Model Railway Forum banner
101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Preliminary work to create a WT class Mogul. Bunker and cabside cut away and a Princess Coronation cabside inserted to provide a side window cab. The cab was spare after I amalgamated Coronation and Princess Royal bodies to create 46202 Princess Anne.
Interesting. I have always had this thought at the back of my mind of producing a model of Manorbier Castle, even though I'm not really a GWR person.....

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Was it a conversion kit or home made?
I used an AIrfix Castle as the basis and the rest was done at home. The bullet for the front came from a sphere that contained a sweet in a slot machine that was outside a shop in Perth, the rest was done with body filler, a spare cab provided the roof over the vee front and Ralph Jackson supplied the nameplates. I did the model as it was running after some of the fairings had been removed.
Train Wheel Nature Rolling stock Vehicle

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used an AIrfix Castle as the basis and the rest was done at home. The bullet for the front came from a sphere that contained a sweet in a slot machine that was outside a shop in Perth, the rest was done with body filler, a spare cab provided the roof over the vee front and Ralph Jackson supplied the nameplates.
Thanks for that. I don't think I'll be doing this for a while (for one thing, I don't have a spare Castle handy) mainly because of all the other projects I have on hand at the moment, but I'm pretty much decided on doing it. Right now though, I have a small fleet of streamlined LMS Coronations I have to attend to, but that's another story.

I did the model as it was running after some of the fairings had been removed
Now that I think of it, I have seen a photo of the "fully" streamlined Manorbier Castle. I can't remember exactly what the differences were, but I'm pretty sure there was a strange bulbous (and probably near to impossible to model) shape on the front of the cylinders.

As an aside, there were, as one would expect, a number of shots of main line trains at speed in the early stages of Gainsborough's 1941 version of The Ghost Train, starring Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch. There are two or three shots of Castles of the normal variety but, in a display of lack of continuity and bad editing, the train that comes to a halt when Arthur Askey pulls the communication cord is hauled by the "streamlined" Manorbier Castle. Totally irrelevant to modelling but (at least I find it) interesting nevertheless.

Vehicle Sky Automotive tire Aircraft Rolling

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice. My black one will be King George VI, which seems to me to be an appropriate choice for wartime livery.

City of St Andrews? Is the LMS taking over former NBR territory? It looks quite impressive, although it might be a bit difficult to fit it on a turntable.......

More seriously, how did you do the nameplate? I have always meant to have one called City of Brechin but, strange to say, no-one stocks those nameplates.

·
In depth idiot
8,278 Posts
...Now that I think of it, I have seen a photo of the "fully" streamlined Manorbier Castle. I can't remember exactly what the differences were, but I'm pretty sure there was a strange bulbous (and probably near to impossible to model) shape on the front of the cylinders...
A novel approach to modelling this: Collett reputedly applied his 'streamlining concept' to a model Castle using Plasticine: so there's the unusual option of modelling the model using the authentic material...

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Nice. My black one will be King George VI, which seems to me to be an appropriate choice for wartime livery.

City of St Andrews? Is the LMS taking over former NBR territory? It looks quite impressive, although it might be a bit difficult to fit it on a turntable.......

More seriously, how did you do the nameplate? I have always meant to have one called City of Brechin but, strange to say, no-one stocks those nameplates.
They were printed on my laser colour printer. I also have City of Perth. This is ancient but the model was upgraded with a loco drive chassis some years ago.
Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

·
Registered
75 Posts
They were printed on my laser colour printer. I also have City of Perth. This is ancient but the model was upgraded with a loco drive chassis some years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I used the same method for some pre-grouping numberplates, but they didn't look quite as convincing. Maybe I should give it another try......

Perth and Aberdeen were a couple of others I had in mind but, if I do one, it will be the City of Brechin.

And your model may be "ancient", but I think mine would be a bit more so, as they are all either Hornby Dublo or Wrenn examples.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
The City of Perth Name and number plates were done for me by Ralph Jackson in the days when he owned Jackson Evans - sadly today's user of that name is not known for his prompt service. I have been waiting since a year past October for North British nameplates for my WD 2-10-0.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
More progress today and I have 'borrowed' a chassis from one of my Fowler 2-6-4 tanks. I need to source a chassis for the Jeep. UTA transfers arrived this morning but I await a further supply of top feeds to complete things.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
In depth idiot
8,278 Posts
View attachment 20916
Created by combining parts from two 2-8-0s.
Very neat. Do tell more!
How was the ten coupled chassis created?
Did you consider turning the flanges off the centre coupled wheelset?
What does it need as minimum radius?

The Bachmann WD remains a favourite on my layout, (it was this product together with correctly scaled BR 16T minerals that persuaded me to go with RTR OO, rather than North American HO).

101 - 120 of 168 Posts