Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 280 Posts

· Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,299 Posts
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 21 Nov 2012, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah,

That hornby viaduct was really a great fit for the canal, & cornflakes box does an ideal job. Looking really good. What are you thinking of modelling the water in / with ?

I have now added a couple of test bits of timber as toepaths on each side of the central waterway, at the moment given the 100mm overall width of the kit, I just through the size of the timber have split it into a 40mm channel with two 30mm toe paths. But think I may reduce one toe path by 15mm or so & add this to the channel / canal width - would this stack up dims wise to the real thing ? As a model I think in my un educated waterways mind, it would not look too bad LOL !! A wip pic below;

View attachment 3560

Look forward to seeing yours progress, Cheers,

Norm

With 100mm width to play with, it may be possible to have a "wide" canal Aqueduct. That is a channel width of a scale 14 Feet 6 Inches to 15 Feet.

15 Feet would be 60mm, so it is a definate possibility. The Towing Path would be on one side, again, with the other paved but unused.

That would open up the possibility of a fictional branch off, or a location on, the Grand Union Canal, London to Birmingham via Watford Gap, Leamington Spa, Warwick, and Knowle. Some of that is possible GWR territory as well....

Your low level basin could be a branch of the "main" canal, dropping through locks that are not modelled. See Hazlehurst Junction on the Caldon Canal (Trent & Mersey Canal Branch.)

http://www.churnet.co.uk/caldoncanal.php

Some Canal and Railway photos here!

http://www.luphen.org.uk/public/2010/caldoncanal1.htm

The water in my canal(s) is just a plain piece of card, painted brownish, and to be gloss varnished. A Water Line model can then just be placed on top, or for a more permanent result, glued down and varnished around.

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 21 Nov 2012, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That rings a bell, but our loveable ground hugging horse will have long gone off to the great grasslands in the sky

that Telford structure is such an impressive demo of your scratch building skills - with recycled cardboard that even recycling King Norm couldn't smell out when right side up.

Most interesting. I remember now something that struck me at the time: how did Telford deal with the possibility of ice fracturing the cast iron trough on Pont Cysllte? Do they just have to make sure to keep ice broken up all the time with an ice breaker boat?
LF&T

The "Hostlel Boat" Pamela was a horse drawn passenger boat that for a time worked as a sort of floating Youth Hostel. I believe she did trips up to Llangollen. Yes, this was some time ago. The last time I saw the Pamela was back in the later 1980s, with a wooden motor boat named Avon. Harry Ashcroft had them then.

My first Aqueduct model was in 12mm to 1 Foot scale, and I worked from the Telford drawings(!). This was also Cornflake Card. Now scrapped, the 4mm model was based on the earlier research. This one is not 100 percent "correct" though.

The water on the Aqueduct does not freeze too often, as there is a significient current...

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 21 Nov 2012, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah,

Thats a great 1st pic of your aquaduct - which Narrow / Canal boat model was that; the fly sheets / tarpauins are Fellows Morton & Clayton ? After my time in Notts know that outlet well LOL !

Another question, you know me, how did you finish / mask the viewed end of the aqueduct - mine will be the 1st view of the layout ?

Mind that LF&T's comments, I was informed its all about getting his hands out of the box - but its only a rumour LOL !!!!

Cheers,

Norm

The Narrow Boat model is a detailed and customised "Craftline Models" Balsa Wood kit. It has been around for a while, but I have only very recently dug out the box with some canal bits in.

This boat represents one of the Motor Boats of Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd., in the "later" colour scheme. (The full size boat was built in the 1930s.)
FMC were independant traders, and lasted until the Waterways were nationalised. That year they made their first trading loss, and sold out to the BTC, Docks and Inland Waterways Executive, known better as British Waterways. The FMC boats were slowly intergrated and re-painted into BW livery. This model boat must be due for a re-paint soon...

The "end of the Aqueduct" has yet to be constructed, but it will have to be "cut off" at the board edge.

More Canal Boat Kits...

"Craftline Models".

These kits were part of a range of models. They included;

Motor and "Butty" (Unpowered "Trailers") Boats "loaded" with side cloths up.

Motor and "Butty" (Unpowered "Trailers") Boats "loaded" with "Top Cloths" (A triangle of solid balsa!). My boat above was one of the Motor Boat kits.

There were also "Cabin Boats", modern holiday boats. one was a shorter boat, C 40 Feet long I think, another was a longer boat.

Craftline also made Narrow lock gate kits, complete with cast White Metal Paddle gear and wire handrails. Twin Bottom Gates (But without "Gate Paddles" and a Single Top gate. (Some Worcester and Birmingham Canal locks are a bit like this kit.)

Another Craftline model was the "Llangollen Canal" "Dutch Style" Lift Bridge. These crop up on a few model railways, but until very recently, these bridges were a "Welsh Cut" speciallity.

These models are a bit battered, as they have not been stored very well. 2 of the Crafline boats were second hand as well.

"Motor Boat With Side Cloths" (As supplied. Second hand.)

"Butty Boat With Side Cloths" (Detailed and modified model, bashed and missing the rudder.)

"Motor Boat With Top Cloths" (Detailed...)

"Butty Boat With Top Cloths" (As supplied. Second hand.)

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
More Canal Boat Kits, Part 2

There are a few more interesting kits by Craftline, including a model of the re-created Colliery at the Black Country Museum.

Here are a couple of sorces...

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Craft_...etc__1_76_.html

http://canalcargo.co.uk/acatalog/Models.html

A range of kits, etc. was made by Garth Allan. It seems that the Tewkesbury Model Shop that took over the range does not have much in stock, if any by now.

http://www.garthallan.co.uk/kits.htm

http://www.tewkesbury-toys.demon.co.uk/page62.html

Here are a couple of models from this range...

The kit was the "President", a Preserved Steam Boat, and the Butty Northwich, only suitable as supplied for pre WW1 or Modern Image use.
I have converted the cabin of the Percy Dent (!) to a Motor Boat type, and there I stopped for some time!

The butty is as supplied, with added paint.

Another card model was a Waterline Model of the Samuel Barlow Motor Boat Ian. This seems to have gone out of production, as I cannot find reference to it on the net!

This had layers that could be stuck over some printed detail to give some relief.

Mine has seen better days!

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 22 Nov 2012, 21:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah,

Thanks once again for more excellent canal / waterways info. your knowledge never ceases to astound me !!! The links are excellent & the photos of your 2010 trip - WOW what a journey / route; must have been your heaven - canals in fantastic condition & steam trains !!!!!!! Some really great pics in particular I loved the Hazle..... aqueduct tunnel shot, with the brickwork on the skew, always a favourite of mine; also the view of the station with the DMU (* could be wrong ther no doubt), but in the station.Also liked a lot of the others; have done a few canal trips, including through the centre, well underneath Brum - very odd & imensley enjoyable trips.

Our minds have been maybe taking a similar route in terms of viaduct to canal basin; mine just in principle, yours in detail. But like the sound of the wide acqueduct channel 15ft / 60mm option, & an off "camera transfer from the high level viaduct into the basin. I have discovered a Langley Models Lock Gates kit in my boxes;

View attachment 3563

.... this maybe could form the entry into the basin at low level; with a bit of work. So the plan might be forming LOL !!!!

I also have done a bit of searching for narrow boats / canal boats & othe suitable craft; & at the moment am leaning towards the Langley kits (* but they are white metal - would be a new venture for me !!!!!) for all ie Viaduct / Aqueduct & a couple of different models inc. maybe a tug in the basin; but these without covers to be being loaded, or that sort of thing in the basin, or the Mountford Covered Barge for the Aqueduct - which looks similar to your FM&C boat. So I think a plan is coming together, thanks in the main part to your boundless knowledge - which again is very much appreciated.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I still think your "Iron Bridge" model (* with the cornflake boxes - of course I didn't spot them - LF&T LOL !!!!), was another great example of your scratch building skills. Are you intending to find a home for the latest hornby viaduct / aqueduct on your layout - hope so ?

Thanks again, will put an update on my loft layout (** stop clogging up your thread - soz !!!!!), over the weekend, of the bits starting to be put onto the layout hopefully. No doubt will also be back with more questions before or after LOL !!!!! Cheers,

Norm

The Canals and Railways go together well, hence the Railway and Canal Historical Society.
With relations on the railways, and friends who worked on the Canals, we do have some resources!

I should perhaps point out that the trip photos are not mine! (Funny enough, the Caldon Canal is one bit of the Canal System we haven't been down, yet!)

That Langley kit is well detailed, there are even the Paddle holes in the gates. This kit is for a Wide Lock, 14 Feet or so wide, and would take a "pair" of Narrow Boats (Motor and Butty) side by side, or 1 barge, 14Ft Wide. So, it would fit with the Wide Aqueduct.

"Tugs" were never that common on the Canals. They were mainly used in areas with long lengths with no locks, so that they could tow "trains" of un-powered boats. Most common on the Birmingham Canal Navigations, or BCN, where they towed trains of boats from the collieries to power stations and steelworks. amongst other traffics.

Most Tugs were shorter than the full length narrow boats, 50 and 60 feet not being uncommon, and usually had a back cabin, and a large engine room (Housing a large engine! Some were large lorry engines.), with the rest of the length being secked over.

The Tri-ang Aqueduct is an experimental model....

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 25 Nov 2012, 06:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I picked up a couple of cheap models of narrow boats the year we did the Llangollen Canal, in a canal shop along side the Shropshire Union. I didn't pay more than a couple of quid each and the detail was impressive. We started from Stoke on Trent
and did the four counties ring as well as the Llangollen. Pity we had to rush as we only had the boat for two weeks.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is wonderful structure, especially when you cross it in a narrow boat. The bye wash on the Llangollen is the strongest I've ever encountered and makes for an interesting trip. The canal is really a reservoir for the whole of Cheshire and greater Manchester. I like your modelling it's very interesting.

Not a bad run for 2 weeks!

Some of the "Ready Made" models are very good ornaments, but leave a lot to be desired in terms of "accuracy" in dimensions, etc.

These are more akin to the Rovex and Tri-ang "6 Inch" LMS Coaches rather than the Bachmann Mk1 Coaches.

As you said, the "Llangollen Canal",(or the Welsh Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal, or The Ellesmere and Chester Canal, or The Ellesmere Canal) is a feeder to Hurleston Reservoir, near Nantwich. This Reservoir was originally built to feed water into the Chester Canal Summit level (Bunbury Locks to Nantwich.) later the main line of the Shropshire Union Canal.

When the canal system was being run down, the Reservoir was transfered to the Water Authority to provide drinking water, and there is now a large water treatment plant adjacent to the Reservoir.

It supplies mainly the Crewe and Nantwich area.

Several other canal reservoirs were also transfered all over the country....

Now the canal only gets the lockage water from Hurleston Locks, unless the Reservoir is too full, then the extra runs off into the Chester Canal.

A main source of supply to the SUC, as well as the Belvide Reservoir (and also a source for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal) is the large Sewage Treatment Works at Barnhurst, adjacent to the top end of the SUC and the SWC.

I am sorting stuff out again, but will get back to some modelling soon....

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Crafline Models "Llangollen Canal" Dutch Type Lifting Bridge.

This is a model out of our Canal Stuff Box. It was made some time ago, and I have now done some more work on it, including making a base.

There is a bit of detailing, including changing the wire supplied to connect the bridge deck to the beams with some chain.

Not finished off, but still nice.

Later.....

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 6 Dec 2012, 20:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is a lovely little tableau model; beautifully painted. I love those bridges.
It would be great to play with on my desk - just to the right of my computer, when I'm stuck for ideas.

LF&T

PS
Is it the Falkirk wheel next?

Well that is an Idea. I did build the Anderton Lift out of LEGO once...

QUOTE (dwb @ 6 Dec 2012, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's very nice

The moveable bridges down our way are all swing bridges

David

Then there is the Oxford Canal Lift Bridges...

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 7 Dec 2012, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>there are lots of those lovely lift bridges on the Llangollen Canal lovely modelling Sarah

Thanks. It is a very good kit to begin with. The Craftline Lock Gates are also good (Watch out, I have some of them as well!) being made from Wood...

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Putting the crew into the Bachmann BR Standard 4MT Tank Loco...

The body is held on by 5 (Five) Screws. 2 are "hidden" under the side tanks. A thin shaft cross head screwdriver is required to slip down between the side rods and valve gear!

The speedometer drive would need to be unscrewd from the crank end. (The linkage on my S/H model was already missing, so no problem.)

The Injector pipework is mounted on a bracket that is a tight fit over the chassis.

It took me a while to work out how to free the pipes, as they are attached to the body

(I took a knife to the bracket sides and removed a sliver from the bracket both sides of the frame to make it easier to get back together. I also glued the bracket to the floor of the cab to hold it in place!)

The cab back and bunker is a seperate moulding, held onto the "body frame" by two screws. The rest of the body, boiler and side tanks is held on by 1 screw in the "firebox" area.

I have painted in the backhead detail, and the Cab floor.

The Driver is a Tri-ang figure. The Fireman is from the Dapol (Ex Airfix) Railway Figures Set.

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A bit of Photoshop "Magic" there...

I have been doing a bit. Putting real coal in bunkers, crew in cabs, and a bit of Weathering to a few locos.

These are of the Bachmann 43XX that is almost "finished" now, with Crew added. (Bachmann Figures too...)

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
QUOTE (theakerr @ 13 Dec 2012, 23:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah, nice to see some shots of a model, not an attempt to make it look like the "real thing" and I dont mean for this to be a negative statement in any shape or form.

Hi.

I think I may know what you mean. Some mags do rather heavily edit the illustrations, adding complete backgrounds, smoke, etc.

I hope I get in between....

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
The Ffrwd Aqueduct again....

I have finally built the "other" abutment. Cornflake packet again.

I have used some more up-to-date foliage on this, and replaced the Lichen on the Roadside Abutment as well.

Mainly Woodland Scenics, as used on the Tree.

The Abutment...

The stone courses were "scribed" into the card while it was flat!.

Painted with Acrylics, "mortar" lines inked in, then matt varnish, then powdered pastels, black mainly, dusted on and wiped down.

In Situ...

The Road Arch of the Aqueduct has a Low Headroom of about 12 Feet (Scale).

I have made up a sign, based on one in Nottingham.

It says:

WARNING
LOW BRIDGE
12' 0" HEADROOM

The "Old Road Signs Font" is downloadable from the "Fun Stuff" "Fonts" Section on the CBRD Site

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/

Together with some white markers, and a Road Sign on the Abutment, this should help avoid any bridge bashing!

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks for the comments.

That Glebe Street Bridge is interesting, and very inspiring for a model! Most certainly worth a look....

I see that the Black and Yellow paint is a bit scratched!
So things are still "bashing" that bridge!

The Ffrwd Aqueduct has claerance for a Crosville Leyland Titan TD1, but a Leyland PD2 is too high.

I see that a model of a Crosvill Bristol Lodekka is available. Another must get I suppose.

The Lodekka was a design of Double Decker with decreased headroom, hence the name. Previous "Low-Bridge" designs had the to deck arranged wit a sunken side gangway to lower the headroom, this also lowered the headroom available on the lower deck!

In other news...

I have put in the "staff" crossing from the signal box to the goods yard/P way siding, and a few other small bits.

There has been an influx of various vintage "jinty" tank locos. A photo-shoot for the "Collectors Corner"...

I have been painting a pack of Dapol figures. The Track workers and Loco Crew (Ex late Airfix) pack. Very good moulding and detail.

Photos to come when they escape from the camera!

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
A Happy New Year to all my readers!

Here are some photos...

Dapol Figures, after painting...

Some "Jinty" comparisons...

1950s Tri-ang and Bachmann..

Late 1956 Polystyrene plastic Tri-ang and Bachmann..

3 Hornby Railways Models, earliest at the front, the old tooling, then the new tooling, and then the most recent I have, was a DCC set loco...

The LMS and BR liveries from Hornby Railways.

Hornby (Latest)

Bachmann

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
QUOTE (sarah @ 5 Jan 2013, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A Happy New Year to all my readers!

Here are some photos...

>SNIPPED

Some "Jinty" comparisons...

>SNIPPED

2 Hornby Railways Models, earliest at the front, the old tooling, then the new tooling, and then The Bachmann Version!

>SNIPPED

Hornby (Latest) the most recent I have, was a DCC set loco...

Bachmann

Hi Norm. Yep, gone crosseyed. I have corrected the "deliberate" (not!) mistake above!

The painting took a few days though...

QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 6 Jan 2013, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah,

You must be going cross eyed having painted all thoughs figures, with such great detail as well - scarfs, hats, etc; they look really nice; very time consuming or is it a form of relaxation LOL ?

Also very much like the array of Jinty's through the ages / levels of model makers development, its interesting to see in a single picture just how things develop or not as the case / opinion may be.

Great stuff as always, Cheers,

Norm

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 6 Jan 2013, 00:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A very absorbing set of comparison pics!
I've been trying to work out where one might have seen all those LMS jinties in front of the GWR pagoda - in the hills above Wrexham?
I used to enjoy contrasting GWR and LNER steam (in Wales!) at Wrexham General and Wrexham Central stations.

LF&T

Hi LF&T.

That is correct, Ffrwd is in the hills above Wrexham, near Cefn-Y-Bedd.

The LMS had running powers from the old LNWR line to Wrexham (Hightown Loco Depot), which ran from the Chester to Crewe line, through Wrexham Central and via a link line, up the Moss valley, through Ffrwd, and on to Coed Talon.

(Well, in my universe anyway!)

In the Real World, the Wrexham Mold and Connah's Quay line was for a time vested in the LMR Region of British railways, before the LM Region got its paws on the whole of North Wales!

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 13 Jan 2013, 17:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah,
I thought Stoke bridge was getting enough punishment ........

http://www.prochan.com/embed?f=e53_1351184775"

I do like the detail on your layout. The signal box looks very like one I have from Bachmann, also named Highley. I couldn't help noticing the inside features you included. May I ask where you obtained the Lever Frame from? I like the fireplace too, although I might try a simple pot stove, of the sort the Gov't used everywhere, with a flickering LED where the lower door is or through an open top .... they must have bought a job lot of over a million .....

Julian

Hi Julian.

Wow, that is some video...

Despite the warning lights and signs, the drivers just keep on going!

The Ratio Kit Signal Box is based on Highley, on the Severn Valley Railway. The Bachmann Scenecraft "Ready To Plant" building came much later. (Why they made a model of the very same Signal Box will remain a mystery, condidering th enumber of Signal Boxes out there!
)

The Signal 'box is the Ratio "Highley" kit with a few mods.

The Real Highley Box has the rodding tunnel under the ground as it exits the locking room (Under a road.). So there is no "exit" for the rodding above ground.

http://www.highleystation.co.uk/

The wall below the windows is not really tall enough to cut a hole in for the rodding.

I used Wills Brick sheets to make a plinth around the base of the locking room. It is simply glued on top of the existing walls. This makes the box a little taller (a bit less than 1cm in my case.)

The locking room door frame was modified to give it a window over the door to take up the excess height. The kit door was used.

I didn't lengthen the stairs (probably the best option). I was thinking of having the box against the platform ramp, so that the stairs would land part way up the ramp. In the end I have made some "concrete" (Plastic Card Painted) steps to make up the excess height. (There is bound to be a "prototype" example out there!)

The levers/quadrants/wire tensioners/signalman/chair/train register desk/coal box/clock/telephone/block bells and instruments are from the Wills Finecast interior kit. (which includes more levers and quadrants, block bells and instruments, wire tensioners and a shelf for the block bells etc. It does come with a small stove, which I have used in Mr. Sylvester's Coal Order Office.)

The track diagram, and the block shelf and supports are from plasticard.

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
The Bachmann "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Loco. Getting into the cab....

QUOTE (Grifter_Guru @ 29 Dec 2012, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basically, you have to the chassis out to begin (I know, Obvious right?).

Next, Locate the TWO screws under the bunker, the TWO screws in the forward end of the splashers for the rear drivers, the TWO screws between the first and second driver splashers and the SINGLE screw under the smokebox So, that's SEVEN screws, not including those required to get the chassis out in the first place.

Once you have the upper body separated from the running plate, you should have complete access to the entire cab and backhead. I will just say, you need to take care as the body can be awkward to deal with at times.

First the two NEM pockets have to be removed, as they cover the two screws that hold the chassis into the body...

The Chassis removed. The Seven Screws mentioned above are also there.

The component parts. I didn't manage to get the cab free from the bunker...

The Side Tanks have large amounts of metal inside them. Bacmann have made it so the sandbox fillers can be changed for the models without the "keyhole" fillers.

The back of the cab and bunker.

And with some paint...and the Fireman added.

The boiler backhead detail...A right hand drive loco this...

And painted...

The Driver fitted. The lever reverser is attached to the footplate.

· Dragon Trainer
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Hi Norm.

There are a couple of books on narrow boat "Liveries".

Now, depending on the sort of time period you require, the Langley Model's boats are quite easy.

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Liveries.

C1935 - The coronation (C1936?)

Two shades of blue and white. Oxford Blue panel, White Line, Cambridge Blue outline. White lettering (Shaded Black?).

The Coronation Colours.

Red, White, and Blue, Red panel, White Line, Blue outline. White lettering Shaded Black.

C1940 - C1950

To follow....

21 - 40 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.