Model Railway Forum banner

Ruffnut's Projects.

118K views 279 replies 44 participants last post by  Ruffnut Thorston 
#1 ·
Hi all, and welcome to my "Projects" place.

Here I will be putting some things for Ffrwd Locks, our "scale" model railway, also some other things that are in progress on the model railway front.

Photos will follow.....

Ffrwd Locks

I am at present re-modelling the main goods siding at Ffrwd.

I had become aware of a serious limitation of having the Cattle Dock at the end of the siding with the Coal Merchant's facilities between the dock and the "main line".

The end of the siding would be out of use if there was a wagon being unloaded at the Coal Merchants.

The original idea of installing a new point on the loop to serve a slewed connection to the Cattle Dock seemed a good idea, and I did cut the siding and loop tracks to install the point.

In the end it became only too clear that this wouldn't work.

I did install a PECO trap point at the Wrexham end of the loop though. The rest of the loop track was re-laid using some left over track and some pre-wired fishplates to provide some extra feeds.

The siding has been re-arranged to have the Coal Merchant at the far end of the siding, and a small Cattle Dock where the Coal Merchant was.

This has involved the demolition of the End Loading and Cattle Dock, and the Coal Merchants coal bins and office.

The siding has been legthened slightly with the removal of the End Loading Ramp, using some more left over track and some pre-wired fishplates to reinstate the feed.

A new Coal Order Office has been made from an old Airfix Coal Office. This has new windows, door, roof, and chimney. Mainly spare parts from the Wills Goods Yard Store Kit, with Wills Slate sheet for the roof. Signs have been made on the computer.

The Coal Bins have been re-built from the original parts. A new "bagging platform" has been constructed from the staging from the Wills Goods Yard Store Kit, with Wills Planking sheet from the Level Crossing kit for the platform, Evergreen Styrene strips for the roof supports and other planking walls, and Wills corrugated sheeting sheet for the roof. Bagged Coal is Merit/ PECO Modelscene Coal Bags. Spilled coal is shot blasting compound. Scales are scatch built, and various figures are in use (Langley and Merit/ PECO Modelscene /Slater's.)

Other Projects..

I have an older Hornby Railways R.410 Turntable. I have managed to source all the missing parts to make it work, and plan to make it a bit more workman like.

I have a Dapol (Ex Airfix) Turntable kit, which I plan to use.

The Dapol Turntable sides are too long as they are, and will need modifying to fit.

I have also got some PECO Plate Girder Bridge Sides, and will look at how these could be used.

All the parts are together, work will commence at some later time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Evening Sarah,
A fair list you have there, nice update on your remodelling, will get back, when you have had any time to put pics up of your progress.

#4 ·
Hi Sarah , that is a bold step you have taken !! I have got a similar situation where an unloading coal wagon will block all movements to the goods shed and cattle dock. Something I should fix but because of the work involved I am reluctant to.
I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your modifications for some inspiration.
Regards

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (10001 @ 27 Oct 2012, 21:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah , that is a bold step you have taken !! I have got a similar situation where an unloading coal wagon will block all movements to the goods shed and cattle dock. Something I should fix but because of the work involved I am reluctant to.
I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your modifications for some inspiration.
Regards

Hi Tony.

I did indeed "boldly go"! It was a big moment when I got the rail cutting shears out and chopped the siding rails!

After that, there was no going back.

I should have planned a bit more before chopping though, as the first cut turned out not to have been neccessary once I had worked out that the extra point would leave two short sidings, with little use. The GWR wouldn't have spent out on the pointwork I believe! (I still have some points, etc. in stock, so I did not have to buy any new bits.)

Putting the trap point in gave some reason to my chopping the loop rails, and the extra feeds should help, once I have wired them up.

I am having to re-do some of the ballast, and paint some of th etrack again, but it does look a bit better now.

The only thing is, where do I put the End Loading Ramp now?

The only possible place is on the PW depts "siding" on the trap spur of the siding where it joins the main line, under the Aqueduct.

Acces for vehicles seems to be problematic, but I think I may find a way!

The Ffrwd Plan before the re-modelling...

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Photos!

The Coal Order Office.

This is a made up second hand old Airfix Coal Order Office kit (The original roof has the "Scroll Logo" mouded into it.).

I have replaced the roof with Wills Slate Sheet, and the windows are from the Wills Goods Yard Store kit. (There are a lot of Spare Parts that seem to belong to the Wills Signal Box Kit!)

Under construction...

The chimney came from the Wills Goods Yard Store kit. (Spare Parts.) (Also visible are the Scales I made from plastic strip and sheet.

Mk 1 Sign. Rub Down Lettering on a Cooper Craft Station Name Board.

The interior is stuck to the baseboard, and the building slots over it. The stove is from th eWills Signal Box interior kit (White Metal). A lot of the fittings, such as the telephone, are bits of scrap plastic, and a Heljan/Knightwing "Loads" Kit.

Mk 2 Sign. Printed on computer, stuck to the Mk1 Sign. It is double sided.

The PO Wagon is out of period. It is a non runner, an old Lima wagon, named after a dog I knew.

#14 ·
Hi again Sarah,

Again a really nice model / addition to your layout there. That area has got a really good atmosphere to it - great stuff well done.

You mentioned that you did the signs (MK 2) for the coal merchants on the computer, what did you use out of interest, they look really good. Bet you wish you went for a shorter name though LOL !

Also I like the effect you have got on the corrugated roof, I have been trying to paint a carriage shed roof (Ratio model not scratch built I am afraid); but cant seem to get an effect anywhere as good as yours - any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Norm

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 30 Oct 2012, 11:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi again Sarah,

Again a really nice model / addition to your layout there. That area has got a really good atmosphere to it - great stuff well done.

You mentioned that you did the signs (MK 2) for the coal merchants on the computer, what did you use out of interest, they look really good. Bet you wish you went for a shorter name though LOL !

Also I like the effect you have got on the corrugated roof, I have been trying to paint a carriage shed roof (Ratio model not scratch built I am afraid); but cant seem to get an effect anywhere as good as yours - any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Norm

Hi Norm.

The Signs.

These are made in "Photoshop", but a similar effect should be possible using "Paint" or any other Image Editing Software. Signs can also be made using "Word" or other word processing Software.

To get the size, I scanned the name board into Photoshop. I then cropped to the edge of the board, and used the "Eraser" tool set to black to make the sign all the same colour.

The lettering was added using various sizes of "Ariel" and the "Text" tool.

The sign was printed on "Photo" paper.

It was cut out and stuck to the board using double sided tape, the edges blacked with a marker pen, and coated with a Matt Varnish.

The Corrugated Roof.

This is made from a second-hand Wills Sheet that was already painted "Rust" colour.
I have roughly painted in layers "Polished Steel" (intact Galvanisation. Any light grey would do.), "Weathered Black" (Dirt and Grime) and "Sleeper Grime" (Old Rust and Grime) "downwards" in line with the corrugations. Sort of almost dry brushing.

I am glad you like the effect.

#16 ·
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the detailed reply / info. on both the signs & the painting of the corrugated roofing. I will have a go at both. I think the signs "look" really smart & assistin adding both great detail & character to the scene. Did you also do the smaller sign on the side of the coal office in the same way ?

I have taken a pic of my roofing painting efforts to date on the carriage shed, & will post it on my loft layout thread, so you can see where I am at present !

Thanks again, Cheers,

Norm

#20 ·
Hi agian Sarah,

Thats a really nice step to give the sign's above, & they are great.

Would you think of sending the image file, in the software you used, as I would like to "tweak" the posted images a bit for a GWR slant. No probs if not. They do look great tho'

Thanks,

Norm

PS. Was the roof that bad LOL ?

#22 ·
Hornby Railways R.410 Turntable with the Motorising Kit.

The turntable as Hornby Intended. When I aquired it it was rusty, and with all the gearing missing.

I managed to obtain all the gearing and a motor from Ebay. They came in three parts.

1. The big "Geneva Gear", a smaller "Penny" Gear, and a pinion on an axle that fitted the "Penny" Gear.

2. The silver "Motor Gear and Pinion". (From the Motorisation Kit.)

3. The X.04 Motor with a special "Turntable" worm. (From the Motorisation Kit.)

I don't have the original pinion gear with the square socket for the Water Crane, but don;t really need that!

Here is an idea for a quick and simple way to make the Turntable look better, well I think better!

PECO Girder Bridge Sides, fitted with a Blue Tack type stuff for demonstration. No other mods.

#23 ·
The Airfix (Now Dapol) Plastic Turntable Kit.

This is a kit to make a very Great Western Railway Style Turntable. These Turntables are th e"Over Girder" Type, and require a much shallower "Well" than the "Under Girder" type, such as the PECO Kit.

First made by Airfix, the tooling is now with Dapol, and the kit is readily available.

This is an old Airfix example, fitted with contempoprary Tri-ang Railways Series 3 Track.

The underside of the base with the Airfix "Scroll" Logo.

The assembly upside down...

Top views..

This example has a corner chopped off the gear platform. The Vacuum Pipe and one winding handle have been broken.

#24 ·
The Airfix Turntable and the Hornby Turntable together...

The Airfix Turntable is longer in the deck than the Hornby Turntable, so the parts cannot be used as supplied...

Airfix deck on top of Hornby Deck...

Airfix base rails on top of Hornby Turntable. This shows that the Rails are not able to fit in the Hornby Well.

#25 ·
Hi Sarah,

You have been busy ! Are you planning to incorporate the final turntable, in what ever configuration that maybe, into your layout ? I have to say I like the over girder / shallow well configuration; but its amazing how much of a difference the addition of plate girders / other elements of different kits, makes to the overall appearance of the original Hornby turntable.

The other issue with the Hornby turntable I have found being its overall size, it needs / takes up a lot of space to fit into a layout.

Good luck with your ponerings / experiments. Also thanks again for the signs info. Cheers,

Norm

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Modifying The Hornby Turntable, Part 1.

The base with the Turntable removed. The copper tracks connect the Table Rails to the Inlet Rails via two wipers under the deck.

I decided to try using the Dapol Kit parts as much as possible.

The wheel girders would fit if I cut sections out of the sides of the "Under Girder" section.

I then decided to remove all of the "Under Girder" section.

One of The Dapol Wheel Girders in place.

The Dapol Side Girders are too long as supplied. The exact length to fit the Hornby Deck would involve cutting one of the panels roughly in half, and this would look wrong.

A compromise is to cut the Side Girders on a Join. This maintains the correct look of the Girders.

One set of Side Girders shewing the cut out parts.

One cut set of Side Girders put together. There is a "ledge" on the outside bottom of the Girders that locates in the Dapol Base. This is filled using Evergreen Styrene Strips.

Both sets of Wheel Girders in place. The underside girders (as moulded into the Dapol Turntable Parts) are represented by more Evergreen Styrene Strips.

A Shortened Side Girder in place.

And the other side...

The deck on the base.

The walkway (As on the Dapol Mouldings) made from Wills Planking Sheet (Ex Level Crossing Kit.). The operating platform has been moved inboard of the wheel girder. A better place! (It would be in the way otherwise.)

More supporting Girders (Evergreen Strips...).

The Handrail, operating gear and Vacuum Pipe trial fitted. The Handrail is a bent to fit Hornby original.

More later..

The Turntable will not be on Ffrwd Locks. It is a stand alone project at the moment. (Possible mini MPD scene?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.