Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all,

I am wondering whether other Forum Members might care to share their opinions of the running qualities of Bachmann vs. Hornby 'OO' locomotives?

I'm probably biased as the result of my own experiences but for the last ten years or more, I have exclusively used Bachmann locos on three very different layouts, in different scales....

First - a USA 'logging' layout in On30 (Bachmann Porters, Shays, Climaxes, Mogul, etc).

Second - again USA based, the 'two-footers' of Maine (Bachmann Forneys, 2-4-0, 2-8-0, again in On30).

Currently - British 'OO' based on Eastern Region practice, for which I currently have a BR 3MT tank, BR 4MT tender loco, older J39 converted to DCC, K3, etc.

I can honestly say that I have never had any problems with any of them (apart from an easily rectified broken universal joint on an On30 Climax) - and all were/are excellent runners.

Conversely, I have recently bought 2 current Hornby locos for the ongoing British 'OO' layout (my first non-Bachmann types for over 10 years) ........and frankly, both run like absolute pigs, particularly the L1, which is for all practical intents and purposes completely unusable (and therefore currently in bits on a shelf).

I now have the forthcoming Hornby 'Sandringham' on order and frankly.....I am not particularly looking forward to it one bit as I fear it could be equally poor. But I need a B17.

Finally, I have recently heard that, sensational as the appearance undoubtedly is, the Hornby B1 doesn't run as well as the slightly less refined recent Bachmann upgrade of the same loco.

I just wondered whether I have just been unlucky with Hornby so far, or whether others can relate to this?

I would be very interested to hears other members views on Bachmann vs. Hornby - just from a running quality point of view (not from an aesthetic angle - where Hornby's latest models are obviously just as good, if not better).

Thanks
Don Mason.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My L1 problem is different.

I bought the 'DCC on-board' version from a (supposedly reputable) supplier on eBay. As delivered (new) it would not run at all with the factory-fitted decoder, just lurched and jerked violently. I removed the Hornby decoder and put it onto DC - perfect.

I then plugged in a 'sound' decoder (from Keytes/Locolines) specifically configured for the L1 and it ran jerkily, OK for a second or two, then a big jerk plus loss of sound, then generally terrible. Tried on DC again - fine.

Then the return crank came loose on one side and nothing I can do seems to fix it (which doesn't help). Thinking it was probably be a decoder problem, it went back to Keytes (twice). They said 'nothing wrong with the decoder, then eventually hard-wired it - no improvement at all. Tweaked all the decoder settings (Loksound V4) but made no difference. Still jerks a couple of seconds into the run then runs very poor/jerky. Tried the original Hornby decoder again (hard wired this time, as Keytes have removed the plug), again, doesn't go at all.

The front and rear truck issues are simple to solve, but there seems little point, given that it will just not run. Which is irritating, as I particularly needed an L1.

- Don

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree - but hindsight is a wonderful thing ...and it's been hacked about so much now, fitting and unfitting decoders (that required mods to the cab), that there's unfortunately no way.
Can't even remember who it was anyway. As I said, retailer on eBay....and it was 9 months ago now.

I'm just reluctant to invest in another given my experiences with this one.

What really hacks me off as well is I'm still convinced the Ketes/Locolines-supplied decoder is faulty, and that cost significantly more than the loco - but there's no way he will accept it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the input.

Funnily enough having said I've never had problems with Bachmann (which is true), this week I had one. I recently bought a (brand new) 'old' J72 (if you get my drift) - the split chassis job, which is notorious for splitting axles and burning out motors.......but I actually rather like split chassis locos - wipey pickups being my pet hate!

Anyway, it ran like a pig in forwards gear but strangely fine in reverse.

Tweaking the rods, etc., didn't help much so I picked up a couple of additional second-hand ones on eBay, reasoning that I could probably make one decent one out of the three ...and have some spare parts to boot.

Well, in the end I made one decent one out of just two and whilst I was at it, I converted the thing to DCC and installed Zimo sound.

If anyone is interested - here's a short video clip on YouTube (usual appalling YouTube loss of quality from the original). I should perhaps apologise for the 'dead' horses and other clutter in evidence - but this is still very much a layout 'in progress.

Split frame Bachmann J72 with DCC & sound

- Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts