Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Prototype: Royal Prussian Railroad Administration (KPEV) class P8. The locomotive looks as the prototype did with a box-style tender.

Model: The locomotive comes with an mfx decoder and controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a can motor with a bell-shaped armature. 3 axles powered, 2 traction tires. The dual headlights are maintenance-free LED's that change over with the direction of travel. A 72270 smoke generator can be retrofitted into the locomotive. The headlights and the smoke generator contact will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The acceleration and braking delay can be controlled with a Control Unit or Märklin Systems. This model is finely constructed with numerous details typical of the era and a detailed engineer's cab. Reproductions of brake hoses, prototype couplers, and protective sleeves for the cylinder rods can be mounted on the locomotive. There is a close coupler on the tender and a guide mechanism on the coupling between the locomotive and tender. Length over the buffers 21.8 cm / 8-9/16".

Highlights:

• mfx decoder included
  • High-efficiency propulsion with a can motor with a bell-shaped armature
  • Model of the original prototype with a box-style tender
  • Numerous details from the original prototype typical of the era
  • Maintenance-free LED's for headlights

One-time series in 2006 for the Märklin Exclusiv program.

100 Years of the P8 Mystique - Railroad enthusiasts in Germany and Europe have considered the Prussian P8 as one of the most beautiful steam locomotives hands down for the last 100 years. The design for this locomotive quickly proved to be extremely good with a high level of power and remarkable reliability. The immense number of over 3,800 units built from 1906 to 1928 as well as their extraordinary versatility as motive power for passenger, fast passenger, and even for express train service led to remarkably wide use of this locomotive. Numerous locomotive builders took part in the production of this "jack-of-all-trades". The largest number by far of these locomotives built was delivered to the Royal Prussian Railroad Administration (KPEV), but other provincial railroads, foreign railroads, and towards the end of the period in which the P8 was built even the German State Railroad Company (DRG) took delivery of considerable numbers of the locomotive. This finely constructed model reproduces the locomotive as the prototype originally looked immediately after delivery with a box-style tender. At that time the locomotives did not have smoke deflectors on the boiler.

Available Now:
USD$ $394.69

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
This item will also be available in DC format by Trix. It is due for release in August under model number 22023 and will have a 21 pole digital interface. This is a limited run one time production only so if you want one you should really think about ordering now. I have.
It's a beauty.

The P8 will also be available in several different variants including;

Epoch III DB Trix Model 22117
Epoch III DR Trix Model 22026
Epoch III SNCF Trix Model 22333
Epoch III Italian State railways Trix Model 22334

So if you can think of any other P8 variants they haven't got covered please let them know and I'm sure they will sort that out for you.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I got one hand holding the other one back. Maybe I'll get an N-Scale version.

I thought about it long and hard as there are a lot of really good locos out there at the moment. What swung it for me was this is a one time series and also it just looks so good.

Some time you have to say f
it, I want one.
I'm having it

Go for it David, you wont regret it.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
My problem is I also really want this

and this

and this too

and I will be seriously thinking about this when it comes out

Fortunately this a bit over priced as this would have been at the top of the list

I do like the top one you have posted. I would have liked that if they had taken the trouble to make it in HO dc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like that one on top of your post neil. It looks to be a train from the Nazi Germany era, am i correct?, if so, i havent seen it before, and it's a rather nice train

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank God I model British outline OO gauge, or "the boss" would have to take in washing & ironing to make ends meet! Is it my imagination, the photography, or is the standard of these models higher than good old Bachmann & Hornby UK?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Neil, all those exposed pipes, what's Gary going to think?

QUOTE Is it my imagination, the photography, or is the standard of these models higher than good old Bachmann & Hornby UK?
I would rather state that each serves it's own very different market and leave it at that.

As far as the streamliner I have one of those but it needs to be chipped. It's quite famous amongst German enthusiasts and yes it did run during the Nazi era.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Trav @ 20 Jul 2006, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like that one on top of your post neil. It looks to be a train from the Nazi Germany era, am i correct?, if so, i havent seen it before, and it's a rather nice train
Yes it's from that era or Epoch II as it's known. It's my favourite German era as they had a lot of experimental locomotives many of which were streamlined. The German manufacturers don't put the nazi regalia on the trains as it's still illegal in Germany. But they do have the eagle emblem and a blank space where the swastika went. I have never felt it neccessary or appropriate to add this detail.

The loco is a BR06 made by Brawa who make a very high quality product. It can come with installed sound and smoke generator or without. It's my favourite of the DRG streamliners.

If you're interested follow the link below for more information on the prototype.

BR06

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Is it my imagination, the photography, or is the standard of these models higher than good old Bachmann & Hornby UK?

Having gone down this path before I am reluctant to resurect this arguement. Having said that I can't help myself. The German product is better quality, more robust and offers more features but costs more money whereas the UK outline is better value for money. Have a look at some examples in a model shop for confirmation of the above. If you consider buying German models, buy from a German shop as it will cost about half what it does in the UK.

Just one more thing I thought of last night which would be worth mentioning is that the Trix version of the KPEV P8 requires a new 21 pole digital decoder. To the best of my awareness these are only made by Trix at the moment. These cost 30 Euros and thats tax free from Germany so it will be the least you will pay. In the UK you may well pay fifty quid for these judging by some of the silly prices charged for German outline. This is something a potential purchaser may wish to consider as I notice some people are choosy about which decoders they install.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Are they any cheaper?

The words Zimo and cheap do not usually appear in the same sentence unless separated by a negative.

While surfing the Zimo site I downloaded their 2006 new products brochure (hi res 15MByte). At the top of the page on decoders, they state

"ZIMO produces only decoders of highest quality - all models come equipped with all available features - we don't skimp at the cost of good performance - we don't take part in the "contest" on how to build the cheapest decoders and because of that, our price/performance ratio has been always been attractive".

You can get some idea of the pricing of Zimo decoders relative to others on this UK site. Tony's trains may also provide comparison.

The Zimo Mx620 decoder with the ability to play a "whistle" sound is an intriguing prospect.

David

1 - 20 of 39 Posts