Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
10,020 Posts
It is interesting to read about your experience with those low cost servos. I am using servos with the same outward appearance as yours but am sticking with ECoS SwitchPilot servos for control. My only problem so far has been the big inrush current at start up so I use a separate AC transformer to provide power to the SwitchPilot and hence the servos themselves.

David

·
Administrator
10,020 Posts
Neat!

David

·
Administrator
10,020 Posts
I tried some RGB strip light but found the white was far too blue and the general balance between the R, G and B was poor. It is very hard to get a good yellow.

I had already tried a combined warm white / cool white strip which was fine except that I could not source a WiFi based controller. Inspired by your work with Arduino I looked into building my own controller I found that strip had a common anode which complicated the drive electronics.

My solution is to have two strips - one warm white and one cool white. This allows me to connect them as common cathode and drive the anodes with MOSFETs which are pulsed from an Adafruit 16 channel PWM controller. I used a Raspberry Pi for the intelligent bit as it was simple to add a USB WiFi dongle. It only needed a few lines of Python to create a light controller server.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts