Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 22 Feb 2008, 01:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks like hornby are trying to save a bit of money by not using the best chinese manufacturers. How popular are model railways in china, do the workers know what they are making, or do they think they are just childrens toys?

Hornby use the Sanda Kan factory. they share the factory time with many different manufacturers. among them i believe are (or at least were!) Atlas and Life-like. In the wilderness years when i was doing american modelling because the UK stuff was just complete guff i never got a duff Atlas loco and the life like loco's were a little crude but they always ran like a dream.

Railway modelling in china is in its infancy because they have only recently had the money to spend on the hobby. the number of model shops has gone from about 3 to about 20 in 3 years.

I suppose what i am trying to say is dont blame the little chinese woman sitting at the production line. she is only doing her job. if hornby have used a crap motor in this loco, its not her fault or anyone at the factory's fault.

Peter

P.S. i know this will be a contravertial view in light of this thread but although i have great sympathies for people who have bought a pup. i am not inclined to believe all i read on the german forums. i think many of them see hornby as a toy manufacturer and dont particularly like or even want them to venture into the german market. i strongly suspect that at least some of what is written on those forums is a bit of light hearted UK bashing.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 22 Feb 2008, 07:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You certainly cannot knock china Mfg when its at its best - I just added DCC to a new Tenshodo bullet train.... a totally superb model of the current Japanese prototype engineered perfectly. Surprise Surprise... Look closely and you'll find "made in China for Tenshodo by Bachmann" on the box.
Richard

I think they do all the plastic models from tenshodo. They do the manchurian railway loco for them and i believe Kader make the spud motor bogies for them too.

Bachmann have recently announced that they will make the chinese bullet train CRH2. this is actually a japanese design and with only minor alterations could produce the japanese E8 shinkansen. i have been wondering if it will be marketed in japan under the tenshodo brand?

I really would like a good list of what we this is made at which factory. perhaps we should start a thread on that very subject. infact i think i am going to do that now.

Peter

P.S. i look forward to some pictures of that JR500!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts