Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was asked to put some loco images online to show what I do with them:

This loco is a Brassmasters kit with a few added details - opening hatches on the front footplate area, working reverser, working lamps, working smokebox door etc. The kit is an exceptional one to build, however its not correct for "legion" as the cab was totally different to all other Scots... So I actually combined a Scot kit with + a Brassmasters Jubilee cab to create this loco which was the first of the converted Scots, and became the prototype for the rebuilt Scots.

Here's a sample picture - the rest are in my gallery here
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...um&album=59

Added detail also includes all piping and lubrication lines with piping continuous above and below footplate (the "unions" are actually clips so I can take the body off). The tender has all scoop detail plus economiser brackets, with all linkabes correctly there too. valve gear has proper forked joints. The bodys not weathered yet but the running gear and chassis are very much "in service" with a lot of time spent weathering them accurately. Paint is mostly my own mix of Humbrol with some Floquil + citadel colour used for weathering and metallics - Citadel are really super paints to detail, weather and dry brush with - even though they are acrylic they take to an enamel surface well! Lining is mostly Pressfix with a little pen work too.

Overall somewhere between 150 and 200 hours spent on this one - twice s long as any other loco I've built!

The model has won each contest its been entered in so far - In one case both in category and as "best in show", so I'm pretty pleased with it... However I can assure you I have no special skills other than a determination get it right and not compromise so I keep at it until its right, and am very sure that with care and attention to detail many of you could do exactly the same, so have a go! Building loco's is a great part of the hobby many miss out on, ad thats a shame!

So... I hope the "in-build" pictures encourage a few more modellers to take the plunge and have a go at kit building!

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 3 May 2008, 14:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

I was asked to put some loco images online to show what I do with them:

This loco is a Brassmasters kit with a few added details - opening hatches on the front footplate area, working reverser, working lamps, working smokebox door etc. The kit is an exceptional one to build, however its not correct for "legion" as the cab was totally different to all other Scots... So I actually combined a Scot kit with + a Brassmasters Jubilee cab to create this loco which was the first of the converted Scots, and became the prototype for the rebuilt Scots.

Here's a sample picture - the rest are in my gallery here
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...um&album=59

Added detail also includes all piping and lubrication lines with piping continuous above and below footplate (the "unions" are actually clips so I can take the body off). The tender has all scoop detail plus economiser brackets, with all linkabes correctly there too. valve gear has proper forked joints. The bodys not weathered yet but the running gear and chassis are very much "in service" with a lot of time spent weathering them accurately. Paint is mostly my own mix of Humbrol with some Floquil + citadel colour used for weathering and metallics - Citadel are really super paints to detail, weather and dry brush with - even though they are acrylic they take to an enamel surface well! Lining is mostly Pressfix with a little pen work too.

Overall somewhere between 150 and 200 hours spent on this one - twice s long as any other loco I've built!

The model has won each contest its been entered in so far - In one case both in category and as "best in show", so I'm pretty pleased with it... However I can assure you I have no special skills other than a determination get it right and not compromise so I keep at it until its right, and am very sure that with care and attention to detail many of you could do exactly the same, so have a go! Building loco's is a great part of the hobby many miss out on, ad thats a shame!

So... I hope the "in-build" pictures encourage a few more modellers to take the plunge and have a go at kit building!

Regards

Richard

That is one sweet model and very nice detailing. Lot of time. I am cutting my teeth on repairing locos and will take the plunge sometime.

Many thanks for the images.

basil

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I was about to post pictures of my Br56 that I had weathered recently......but after seeing what Richard has done...........nevermind.

Baykal

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 4 May 2008, 05:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice Richard, I'm sure I have seen this in the BRMA mag as having won a prize before.

***Yes, you've seen it there - it won the contest at the Perth BRMA National Convention.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 4 May 2008, 03:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was about to post pictures of my Br56 that I had weathered recently......but after seeing what Richard has done...........nevermind.

Baykal

***No - put them up Baykal, please - you have some great modelling skill and the more we encourage people to have a go the better!

Besides, we all do things slightly differently so no matter what our skills levels are, we can all learn from each other and I am always interested in things like Weathering and detailing of RTR as well!

Richard

·
Registered
189 Posts
I for one always like to see what others are up to as I prepare to take on the task of building from a kit. Have to make more time first.

I'll view your models and get lots of ideas.

Will have to keep te anorak well dusted.

Basil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellen work Richard and once again words fail me.

I have to admit to preferring dirty locos etc, but sometimes I find it hard to justify considering the initial outlay - one of the advantages of buying second hand I suppose.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 May 2008, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellen work Richard and once again words fail me.

I have to admit to preferring dirty locos etc, but sometimes I find it hard to justify considering the initial outlay - one of the advantages of buying second hand I suppose.

Regards

***As do I - the chassis and running gear are very much "in service", however I've decided to weather the fleet at the same time when the layouts almost done, so the character of the weathering - ie textures hues, style and colours... will be well matched and properly "similar" as they are working in the same area.... Otherwise I run the risk of a loco weathered today looking much too different to one weathered in a few months time.

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Richard,

just a thought,

Was British Legion the member of the class rebuilt from Fury?

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 May 2008, 23:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,

just a thought,

Was British Legion the member of the class rebuilt from Fury?

Regards

**Yes, thats the one

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 7 May 2008, 03:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>**Yes, thats the one

Thank you - I wasn't 100% certain.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts