Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished fitting a Hornby Decoder to my DCC ready Hornby Class 5.
[My first time at decoder fitting!]

As ive not yet got my DCC track system fully up and running, I decided to make sure the loco still ran OK using my DC track and controllers.
[I presumed this wouldn't cause a problem, as Hornby advertise their decoders as being able to function with DC...]

However, the Class 5 seemed to run noticeably more roughly and less smoothly on the DC track after the fitting of the decoder.

So my question is; is rougher running 'the norm' when using a chipped loco on DC track?
[Bearing in mind i have NOT yet programmed the Hornby Decoder via my Select controller, perhaps this may be a factor?]

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 17 Dec 2006, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmm...

...are you are using an analogue controller with a back EMF function which sends out a pulse?

Happy modelling
Gary

Sorry im not good with technical jargon- the DC controller in using is a Hornby R965 with a C912 transformer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 17 Dec 2006, 20:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you using the power clip that comes with this controller or the Digital track power clip?

The ordinary power clip has a supressor inside it. The Digital track power clip does not.

No Im using the ordinary power clip complete will supressor inside. [The Class 5 also still has its supressor attached to the motor. I was going to remove this but the installation guide I used said it wouldn't make much difference.]

When I get my DCC controller set up I'm aiming to still use the ordinary DC power clip for the lines, but I'll remove the supressor, as ive heard this can effect the running of DCC.

Could it be the supressors in the loco and power clip, thats causing the irregular running?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 17 Dec 2006, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, this is often normal - suggest you get rid of the suppression cap as well - some decoders are OK with it left in place, others not. In any case it is not required in a DCC controlled loco as the decoder itself has suppression on board..

Ok, thanks for that.

So removing the supressor is just a case of snipping it off where it connects to its wires? No soldering required?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 18 Dec 2006, 09:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be fair Peter the request for information has come from a forum member using a Hornby Select console.

My Bachmann chipped locos run fine with my Hornby digital set up.

Happy modelling
Gary

Yes, with respect, I think Peter's comments were a bit extreme.

I've decided to use Hornby decoders with the Hornby Select console. If Hornby's decoders blew up with their own controllers I think their DCC division would have called a total product recall by now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts