Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all out there, hope you can help me with a little problem that I have.

I have a Marklin steel track and where i live it is very humid with salty air, so it rusts when not in use (a couple months of the year and the rest of the time it lays dormant as i don't have enough time to use.)

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to clean it up for longer periods or to get rid of the problem altogether. Replacing track is not a possibilty as the layout is rather large. (30ftx20ft)

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 12 Jul 2007, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheaper and better try automatic gearbox oil -

now...which 'automatic gearbox' oil would that be then?

GM -type oil......or Ford-type oil?

our SAAB 900 auto uses Ford-type in the autobox....but GM - type in the power steering.

there is a distinct difference in the chemical makeup of the two types.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have to use the GM oil as if we use ford it will mean that we will have to FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. thanks for the suggestions. have to give it a go and see what happens.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (DPK @ 15 Jul 2007, 02:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>have to use the GM oil as if we use ford it will mean that we will have to FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. thanks for the suggestions. have to give it a go and see what happens.

But it least it's not a FIX IT AGAIN TOMORROW

or a LOTS OF TROUBLE USUALLY SERIOUS

can't remember the rest of the one for Land Rover - anyone help ?
LOUD AND NOISEY DRAUGHTY RATTLES..............

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
another thread degenerates into a potential automotive nightmare?

[On amother thread, several folk posted they thought BMW's were good!]

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (DPK @ 12 Jul 2007, 12:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all out there, hope you can help me with a little problem that I have.
I have a Marklin steel track and where i live it is very humid with salty air, so it rusts when not in use (a couple months of the year and the rest of the time it lays dormant as i don't have enough time to use.)
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to clean it up for longer periods or to get rid of the problem altogether. Replacing track is not a possibilty as the layout is rather large. (30ftx20ft)
Hello DPK,

Perhaps you could use a portable dehumidifier machine to reduce the humidity and so salt by the layout, but a bit of rust is exactly prototypical...I was delighted to find some on my layout when it was left in the garage for about 2 years - it saved me having to weather all the track! As long as it is only on the side surfaces and the whole rail isn't crumbling then it's probably benign.

You could also spray/paint everthing with cheap matt varnish after all the rust is cleared off (and then rub the varnish off the railtops for first use out of storage) which might insulate the salt in the air from the iron. Also a non-porous sheet e.g. plastic placed over the whole layout/trackwork would restrict air contact with the track and reduce the rate of rust formation.

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 15 Jul 2007, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>BREAK MY WINDOWS - anyone ? (I won't mention the other one - & it's not Brian & Maggies Wheel BRITHO).
What's wrong with mentioning BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE? Just because it's official...!!
I did hear rumours of a third though...

Goedel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Could you not get a cheap loco and modify it to run on its own powersouce (it could pull afew 9v batterys around with it) and get it to drag a track cleaning car. You could let it run for hours, surely that would do the job?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
which brings us nicely back to Gary's suggestion to me about getting a Hornby live steamer?

perhaps a weedkiller train spraying WD40 as the last train of the season?

I would not cover the layout [with plastic sheet]......far better to allow an airflow , even if it is apparently salt-laden?

Is the track the old style metal Marklin stuff?

Like the olf Hornby Dublo 3 rail?

In which case, is the corrosion attacking from underneath?

I would simply spray with a maintenance spray when not using.....first traa to SHOVE a paddy wagon round to wipe the rail surface?

also, perhaps simply running a basic train around more often?.........finding time for yourself?

[marklin being stud contact(?), the scraping action of the pickup shoes is beneficial to cleaning.]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts