Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Some very nice work there, love the extent & level of detail in the coal office alone, not to mention the immediate surrounding area - great stuff. Look forward to seeing the next installment; on your very long list !

Good luck & Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi again Sarah,

Again a really nice model / addition to your layout there. That area has got a really good atmosphere to it - great stuff well done.

You mentioned that you did the signs (MK 2) for the coal merchants on the computer, what did you use out of interest, they look really good. Bet you wish you went for a shorter name though LOL !

Also I like the effect you have got on the corrugated roof, I have been trying to paint a carriage shed roof (Ratio model not scratch built I am afraid); but cant seem to get an effect anywhere as good as yours - any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the detailed reply / info. on both the signs & the painting of the corrugated roofing. I will have a go at both. I think the signs "look" really smart & assistin adding both great detail & character to the scene. Did you also do the smaller sign on the side of the coal office in the same way ?

I have taken a pic of my roofing painting efforts to date on the carriage shed, & will post it on my loft layout thread, so you can see where I am at present !

Thanks again, Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi & thanks again Sarah,

Yes some of the old black & white phots can be a really good source material.

Going to have a try on the roof painting this weekend using your technique, will let you know how it goes !

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi agian Sarah,

Thats a really nice step to give the sign's above, & they are great.

Would you think of sending the image file, in the software you used, as I would like to "tweak" the posted images a bit for a GWR slant. No probs if not. They do look great tho'

Thanks,

Norm

PS. Was the roof that bad LOL ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

You have been busy ! Are you planning to incorporate the final turntable, in what ever configuration that maybe, into your layout ? I have to say I like the over girder / shallow well configuration; but its amazing how much of a difference the addition of plate girders / other elements of different kits, makes to the overall appearance of the original Hornby turntable.

The other issue with the Hornby turntable I have found being its overall size, it needs / takes up a lot of space to fit into a layout.

Good luck with your ponerings / experiments. Also thanks again for the signs info. Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi again Sarah,

The T/T is looking really good after its paint job, great stuff, well done.

Sure you wont be finding it a home on the layout now, even at a squeeze LOL ?

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I would have siad it was more a "joint" idea LOL !

Look forward to seeing the pics when power permits them to escape from the camera.

Cheers,

Norm

PS. I will take some of the Metcalfe viaduct would be aqueduct mods wip later as well hopefully !

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

That hornby viaduct was really a great fit for the canal, & cornflakes box does an ideal job. Looking really good. What are you thinking of modelling the water in / with ?

I have now added a couple of test bits of timber as toepaths on each side of the central waterway, at the moment given the 100mm overall width of the kit, I just through the size of the timber have split it into a 40mm channel with two 30mm toe paths. But think I may reduce one toe path by 15mm or so & add this to the channel / canal width - would this stack up dims wise to the real thing ? As a model I think in my un educated waterways mind, it would not look too bad LOL !! A wip pic below;

Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Urban design

Look forward to seeing yours progress, Cheers,

Norm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Thats a great 1st pic of your aquaduct - which Narrow / Canal boat model was that; the fly sheets / tarpauins are Fellows Morton & Clayton ? After my time in Notts know that outlet well LOL !

Another question, you know me, how did you finish / mask the viewed end of the aqueduct - mine will be the 1st view of the layout ?

Mind that LF&T's comments, I was informed its all about getting his hands out of the box - but its only a rumour LOL !!!!

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Thanks once again for more excellent canal / waterways info. your knowledge never ceases to astound me !!! The links are excellent & the photos of your 2010 trip - WOW what a journey / route; must have been your heaven - canals in fantastic condition & steam trains !!!!!!! Some really great pics in particular I loved the Hazle..... aqueduct tunnel shot, with the brickwork on the skew, always a favourite of mine; also the view of the station with the DMU (* could be wrong ther no doubt), but in the station.Also liked a lot of the others; have done a few canal trips, including through the centre, well underneath Brum - very odd & imensley enjoyable trips.

Our minds have been maybe taking a similar route in terms of viaduct to canal basin; mine just in principle, yours in detail. But like the sound of the wide acqueduct channel 15ft / 60mm option, & an off "camera transfer from the high level viaduct into the basin. I have discovered a Langley Models Lock Gates kit in my boxes;

Brown Rectangle Font Box Wood

.... this maybe could form the entry into the basin at low level; with a bit of work. So the plan might be forming LOL !!!!

I also have done a bit of searching for narrow boats / canal boats & othe suitable craft; & at the moment am leaning towards the Langley kits (* but they are white metal - would be a new venture for me !!!!!) for all ie Viaduct / Aqueduct & a couple of different models inc. maybe a tug in the basin; but these without covers to be being loaded, or that sort of thing in the basin, or the Mountford Covered Barge for the Aqueduct - which looks similar to your FM&C boat. So I think a plan is coming together, thanks in the main part to your boundless knowledge - which again is very much appreciated.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I still think your "Iron Bridge" model (* with the cornflake boxes - of course I didn't spot them - LF&T LOL !!!!), was another great example of your scratch building skills. Are you intending to find a home for the latest hornby viaduct / aqueduct on your layout - hope so ?

Thanks again, will put an update on my loft layout (** stop clogging up your thread - soz !!!!!), over the weekend, of the bits starting to be put onto the layout hopefully. No doubt will also be back with more questions before or after LOL !!!!! Cheers,

Norm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the latest Canal boat info & the links, a couple of which I did have a look at the other day, as always much appreciated. A bit more thinking time methinks, before deciding on the boat fronts, during which I can hopefully get the aqueduct & lock links in place in the loft. Many thanks, Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Well that was a good find or should that be "bit of sorting out"; lookslike a very nice model, also like the B/W paint job you have done since finding it, very Dutch' esk LOL !

I have a feeling with many more discoveries like that, you will need to have an extension on the layout / boat ?

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

A very Happy New Year to you & yours.

Lots of excellent progress it seems since my last visit, all very very nice & wonderfully detailed as always. I do like the overall "feel" of your layout / models & as for the use of Cornflakes packets, I can feel a national shortage occurring v. v soon LOL !!!!

As always look forward to following your progress, Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

You must be going cross eyed having painted all thoughs figures, with such great detail as well - scarfs, hats, etc; they look really nice; very time consuming or is it a form of relaxation LOL ?

Also very much like the array of Jinty's through the ages / levels of model makers development, its interesting to see in a single picture just how things develop or not as the case / opinion may be.

Great stuff as always, Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Excellent work & step by step pics as always. Really like the additional detail & the "difference" a bit of life / colour makes !

I am sure I have an old Wrenn Jinty in the Loft somewhere, I will have to find it & see perhaps how that compares to your earlier line up.

On a totally different subject but one I know is close to you heart, is there a good reference source for Canal / Narrow / Working boats paint colours please ?

Thanks in advance & keep up the great work, Cheers,

Norm

PS. Gantry SB commenced !

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Went hunting in the loft earlier & found the previously mentioned Wrenn Jinty, I have added a couple of pics in my album, not the best shots, but one thing I spotted / remembered being the body was fixed by a screw through / down the funnel - not sure if this was as original or an adaption during its "long" life. Also it weighs a ton !!!!

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Thanks again for all of the info. on the various colour schemes through the ages. I think for the first boat I am going to go with the Oxford & Cambridge Blues scheme, as that was the colours of my old & first hockey club many years ago, so a bit of sentimental appeal if nothing else more scientific LOL !!!!!

On a different matter of the Wrenn Jinty, as can be seen on the picture, its not possible to add a crew to the cab on that version, as a large chunk of the motor all but fills the cab space !

Good luck on your Jinty project front though, Cheers,

Norm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.