Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Devon based, into hills and sea, full time worker for the NHS, family guy, student plumber
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, been a long time since I was on the forum so I hope you have all been keeping well in these times of late. I started a project in 2014 and put a few posts and updates on here (seem to have vanished now) but unfortunately it dead ended .... life eh!! Recently I've started a new project called Sandy Lane.

It's a semi-fictitious small end to end layout in OO scale, DCC controlled, based somewhere around the turn of the century (millennium bug - eek) on a coastal town in the South West that had its lines ripped out in the early 80's. I've imagined what it would be like had the railways remained in place and continued to service the area.

Progress so far ... baseboards constructed, some track laid and fixed some awaiting fixing (I ran out of track yesterday), bus wires installed and control panel started, upper level working, some scenic items acquired or built, most scenic items in production lol and I've had a small attempt at scenery, a lot of reading of books/magazines/online to help.

Over the last few years I've tried to acquire locos and rolling stock that would have been around this area from the early/mid-nineties onwards. Surprisingly out of the box production locos are not too forthcoming but I have done my best to research and I've managed to get hold of some nice items. Loadhaul, Transrail and Mainline a plenty :)

Oh and lastly, my previous layout was in the basement which turned out to be dirty, damp and cold so I built this one in my nice, cosy, warm dining room. An unusual location? Possibly? It was possible.

Here's a few pics of some of my progress so far.

The start...
Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Gas

A while later ...
Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Gas

A longer while later ...

Vehicle Urban design Wood Building Railway

Thanks for reading :)
Peace and love
Ivi

·
In depth idiot
7,736 Posts
Coming on nicely. The 'old' passenger station overlooking the lower level 'Radiator Yard (Sandy Lane)' will add a lot of visual interest, and integrates well with the distant view of the backscene. What sort of freight movements will the yard traffic be based on? I'd suggest that this yard might be servicing a new Tungsten mine, or some equally exotic mineral extraction and processing.

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
I like the backdrop of Ross on Wye although I actually think it is Breedon on Avon just by the M50 junction off the M5, anyway starting to look interesting, perhaps a Lithium mine as we have left Afghanistan the best source of Lithium on the planet just when we need it for electric car batteries!

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
Most interesting is Hartland Quay, this got washed away about 1890 but there was a small harbour and the rock formations run at 45 degrees then have a 90 degree bend in them, could be allsorts round there, close by are the radomes of the GCHQ which work for the Americans known as a signals station I think called Morwenstowe in which village there is a lovely pub called the Bush inn, (I used to go there a lot when my sister lived nearby) - ominously no windows face the Atlantic - cos it has been known to blow a bit, with a bit of ingenuity you might have a spot where GWR meets SR and like Lydford could have parallel railway stations.

Oddly the radomes are lit up but the only photos that never came out of mine in the days of film were those I took of these radomes at night and funny this the negatives were no good at all?

·
Registered
Devon based, into hills and sea, full time worker for the NHS, family guy, student plumber
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha ha thanks for the comments :) Not sure what will go in the yard yet but I like your suggestions so far - unique. I guess it's kind of an organic growth for this project, I've changed my mind on things a lot so far.

Interesting - I'm just down the road from Hartland!

·
In depth idiot
7,736 Posts
... I guess it's kind of an organic growth for this project, I've changed my mind on things a lot so far...
That's how the real railways in the UK started, just 'followed the money' by building lines between sources of goods and customers. And then a lot of 'change of mind' as technique, understanding and traffic flows altered over time...

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
Well the GWR and LSWR had some competition going back along and that would add interest, not much left of the 'withered arm' as the LSWR lines were nicknamed gives a wider stock and choice of locos and of course the nearby metropolis of Bude - there are lovely walks along the canal and er...................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the GWR and LSWR had some competition going back along and that would add interest, not much left of the 'withered arm' as the LSWR lines were nicknamed gives a wider stock and choice of locos and of course the nearby metropolis of Bude - there are lovely walks along the canal and er...................
LMAO metropolis of Bude 🤣🤣

from my book about freight in Devon and Cornwall there is indeed a wide selection of stock and locos, makes you wonder what if the arm hadn't withered!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts