Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had been meaning to go down to the Pen Mill GWR station and take some photos for some time and this morning I did , only to find the signals being removed. A sad day indeed.

The small signal is going to the local Yeovil Juction Steam preservation Trust, but the big one not known what is happening to it.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The single arm home signal is a gem, it has a wooden post! How many wooden posts can still be found on Network Rail?

·
Registered
312 Posts
They are being replaced with upper quadrant arms as this is now the group standard for new mechanical signals on Network Rail when they need replacing. All the arms are going to steam railways. Yeovil is part of the Southern region now so it's sort of justice for the Western region lifting all our double track on the West of England!

Southern Signalman!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 3 Mar 2008, 16:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeovil is part of the Southern region now so it's sort of justice for the Western region lifting all our double track on the West of England!

Southern Signalman!

To misuse a quote from I know not where - The South will rise again!

Mind you some of the Ramsgate - Charing Cross line via Ashford is still semaphores. Javelin by Semaphore anyone?

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 Mar 2008, 17:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To misuse a quote from I know not where - The South will rise again!

Mind you some of the Ramsgate - Charing Cross line via Ashford is still semaphores. Javelin by Semaphore anyone?

Regards

Whereabouts is it still semaphore on the ramsgate to charing cross line ???

Signal Trainer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the lovely station building is all boarded up, so what's another bit of heritage lost. Least I got the photos in sunny weather.

Any railway worth its salt would run a suttle between Pen Mill and Yeovil. Mind you it would cost a lot for a ticket if they did.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 Mar 2008, 18:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To misuse a quote from I know not where - The South will rise again!

Regards

That would be me...

I believe that there's still some semaphores around Deal but if you're thinking of Ramsgate-Canterbury West-Ashford, the last semaphore signals there went in 2004 (sadly). Canterbury East still has a fine SE&CR signalbox and semaphores, though!

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Swingcats @ 3 Mar 2008, 19:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, the lovely station building is all boarded up, so what's another bit of heritage lost. Least I got the photos in sunny weather.

Any railway worth its salt would run a suttle between Pen Mill and Yeovil. Mind you it would cost a lot for a ticket if they did.
Unfortunately it's only diversions that use the connection and the empty stock route learners. The SWT bubblecar is out and about this week so might pop up at both Junction and Pen Mill. Off Salisbury around 8.30 and 12.44 (subject to crew) heading To Yeovil Junction via Westbury and Pen Mill.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (cig1705 @ 3 Mar 2008, 19:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe that there's still some semaphores around Deal but if you're thinking of Ramsgate-Canterbury West-Ashford, the last semaphore signals there went in 2004 (sadly). Canterbury East still has a fine SE&CR signalbox and semaphores, though!

Just goes to show how observant I'm not - I didn't notice the change. mind you Sturry still has a rather pretty crossing box. (which if you create a mirror image looks remarkably like one of the Skaledale ones)

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
One of the joys of a journey I undertook in the mid 80's was Bristol to Salisbury and it was great to see semaphore signals as all I saw around Bristol was coloured lights.
Shaun

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 4 Mar 2008, 14:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just goes to show how observant I'm not - I didn't notice the change. mind you Sturry still has a rather pretty crossing box. (which if you create a mirror image looks remarkably like one of the Skaledale ones)

Regards

Tenterden on the KE&SR has a similar (same design) Saxby and Farmer box, formerly of Chilham, as does Wye, whilst Rye and Wateringbury have similar but slightly larger (4 panes instead of 3) 'boxes.

Apparently, the re-signalling saw Sturry become a block post again, something that it hadn't been since the 1970s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts