Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Longfunnelled&tiresome
2,058 Posts
I love looking at your posts - the weathered waggons et al.
QUOTE (sarah @ 19 Nov 2012, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Following an idea from Norman, today I have been investigating the Tri-ang / Hornby Railways 3 arch Viaduct, to see if it could be used as the basis for a narrow canal aqueduct.
Would you believe that the recess in the "floor" to take the track (Originally that would be Super 4 Track.) is exactly the right size to take a scale 8 Foot Wide Cornflake Packet Card Trough?
Beware of that Norm - he lures everyone into recycling cardboard. I can now keep the top of my thumb in a matcbox as a result...
(though I exaggerate a tad)

QUOTE The Trough in the centre leaves a suitable "Towpath" width on either side, though only one side will be used as such, with railings, the other side being paved, and with no railing, as at Chirk Aqueduct.
The short section I made inspired be to go for a full length "conversion".
Pics are still in the camera at the moment.
I love that Chirk pair Have you seen this dramatic Google maps satellite view?:

mebbe you can go on and model the Glyn Valley tramway news item here that passes underneath.

The really scary handrail just oneside is across the Pont Cysllte as shown above. I think that cross section is fascinating because it allows the displaced water to recirculate betow the towpath.
When I crossed both aqueducts on a horseboat the horse had no probs with Chirk but balked at Pont C saying it had no head for heights. While the owner had walk it down and across the packhorse bridge, we had to pull the boat across ourselves, taking turns to rest on the other side, swinging our legs out in space and looking right down onto the top of a cricket match way below.

LF&T

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 21 Nov 2012, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice pics. Was that horse boat the "Pamela" by any chance?
That rings a bell, but our loveable ground hugging horse will have long gone off to the great grasslands in the sky
QUOTE The Aqueduct at Ffrwd (The model one!) is basically one span of the Pontcysllte Aqueduct (45 Feet Span) with a shorter span over the road.
All this talk of Aqueducts has inspired me to at long last put the rest of the girderwork in place on the Ffrwd Aqueduct.

that Telford structure is such an impressive demo of your scratch building skills - with recycled cardboard that even recycling King Norm couldn't smell out when right side up.

QUOTE The Trough is 11Feet wide, with the Towpath built on top of a "girder" structure. The result is that the flow of water tends to pull the boat towards the towpath.
There are holes in the top flange of the "outside". These were for the "missing" hand-rail, which was not fitted to save some money it seems.
Chirk was originally just an Iron Base Plate, but at some point Iron Sides were added to make a trough. There isn't as much space for the water flow, and boats are slower going up towards the tunnel and Trefor.
Most interesting. I remember now something that struck me at the time: how did Telford deal with the possibility of ice fracturing the cast iron trough on Pont Cysllte? Do they just have to make sure to keep ice broken up all the time with an ice breaker boat?
LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
That is a lovely little tableau model; beautifully painted. I love those bridges.
It would be great to play with on my desk - just to the right of my computer, when I'm stuck for ideas.

LF&T

PS
Is it the Falkirk wheel next?

·
2,058 Posts
A very absorbing set of comparison pics!
I've been trying to work out where one might have seen all those LMS jinties in front of the GWR pagoda - in the hills above Wrexham?
I used to enjoy contrasting GWR and LNER steam (in Wales!) at Wrexham General and Wrexham Central stations.

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
QUOTE The crew have to have part of their legs removed, as the floor is too high...

Thats the kind of high and mighty decision making by railway management that brought ASLEF into being

But I will say that once your crews are back on the footplate they look to be 'as happy as the day is long' - clearly its the short days they need to worry about up at ffrwd

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
Very impressed with that Merchant Navy photo sequence - both with the engineering zeal and, (not least) with your total mastery of photo posting onto MRF.

Just one question:
For what is this project intended? Do you have another canal/SR main line cameo 'lined' up? Exeter canal perhaps? Or Wey & Arun?

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 2 Aug 2013, 19:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I messed that last quote up (as usual), but didn't see it until it was tooooo late!

My reply to Norm should have read...Hi Norm.
There are a few things to do. (I have been visiting Modelzone and picking up some stuff while I still can!
)
Norm
I did enjoy it as it was.
You finding yourself trapped inside the Quote bubble reminded me of ..um - ah yes: "The Graduate" - where Dustin Hoffman is in the Diving Helmet trying to communicate with the outside world.

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 9 Aug 2013, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Photographing models out of doors like this does help to get the best light on themI agree.
I was lucky enough years ago (before the use of computers in building) to work with an outstanding building scientist.
He (Alex Hardy) published a brilliant method of photographing projected buildings in their landscape setting. He'd set the building model on a (portable tripod) plinth then frame the pic from well back against the desired backgound.
That way he achieved two things: an effective depth of field using a fairly average camera and also a good even spread of natural light both on the subject and the background.
I still think his very straightforward way of doing this is preferable to the artificial looking cad images we are bombarded with nowadays.

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
The few more pics:
QUOTE (sarah @ 10 Aug 2013, 10:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....a few more pics...are really beautiful

and thanks too for your response to my query about the J72.
I used to enjoy riding in Gresley carriages into Wales (while looking at tasteful water colour carriage prints of East Anglian seascapes) from Seacombe over Queensferry bridge to Wrexham Central, but never a serious "spotter", I can only recall ex GCR tanks.
I don't think I learnt until years later of the extraordinary build history of the little Wilson Worsdell NER locos from 1898 right down into the 1950s BR era !

LF&T

·
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (StuB @ 25 Aug 2013, 09:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.......I thought something didn't look quite right. I think it is the grooves between the planks on the sides. They would normally create a shadow and so would be darker that the sides which you have in some places but some are light. It is the sort of thing that often looks ok when you look at the actual wagon but then shows up in a photo.A very interesting point and tip - in this case it was of course exacerbated by it being a flash photo.
...all of which further endorses the value of
QUOTE Very nice series of photos. The outdoor ones are particularly effective.(my emphasis)

LF&T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.