and thank you for trying to destroy my efforts, please do not encourage your kids into this hobby, we don't want them. We're not that desparate!!!
I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you are able to make good all the damage without too much trouble. 'Family days' really need the riot police or a rule that all children under a certain age be kept on leashes / walkers (or what ever they are called) whilst at the exhibition. Was the layout behind any kind of barrier at the time? I would have a polycarbonate screen if I were at an exhibition, even if it does screw up photography for the short. I suppose that one must make do with what is provided on the day in terms of a sound platform/table for the layout...most car boots being of a finite size (with respect to taking your own flood defences)!

At least you know what to expect next time from the little cherubs...

I have to say that the lack of an apology from the parents would anger me more than the gremlins actions themselves...after all what else are gremlins for?

Goedel

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I took it home as a momento of a ruined weekend and felt that I didn't want to see the layout again, so it was covered up in the garage.

I know that feeling, it's almost the worst in the world. You have my comiserations and well done for getting "back in the saddle". Remember the "bogus" latin motto - "Nil illegitimii carborundum" - which in this case is quite apt.

David

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Route's End Remodelling - Part 1

Hi all,

Got rained out in the garden, so back to the garage and started remodelling Route's End:

It needed simplification as:
The original track plan was unprototypical - ideal for Metros but not Tramways.
The original track plan placed me at risk from over-reaching when operating solo (one hand on controller and one hand on stock cassette 4ft 6ins (1.37m) away).
The front track is now further away from the board edge to deter fingerpokers, prodders and pickers!
It will be easier and smoother to operate at exhibitions, the original track plan could tie me up and it confused the hell out of my friend and co-operator Barbara.

The front track has been lifted and I need a home and purpose for my Pola electricity sub-station, its internal dimensions are 19mm x 38mm so it can be used (at a pinch) as a point motor cover.

The Y point now feeds into a trap siding (commonly used on London Underground and Light Rail Systems to protect the junction) this siding will also be home to a Bachmann track trolley from their Speeder set.

The former centre siding is now the inbound track and extended to the end of the board. The 'vision blocker' is in the form of a Thomas the Tank Engine footbridge - don't laugh, it was the only one that fitted my space. To be repainted and finally positioned.

Apologies for the poor quality pics, I was in a hurry!
Part 2 to follow with the promise of better pics!

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It's coming (back) together well. I look forward to the next episode.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts