Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 180 of 222 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,453 Posts
Looks like the forward boiler joint may be slightly 'popped' on Cuttle? Hornby don't cement this joint on any example I have seen. Mine have all had a dab of butanone or similar to keep them tight.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Looks like the forward boiler joint may be slightly 'popped' on Cuttle? Hornby don't cement this joint on any example I have seen. Mine have all had a dab of butanone or similar to keep them tight.
It was a spare body I picked up cheap and fitted it to a spare chassis and tender I had. Will need to whip the body off and attend to same - from the inside I think.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Hornby obviously mix n match with the A1s and A3s to save tooling costs. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I've mix and matched components from locos to get variations which are not available RTR. I was limited with which loco I could create with the 94HP boiler so trawling the books it had to be 60091. If you want an A3 with a streamlined non corridor tender you may have to mix n' match with A4s.

·
In depth idiot
8,453 Posts
Yes, at least we have the options to go the DIY route and 'make the variant appearance we want' from the pieces Hornby tooled. The very pleasing aspect when Hornby released this model (and slightly earlier the A4) in its current from circa 2004/2005 was the extra attention given to the tenders, significantly better than anything previous for Doncaster's pacifics.

Did a quick search and found the original A3 review, the liability of the boiler seam to open was detected. I checked the several I had at the time,and was doctoring for myself and friends (fit decoder, add weight, block forward air gap in frames, space tender at scale distance with new loco to tender drawbar, remove superfluous tender pick ups = brakes, etc.) and none of them showed evidence of cement in this joint.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Yes, at least we have the options to go the DIY route and 'make the variant appearance we want' from the pieces Hornby tooled. The very pleasing aspect when Hornby released this model (and slightly earlier the A4) in its current from circa 2004/2005 was the extra attention given to the tenders, significantly better than anything previous for Doncaster's pacifics.

Did a quick search and found the original A3 review, the liability of the boiler seam to open was detected. I checked the several I had at the time,and was doctoring for myself and friends (fit decoder, add weight, block forward air gap in frames, space tender at scale distance with new loco to tender drawbar, remove superfluous tender pick ups = brakes, etc.) and none of them showed evidence of cement in this joint.

I think I have now covered most variants from GNR liveried 1471 up to the German Deflector fitted ones.

·
In depth idiot
8,453 Posts
Inevitably I have both of these too, representing Hatfield's allocation. The newly tooled N7 does show up the 40+ Y.O. N2 tooling somewhat. (Happily the old Airfix GMR origin model does have the basics right, and is a good starting point for a detailing project. How it needs crew in the cab though to distract from that very visible motor...)
... N7. Seems to run fine despite comments on the model elsewhere and handles 8 coaches no bother...
Pretty much everything to like on mine, they have all had a good work out with not a hint of trouble, and I intend to buy a fourth when a cheap deal comes along. The ill-positioned coupler mountings the greatest blot, but that's easily corrected.

A very good body construction feature is the one piece plastic boiler and cab assembly, which is quickly released from the cast footplate, tanks and bunker piece. Access is thus obtained to the cab interior to much tone down the cream paint, and various detail parts.only appropriate to Stratford's allocation are easily removed and resulting holes filled.

(Same general approbation for OR's J27. Not appropriate to my modelling but I like pre-group 0-6-0s, and this is the first small wheeled mineral type to appear in RTR OO. Can we hope for more from OR after the J26, now it is wholly in Hornby's ownership? )

Different brand, but I hope the GC A5 is equally good. Three LNER Southern Area constituent designs of suburban service locos, in addition to the V1/V3 and L1, riches beyond all expectation

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I also treated myself to a J27 as I like NER Raven locos. I too am looking forward to the A5, we now need an A8! I did some work on the N2s, removed condensing gear from two, fitted a tall chimney to one, and GER style condensing gear to another.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I act as consultant to Oxford Diecast on the bus front but my contact who deals with that side of things doesn't have anything to do with the Rail side. They are wholly owned now but so far operating independently.

·
In depth idiot
8,453 Posts
I should really modify one of mine to non-condensing tall chimney like your 69553 as there were a few allocated to Hornsey for freight turns. But they were relative rarities compared to the non-stop presence of the condensing locos which were the standard form required for running the KX area inner-sub turns. (Not least of the attractions of 'The Ladykillers' is that you can hear one barking away unseen: probably on a suburban service...)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
These were done a long time ago and 69553 was originally an Airfix chassis. I studied Yeadon and the RCTS history to ensure I picked the right locos. The two non condensing ones are really appropriate for my layout, the others were done out of interest. I have an LNER black one with modified condensing gear but it still has the original chassis.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I lived in Leicestershire from 1985-2004 and was fortunate to visit the Great Central when the N2 was there but whoever was driving it on that occasion was not versed in giving it some welly on takeoff as was usual on leaving Kings X!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
There is an excellent account of the Suburban services in Peter Townend's book Top Shed and two good articles in "Gresley Anthology"! Allan Baker tells me it was his wife Angie who typed up the manuscripts for Peter's books.

161 - 180 of 222 Posts