Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where:
Sandgate Police Citizens Youth Club
106 Kempster Street
Sandgate Queensland Australia
(about 20 min North of Brisbane)

Come and experience the makings of the model rail road. Exhibitors show off their creations and talent.

You will find free model workshops, train displays, kids train rides, secondhand stalls and other hobby displays. Definately a weekend not to be missed!

Dates: Sat 3rd & Sun 4th March 2007
Times:
Sat 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sun 9:00am - 4:00pm

Costs:
Adults $5.00
Concession $3.00
Child $2.00
Family $13.00 (2 Adults & 2 Child)

·
Registered
162 Posts
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 27 Feb 2007, 08:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to get there - it's probably less than 20 minutes away - but it looks like my weekend is booked. If I do go I'll take the camera.
Well I DID get there, but the camera batteries didn't, so we had to use my wife's mobile phone and the pics weren't great and mostly not worth posting - that's because of the camera, not the displays, I hasten to add.
But I can report there were about twenty layouts on show and some good ones among them. A good mix of UK, USA diesel and steam, even a large, old 3 rail Hornby Dublo layout. Plenty of other stuff such as videos and books, wargamer dioramas, radios, boats and planes. One and a half large halls in area.
First pic is of an HO layout - Beauaraba Siding - set in sunny Queensland, but VERY freelanced . All structures were scratchbuilt.

2nd pic is of a layout aimed at the younger brigade, but showing good use of proprietary card kits.

Best layouts there - in my opinion - were N scale. No pics, sorry.

One US layout made use of one of those micro video cameras placed inside the cab of a diesel. The picture quality was quite satisfactory, and the view was wider than I had expected. I think it'd be a lot of fun - and ultimately a hard taskmaster - on a more scenic layout. Like a fool I didn't think to ask which brand it was. First time I'd seen one in use other than online.

Also saw a flyer for the Brisbane train show starting May5. Admission will be $10 a head - $30 for my wife, my daughter and I to walk through the door.

Mike

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for the pics Mike - looks like a couple of items from Faller (part built houses) & Kibri (JCB) on the lower layout.

It's amazing how popular the "Thomas" layouts are at shows - who say's the youngsters don't recodnise a steam loco ?

Sadly, I often hear some of the real "rivet counting anoraks" deriding "Thomas", but IMHO, anything that encourages youngster to the hobby is a good thing - otherwise there's a real danger of the hobby dying out with the "old farts".

·
Registered
162 Posts
"....anything that encourages youngster to the hobby is a good thing...." -I couldn't agree more, Brian. The kids were having a great time on that layout. It was good to see. Overscale vehicles and common kits didn't worry them

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
Thanks for posting the pix Mike. They are interesting.

David

·
Registered
162 Posts
Neil - yes there were quite a few Metcalfe kits in evidence. Probably it indicates the quality of the product, I guess.
Any chance that you'll be at the Brisbane show in May?
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 6 Mar 2007, 09:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil - yes there were quite a few Metcalfe kits in evidence. Probably it indicates the quality of the product, I guess.
Any chance that you'll be at the Brisbane show in May?
Mike
Much as I'd love to I don't think it's likely. I may try and talk the wife into a weekend break and see how it goes.

Whats the date as I have a couple of things on then?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would normally have gone but a group of us did a shopping trip to Sydney at the weekend and took in the Forestville show. No camera however.
Boy, if there's a better hobby shop than Tom's I'd like to hear it. What I like is they'll deal if you buy a bit, so as a consequence they'll get my business!

My club (GCMRW) will have a stand at the Brisbane show.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It's always nice to see layouts from foreign climes, and these were certainly a good taster of what goes on "down under".

It's also nice to see that the modellers stomach is also rife in Oz, (I'm no angel in this respect)

Note for dbc50 - I don't think that's a Kibri JCB in the Thomas shot it looks like a Bob the Builder toy to me.

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Mar 2007, 16:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Note for dbc50 - I don't think that's a Kibri JCB in the Thomas shot it looks like a Bob the Builder toy to me.

Regards

John

Ah - so you are awake sometimes ! - just testing.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 6 Mar 2007, 17:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah - so you are awake sometimes ! - just testing.

Zzzzzzz

Regards

John

·
Registered
436 Posts
Toms Hobbies are:
1001 Victoria Rd
West Ryde
Easily accessable from the north line suburban train route.
Ph 02-98090530
Web http://www.tomshobbies.com.au/
The site concentrates on their Trainorama line but they are expanding it to cater for their other stock.
A chappie called Bob is the mist helpful. The boss comes accross gruff but is ok.
It eases my conscience to support a "local" business sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts