Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 10 Aug 2013, 10:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In a word, yes...

The LNER had the ex GCR/ Wrexam Mold and Connah's Quay Railway. Wrexham Central, Exchange, and up to Hawarden (and around to Chester Northgate etc.)

This had a branch to Ffrwd Ironworks, and some collieries in the Moss Valley, north of Wrexham.

The GWR also served Wrexham, and had a network of branches including one up the Moss Vallet to Ffrwd Ironworks.

Also see the Ffrwd Locks threads in my Signature below...

Weirdly the J72s will have been provided by Bidston shed on the Wirral - a longstanding arrangement dating back to MSLR/GCR days. They travelled down the central Wirral line to gain the ex-WMCQ metals at Dee Marsh Junction, then across the Dee and reversing onto a connection with the WMCQ (ex Buckley Railway) line to access the Connah's Quay low-level dockside lines, diving underneath the LNWR North Wales Coast line in the process.
Previously ex GCR J62 0-6-0 tanks were supplied in both saddle and side tank form.
There was a small outstation shed at Connah's on the aforementioned Buckley Railway line, where the loco was kept when out of use.

The Buckley line itself was worked by Wrexham Rhosddu allocated locos, usually ex-GER J67 and J69 tanks.

Other Wrexham allocated ex-LNER locos included ex-GCR N5 and C13 locos.

Weird - but a very intersting locality for it, railway-wise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Inspirational work (as ever) on the A4.

It has been suggested and some have attempted to use this body to get a decent A4 body for the latest A4 Bachmann chassis - as opposed to the overtly humpy, Trix-derived body it currently sports, the tender is a very handy variation too - for the spares box.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your Hornby Compound - is it the earlier tender-drive 'Deeley' type with no coal rails - on a longer tender wheelbase - or the later SWB coal rail tender as used on the Patriot and later Hornby version of the compound ? - as I may have a spare complete tender top....

·
Registered
282 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 11 Apr 2015, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some numbers and other lettering to do...and a new location...possibly Wrexham...

Wrexham - does not seem to have had any shunters trucks - dunno why.

Tenuous 'localish' ones include:

Saltney
41144 M5 Diag
41777 M1 Diag
Birkenhead
41845 M1 Diag
Birkenhead Extension Line (to Dock system)
41834 M1 Diag
Birkenhead Morpeth Dock
41741 M2 Diag
41742 M2 Diag
41751 M2 Diag

HTH

·
Registered
282 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 24 May 2015, 18:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that list.

Useful stuff.

Well, in my universe, Croes Newydd shed will gain a Shunters "chariot"...as will the Yard....eventually!

I am busy sorting out some suplus bits to re-finance other projects at the moment......

Big fan of Croes Newydd (after all it was coded 6C after 1963!!) - yes unusual that Saltney got one or two.......but none at Wrexham...

I'm researching Iron Ore trains to Brymbo - via CN at the mo.. fascinating...

·
Registered
282 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 15 Jul 2015, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Iron Ore Trains to Brymbo!
In my universe, those trains go to Ffrwd Steelworks!
(Ffrwd works being developed instead of Brymbo....)
Sounds interesting stuff....
I have read that at least one of these workings was known as "The Hook Norton"....

Ffrwd - an evocative name too...

Brymbo ironworks up until 1927 received all of the ironstone output of Hook Norton quarries in Oxfordshire - quite a trip in those days....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the 6 wheel toad walk-through.

Wondering if they were for special workings as have just discovered they were 24 tonners...?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Seems originally when new, most were allocated to Aberdare and used pretty exclusive on heavy London coal hauls, with the extra weight for the weight of train rather than gradient etc.

From the prototypes Oxford have modelled - later allocations included : Swindon, Bordesley Junc., Wolverhampton and Bridport. It seems during WW2 allocations became more widespread.

·
Registered
282 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 17 Sep 2018, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So....heavy coal trains. Makes sense.

Well, my one will be allocated to Croes Newydd Yard....

Heavy Iron Ore trains up the hill to Ffrwd Ironworks, and the emties back down!

Excellent - have seen photos of GWR RODS, 28xx, 66xx and Granges being flogged up to Brymbo on Iron Ore workings, must have been quite a spectacle especially, with the speed restrictions on that line!.

Looking forward to seeing your views/work on the iron ore trains - have done a bit of work myself - mostly research on the hoppers and workings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.