Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Nice jobs I rebuilt a Bachmann 9F into a Riddles 2-8-2 which is not good enough but needs more work but a few neverwassers is always a great idea, I wanted to make a GCR 2-6-2 but it comes out too long.

Anyway my favourite here is the 2-10-0 which is available model for one of the newer manufacturers and the K class tanks looks very effective.

So nice work, please keep it up

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Going back to 13 and 14 above I did make an 8MT but the 9F has smaller wheels and is very much shorter, as above I used an old Brittania style body and this picture shows the part built result, the 9F chassis into an 8 coupled loco was easy but the problem is the firebox on the 9F is wide and sticks beyond the firebox of the Brit body, anyway I sort of nearly finished it and had it running, I'll find another photo of it and post once the OO9 is finished I will likely get back to this project

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Always impressed by your cut and shut efforts, my BR class 8MT was never great nor ever finished, maybe one day I'll have another go as I fancy a GCR 8N or LNER B6 which was a large boiler 2-8-0 on a 4-6-0 chassis, only 3 built but they were said to be rather good, anyway thanks for the update.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Well I can answer that 34c it was about power, they built the B6 as a loco to operate through services on the Woodford-Banbury link and it was an easy quick fix to make them as the O4/5's were being turned out in big numbers, however the main effort on the railway was getting over Woodhead with heavy loads so the 4 cylinder machines were preferred and they built 38 B7's as Gresley said they used more coal going down hill than climbing, father worked them and they were nicknamed Black Pigs as long as you threw on the coal they would work well, never slipped and would pull from the stop on a steep gradient such as at Penistone whilst a V2 would hardly get going.

The big problem in my view was sticking to a boiler pressure of 180 lbs and a grate area of only 26 sq feet, one of the worst ratios in excess of 100:1 grate to heating surface, cutting this to say 1700 and increasing the gate to about 35 sq feet would have made them good runners esp with a boiler pressure of say 220 lbs, so even the fancy modern valve gear on the big wheeled B3 version did good work on Leeds expressed but did not match the best.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Disagree above regarding Thompson, the impoverished LNER burnt itself out keeping the war effort going and the last thing it needed were lots of 3 cyl conjugated gear locos (that paid a good royalty to Sir Nigel do not forget) and just read the work done by S O Ell at Swindon plant on the V2's shows how hopeless this novelty really was, the Thompson locos pacifics were hung up with equal length rods giving a long overhang but my father worked on locos in the 1940's and 50's as a premium apprentice and no locos were said to be freer steamers than the A2/1 (the last 4 V2's converted to Pacifics)
As to the L1 model all good, except the wretched front bogie mechanism that adorned a few Hornby locos back in the 2000's and the L1 with the pony truck close to the front driver is a problem with tight radius curves where the truck over turns on the radius that is to say if 20 degrees is needed it goes about 25.
Father thought that the L1 had too small a set of wheels and that a modern A5 as a 2-6-4 tank would have been better as these both accelerated well and pulled well and were quite fast to boot.
Come on Sonic I have paid the deposit for a GCR livery A5 but the L1 is a useful loco to have around.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Yes SJ he was a bit abrupt but father met him as a lad and said he was very nice to talk to and he was always doing his best to bring on young 'uns, sure the Thompson locos leaned on what they had because there simply was not the resources to do as much as he wanted, the 100A boiler got many outings for instance, he used Gresley parts where they worked on the other hand he was less impressed where they were weak or expensive illustrated by V4 versus B1, the B1, K4 vs K1 and the falling apart B17 (they had to be withdrawn from the Manchester area as being needing too frequent rebuilds, so Thompson was practical and gave the LNER what it needed after Gresley's death so hard working, effective locos, in my view however it was a shame he did not put the P2's onto the GC where the massive wartime loads could be handled as the main line to London was built to really strong standards, same with W1 and the top link was 6 locos, the P1's could have gone to Annesley to run 'windcutters' where the speed and load pulling power could have been properly used, this would have kept the hierarchy of the enthusiast happy I expect.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Father had some N1 bodies of white metal he fitted to N2 chassis as the N1 was typically working local Halifax - Bradford operations, certainly the heavy body aided traction so I have 3 somewhere in a plastic box but getting them working means fitting dcc chips and hard wiring them and simply put I cannot be bothered just now and basically have not enough space on the layout for more locos so I have too many really nice locos doing nothing.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
I have a desire to build a B3/3 sometime, as 6166 it became 1497 later 61497 I think and when sizing up it looks very much as if a B17 chassis would be a close fit with a modified B1 body to suit the higher running plate, it would need bigger cylinders than the B17 but anyway father liked this loco a lot sadly it did not have a long life as rebuilt due to frame failure, still it would be an interesting effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts