Model Railway Forum banner
141 - 160 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I like the use of the natural background. Photographing models out of doors like this does help to get the best light on them, I think, which helps to do justice to your modelling skills!

Regards,
John

·
Longfunnelled&tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 9 Aug 2013, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Photographing models out of doors like this does help to get the best light on themI agree.
I was lucky enough years ago (before the use of computers in building) to work with an outstanding building scientist.
He (Alex Hardy) published a brilliant method of photographing projected buildings in their landscape setting. He'd set the building model on a (portable tripod) plinth then frame the pic from well back against the desired backgound.
That way he achieved two things: an effective depth of field using a fairly average camera and also a good even spread of natural light both on the subject and the background.
I still think his very straightforward way of doing this is preferable to the artificial looking cad images we are bombarded with nowadays.

LF&T

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts

QUOTE Well, I have, (been) for a change,.................... Nice outfit..........like the Platform shoes............

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 9 Aug 2013, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like the use of the natural background. Photographing models out of doors like this does help to get the best light on them, I think, which helps to do justice to your modelling skills!

Regards,
John

Hi John.

Thanks. The tracks are on a small board (a shelf) and were especially made for photographing models. It helps that there is a large field local to me.

QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 9 Aug 2013, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, its me again Sarah.
I forgot to ask whether there would actually have been GW panniers and LNER J72s working together around Wrexham in the North Wales coalfield.

LF&T

Hi LF&T.

Thanks...you cannot beat natural lighting....

In a word, yes...

The LNER had the ex GCR/ Wrexam Mold and Connah's Quay Railway. Wrexham Central, Exchange, and up to Hawarden (and around to Chester Northgate etc.)

This had a branch to Ffrwd Ironworks, and some collieries in the Moss Valley, north of Wrexham.

The GWR also served Wrexham, and had a network of branches including one up the Moss Vallet to Ffrwd Ironworks.

Also see the Ffrwd Locks threads in my Signature below...

QUOTE (David Todd @ 10 Aug 2013, 08:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.................... Nice outfit..........like the Platform shoes............

Thanks DT...Platforms and Flares are so "in" this summer! B)

QUOTE (Chinahand @ 10 Aug 2013, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's some very effective weathering Sarah and the outdoor photography shows it off perfectly.

Thanks...it is comments like these that make it all the more worth while...

A few more pics...

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
The few more pics:
QUOTE (sarah @ 10 Aug 2013, 10:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....a few more pics...are really beautiful

and thanks too for your response to my query about the J72.
I used to enjoy riding in Gresley carriages into Wales (while looking at tasteful water colour carriage prints of East Anglian seascapes) from Seacombe over Queensferry bridge to Wrexham Central, but never a serious "spotter", I can only recall ex GCR tanks.
I don't think I learnt until years later of the extraordinary build history of the little Wilson Worsdell NER locos from 1898 right down into the 1950s BR era !

LF&T

·
Dragon Trainer
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
QUOTE (billybidley @ 10 Aug 2013, 13:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice pics Sarah

Regards Joe,

Thanks Joe. Your comments are appreciated.

QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 10 Aug 2013, 23:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The few more pics:
are really beautiful

and thanks too for your response to my query about the J72.
I used to enjoy riding in Gresley carriages into Wales (while looking at tasteful water colour carriage prints of East Anglian seascapes) from Seacombe over Queensferry bridge to Wrexham Central, but never a serious "spotter", I can only recall ex GCR tanks.
I don't think I learnt until years later of the extraordinary build history of the little Wilson Worsdell NER locos from 1898 right down into the 1950s BR era !

LF&T

Hi LF&T.

I Think the G.C.R. Tanks used on the Seacombe Service were 4-4-2s. Was it OO Works that have recently made a model of one? (Too expensive for me though...) (I cannot remember the class, but they look good. (Bad memory for some details, but I do know a nice looking loco!
)

I think that the J72s were mainly used for shunting and goods trains. Apparently a few also had cut down cabs, etc. to work through the low bridge under the North Wales Coast Line (L&NWR/LMS) to the docks at Connah's Quay. They replaced older locos (WM&CQR and GCR Types.)

IT seems that the J72s were pretty unique in being constructed by three companies in succesion. The North Eastern Railway, The L.& N.E.R., and British Railways (1950s).

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Sarah,

The outdoor pics of the excellent weathered Ore Wagons - are just "Stunning"; a real pleasure to view.

Many thanks,

Norm

PS. I would not fancy taking the same pics on a windy day - plank balancing & all that LOL !!!!!

·
Dragon Trainer
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Hi Norm...

In fact it was a bit breezy when I was taking those piccys....If I hadn't had a loco attached, the wagons would have blown off the end of the tracks!

I need to make some brackets to hold the plank shelf more securely. Then I could put it in some different locations on the fence...

I have been working on a few more wagons and vans, including replacing some chassis (Mainline) with better ones with the brakes nearer the wheels (Airfix/ Dapol/ Bachmann) and some transfers, varnish, weathering etc.

The House will also have some more work soon!

·
Dragon Trainer
1,300 Posts

·
Dragon Trainer
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
QUOTE (sarah @ 24 Aug 2013, 18:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now now...I have no idea of what you could mean there!

Actually...I had some N Gauge stock in my hands in a model shop on Thursday....but they weren't for me.

Someone had a project to make a "hat" with a railway around the brim.

Sort of like a Terry Pratchett style hat, with the crown disguised as a mountain, with trees. (Very Discworld in fact...)

I was just helping out!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Really nice work on the wagons and loco's. Love the pictures taken outside they look very real.

Kind regards

Paul

141 - 160 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.