Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another project which I failed to show on here when completed. Princess Anne with my original Turbomotive. I certainly won't be buying the Hornby one as my Turbomotive has been a faithful runner for nearly half a century - originally with tender drive but rechassied more recently.
Train Wheel Land vehicle Rolling stock Vehicle

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice jobs I rebuilt a Bachmann 9F into a Riddles 2-8-2 which is not good enough but needs more work but a few neverwassers is always a great idea, I wanted to make a GCR 2-6-2 but it comes out too long.

Anyway my favourite here is the 2-10-0 which is available model for one of the newer manufacturers and the K class tanks looks very effective.

So nice work, please keep it up
You really need a Britannia body for the 2-8-2.
Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Drawing

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might think BR would have kept them in service on SR, given the commonalities with the N class, which should have ensured their maintainability; and the shortage of larger tank engines of this power class which saw first LMS design 2-6-4T allocated, and then replacement BR std4 2-6-4T constructed.

Don't ever recall seeing a model of this. So interesting to look at. It's a Princess, it's a Duchess, it's a Punchess...
3 L2s had gone by 1945 and the others by 1948. The Southern was still a bit cagey about passenger tanks after the River affair.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
An attempt to improve a Hornby Compound. The tender supplied was replaced by one designed for the 2P/4F suitably wired in to make use of the tender pickups. I also replaced the safety valve with Ross Pops. Perhaps a suitable replacement chimney (Stanier) and dome would improve further?
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

Attachments

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh yes, that's something unique for your layout. Were any changes made to the 2-10-0s as a result of the testing, or was the testing research for the Riddles 9F?

Are the coupled wheels all flanged, and if so, does that require a larger radius than the R2 the 2-8-0 will negotiate?
I need to check my sources regarding the tests but will comment later.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I need to check my sources regarding the tests but will comment later.
The tests took place with 90464 (2-8-0) and 90772 (2-10-0) between Carlisle and Hurlford on the old GSWR line in 1952. The primary purpose was to test the live steam injectors. Two grades of coal were used hence the use of the corridor tender which had capacity for bagged coal.
Train Wheel Vehicle Automotive design Rolling stock

Train Rolling stock Track Locomotive Railway

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The tests took place with 90464 (2-8-0) and 90772 (2-10-0) between Carlisle and Hurlford on the old GSWR line in 1952. The primary purpose was to test the live steam injectors. Two grades of coal were used hence the use of the corridor tender which had capacity for bagged coal. View attachment 20689
View attachment 20690
The tender was scratch built on a Hornby chassis so can be attached to any Hornby engine with tender pickup requirements that has the pin type connection - a suitable adaptor drawbar means it can be used with Bachmann locos.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts