Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi iam looking to find a moden royal mail train, i no ews pulled it but dont no if they still do.

i saw some coaches a few monthes back but looked old an in need off some repair, does the post still travel by rail.

I also think model rail done an artical a year or 2 ago on it aswel but cant remember.

Hope some has an answer thanks guys

·
Registered
243 Posts
Royal mail did stop going by rail a year or two ago but started again as my peco track came by rail from hattons to crewe train station then to my house,just looked at a website who took the contract on with royal mail and it said After a highly successful trial period operating over Christmas 2004 and into spring 2005 GB Railfreight signed a long-term contract with Royal Mail to move mail by train until the end of March 2006, with options for a further 12 months.

And they used a Class 325 to haul the mail about the UK.

Here's the website i got the info from GB Railfreight

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Dean sidings are planning a 325 in resin. they had the master at warley last year.
But i believe it was incorrrect. they had modified a hornby thames turbo. whereas the 325 is actually based on a 319 but has a turbo's cab. so i think the dean sidings one will be too long. i hope to have another look on saturday.

I quite often see them. there are usually a couple stabled over at willsden junction. they have recently been refurbished. all there electrical equipment has been overhauled. this involved running them as 3 car sets while the motor coach was being done. thats why they were loco hauled.
Now they are back running as 4 car sets (and very smart they look too!)

I believe they now have a rolling 12 month contract for the work (interesting that their own website dosent mention this though)

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE And they used a Class 325 to haul the mail about the UK.

Just as an aside: down here in deepest Kent Royal Mail used to use 2 MLV's in full Royal Mail livery.

Regards

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi

There are currently no parcel / postal trains running on the Western Region. There are still 6 RES vans at Stoke Gifford Sidings at Bristol Parkway, but these are mothballed. Was hoping for some Christams traffic, but none planned as far as I know.

The terminal at Brsitol Parkway finding relevant employment shuffling air around. About as worthwhile as the Dome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Until the majority of Mail trains were stopped a few years ago, they consisted of loco hauled Super Guvs, Super BGs, PCVs plus the various types of TPO stock and the aformentioned Class 325 EMUs. Bachmann still produce the Super BGs, Lima used to make the Super GUVs, Replica Railways make the PCVs and the TPO stock is available as kits from both Southern Pride and DC Kits. They were generally hauled by a RES Class 47/7 (Heljan) or a class 67 (Hornby). This site has a lot of pictures of the coaches that were used. http://web.ukonline.co.uk/railpics/res.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts