Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to convert some of my new diesel loco's to DCC and have found that it is advised to run them in for an hour, (two hours on a Bachmann) before I chip them. So I was wondering if I could use something like the Hornby rolling road to run them in. Ive looked at the Hornby one and it seems it's set up for mainly steam. Will my diesel work on it mainly Bachmann Hornby Heljan and Vitrains.

After running them in and fitting the decoders they will probably be put away for along time till I build a layout, should I lubricate them first or when I start to run them again?

Regards Baz

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (baz @ 19 Jan 2008, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have started to convert some of my new diesel loco's to DCC and have found that it is advised to run them in for an hour, (two hours on a Bachmann) before I chip them. So I was wondering if I could use something like the Hornby rolling road to run them in. Ive looked at the Hornby one and it seems it's set up for mainly steam. Will my diesel work on it mainly Bachmann Hornby Heljan and Vitrains.

After running them in and fitting the decoders they will probably be put away for along time till I build a layout, should I lubricate them first or when I start to run them again?
Regards Baz

Baz,

Running in locos helps bed the gears for smoother running, i have found most locos come with a small amount of lube already on the gears if you want add a small drop of peco electrolube it wont hurt the loco while running in be sparing though with it as it does spread and you dont want lube sitting on the contacts for any length of time in storage ....
Depending on the track you intend to use make up a small circle of track on a board/ the board you intend for the layout ..... i have used flexitrack and hook up two wires run in the locos, save the cost of a running in device.

I did this with a 37 the gears settled after it screaming round
and now it is fine runs like a dream,
i ran it in for about 3hrs.

Hope this helps.

upnick.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nick

Thanks for the quick response.
Think iv'e got somePeco electrolube somewhere will try that. As for the track iv'e set up a circle of track in my son's bedroom and run some loco's in, but it annoy's him when i'm up there so will have to find an alternative.

Have read your post on Mrc's sound box and have ordered some, hope they are easy to install. H ave read somewhere on this forum about someone else with the same problem as you and I will try to find it again to see what they did.

Cheers Baz

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE So I was wondering if I could use something like the Hornby rolling road to run them in. Ive looked at the Hornby one and it seems it's set up for mainly steam. Will my diesel work on it mainly Bachmann Hornby Heljan and Vitrains.

The only problem you're likely to have with diesels is not enough rollers to support the locomotive adequately. If both bogies are driven, I think a minimum of four rollers would be required. So if you get the Hornby rolling road, order extra sets of rollers to bring the count up to four.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 19 Jan 2008, 23:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try not to use electrolube. Woodlands do a very nice white grease, if you can find it LaBell 106 white gear grease is the best:
labell

To quote from Richard "good advice as always from MMaD" - electrolube was a good product in it's day, but things have moved on in the world (apart from certain areas of Devon).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would have a look at the bachrus rolling road system, DCC Supplies sells them (i'm not conneted to buisness), as this is the system that i use. the rollers sit on any 00 track. The hornby ones have a lot of limitations in my opinion as it was originally produced for the live steam locos.

Admitedly the Bachrus on is double the price for the 6 rollers but you get what you pay for.

Alistair

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Rolling road is no doubt the best way but the circle of track on a board is the other way if no layout available.
I use LGB #51020 Transmission Gear lubricant for axles & gears.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not just for the gears, 'running in' is for the motor as well. If you load the loco too much on it's first run, either by going too fast, or putting stock behind it, you will weaken the motor. I know it takes a lot of patience but the longer you take the better it is, start slowly, and gradually work up, running slowly in each direction for at least 15 minutes, if your controller is graded 0 - 100 in 10's, start at the next grading, if it starts to move at just over 30, set it at 40, then work up at each x10 to 100. Then gradually load it doing the same with one coach then 2. As I said it takes patience , but is well worth it.
A rolling road is only good enough for part of the running in process, but the motor needs to be 'loaded'. Bachmann locos, especially those built from the WD to the A1 are/were susceptible to motor weakening.
Also be very aware of what lubricating oil you use, some make plastic brittle.
Paul M.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hornby did originally make their rolling road for the live steamers (R 8208?) - this had electrically 'dead' rollers (R8209) because the pickup for the live steamers is done on the tender only.

More recently (2006?) they introduced the R8211 with 'live' rollers (R8212) which can be used for any loco, live steam, steam or diesel. The rollers are not interchangeable for obvious reasons. There was also some confusion in both the 2006 and 2007 catalogues in describing the R8011, besides saying "Not illustrated" when it was!

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts