Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just to say "hello".
I am a retiree and new to model railways. Like most people I did have a trainset (Triang!) as a youngster but since then zero time, money and space. I have spent months researching MR websites for info and ideas as I know little or nothing about the prototypes or track turnouts, etc. I intend to build a fictitional modern era 24' x 8' 3-level 00 layout using peco streamline track. This will be in my attic which is insulated and heated. I am looking forward to developing this interest and am sure I will be occupied by it for years to come.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi stationmaster and welcome to MRF.

Enjoy your retirement, the hobby and the forum.

Regards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi and welcome to the hobby , might I just suggest that you might find 24` x 8` a bit much to deal with for a first layout - suggest a smaller one would be less of a huge learning curve and you`d be up and running years quicker. enjoy whatever you choose

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi and welcome to the MRF.

That's certainly an ambitious project you are going for. The real danger in large layouts is that its takes so long to get the first train running you lose inteest in the whole idea. If possible, I would suggest building it section at a time, starting with a section that will be mostly hidden, so that you a) learn from mistakes (and there will be some and
get some trains running, even if it's only on a 'there and back' basis.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted with pictures. If you need any help this is the place to come and you are sure to receive plenty of sound advice from the very friendly members.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts