Model Railway Forum banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,279 Posts
Thanks for the essay on the 2-10-0.

The rear coupled wheels will be picking up even without wipers, as the wheel castings are only insulated at the axle. The coupling rods are thus live to rail and conduct. I first realised this when one of my Bachmann 9F models showed arcing on the centre wheelset, while derailing over some old plastic crossing trackwork on a friends layout. Off the rails the mechanism ran perfectly on flying leads supplying the centre unflanged wheelsets only, which have no pick up wipers!

I think this may be part of the reason Bachmann have generally not bothered with tender pick up; any wiper is effectively capable of picking up current from all coupled wheels that side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was lucky to pick up a duff WD 2-8-0 for spares - the tender came in useful to go behind City of Bradford as running in the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges.
Nice. I have been doing the same thing, but it's not finished (well, the locomotive is, I just haven't got around to doing the tender yet). In my case I'm using a Hornby Dublo City of London with a Dublo A4 tender chassis and Bachmann tender body.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Another project moving towards completion. A collection of old Lima GWR railcar bodies were used to create a twin car set. In process the power unit was upgraded to a Hornby one. I've taken the easy route by modelling 33/38 which incorporated 33 converted from a double ended car after 37 was destroyed by fire. I have enough parts to build either 35 or 37 in due course.
Composite material Gas Rectangle Font Circuit component

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Always impressed by your cut and shut efforts, my BR class 8MT was never great nor ever finished, maybe one day I'll have another go as I fancy a GCR 8N or LNER B6 which was a large boiler 2-8-0 on a 4-6-0 chassis, only 3 built but they were said to be rather good, anyway thanks for the update.

Chris

·
In depth idiot
8,279 Posts
... I fancy a GCR 8N or LNER B6 which was a large boiler 2-8-0 on a 4-6-0 chassis, only 3 built but they were said to be rather good, anyway thanks for the update...
Something of a mystery, those. Everything about this design indicates likely to perform as well as the Robinson 2-8-0 whether O4 or O5, so why was it abandoned with only three constructed, and the inferior B7 produced instead?

The problem with the B7 (and the other 4 cylinder designs) was that Gorton was not much cop at multicylinder, as the valve gear design had poor events at the shorter cut offs required for efficient faster running. But the 2 cylinder machines were better, and specific to the case of the B6, the closely related O4 and O5 could make useful speed for 4'8" wheel eight coupled goods (and on an express wheel diameter the D11 was also satisfactory); and as a result these classes endured in service up to the general withdrawal of steam. Every reason to think that had the B6 been constructed in quantity, it would have lasted equally well, quite possibly getting the 100A boiler and B1 cylinders and gear under Thompson as component renewals were required, akin to his work on the O4s.

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Well I can answer that 34c it was about power, they built the B6 as a loco to operate through services on the Woodford-Banbury link and it was an easy quick fix to make them as the O4/5's were being turned out in big numbers, however the main effort on the railway was getting over Woodhead with heavy loads so the 4 cylinder machines were preferred and they built 38 B7's as Gresley said they used more coal going down hill than climbing, father worked them and they were nicknamed Black Pigs as long as you threw on the coal they would work well, never slipped and would pull from the stop on a steep gradient such as at Penistone whilst a V2 would hardly get going.

The big problem in my view was sticking to a boiler pressure of 180 lbs and a grate area of only 26 sq feet, one of the worst ratios in excess of 100:1 grate to heating surface, cutting this to say 1700 and increasing the gate to about 35 sq feet would have made them good runners esp with a boiler pressure of say 220 lbs, so even the fancy modern valve gear on the big wheeled B3 version did good work on Leeds expressed but did not match the best.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts