Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cld anyone help, I would like to model the length of track from the road bridge over the H4 monks way (MK road cat) to the via duct at haversham a distance of approx 5km. I am trying to scale this distance down to 00 but am not sure if my figures are correct. I make it thus
5000meters/76=69.44 meters
Seems a heck of a long track!
Steve

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
My rule of thumb is that a mile in OO scale is approximately 60 feet so for 5 kilometres the 69 metre figure is correct. If that seems too large compared with your experience of the route in question, is the original 5000 metre measurement correct?

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I can identify the reference to the bridge over the Monks Way road but is the other end where the track goes over the River Great Ouse South-West of Haversham?

If so then the distance involved is 150mm on the (Philip's/OS) Bucks atlas which scales to around 2.7 kilometres on the prototype, or 35.5m in 4mm scale.

Yes - it is rather long! I take it you would like to model Wolverton station and the railway works? A fair degree of compression may be needed, as on most model railways, to get this into a reasonable space!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I multimaps to scale the line in question so 5km is a rough guess As I dont have anywhere to run the line in protypical manner I may have to use modellers licence and run it around a (very) big room, win the lottery or leave out some of the line. ANyone got an industrial unit to let on the cheap!!
I do indeed mean the haversham viaduct that crosses the river ouse and I do indeed intend to model wolverton station (on the bridge) and the works, so as suggested I think compression is in order.
Steve

·
Registered
199 Posts
Concrete Cows bridge UB171F is at about 51M 500Y, and the north end of the Ouse Viaduct UB178 is at 53M 13Y.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I work out that a mile is approx 69 feet in OO scale.

Calculation. 5280 feet x 4mm = 21120mm

21120 mm divided by 3048mm for a foot equals 69.29 feet.

(1 centimetre = 2.54 inches)

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 31 Dec 2008, 13:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I work out that a mile is approx 69 feet in OO scale.

Calculation. 5280 feet x 4mm = 21120mm

21120 mm divided by 3048mm for a foot equals 69.29 feet.

(1 centimetre = 2.54 inches)
Your calculation is correct, but 2.54cm ( or 25.4mm if you prefer) = 1 inch not the other way round as you said above.

Yes it is a long way, that's why N gauge is so popular, you can get more of the prototype in a given space, about twice as much.

Keith.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Is there the range of ready to run locos and rolling stock in N as in OO? As I intend to model the period from grouping to nationisation. Whilst on the subject. Could anyone tell me where I could source a list of rolling stock and locos that would have run on the west coast main line from Euston? What do the numbers mean eg 51m 500y is that the disctance from somewhere?

·
Registered
199 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 31 Dec 2008, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there the range of ready to run locos and rolling stock in N as in OO? As I intend to model the period from grouping to nationisation. Whilst on the subject. Could anyone tell me where I could source a list of rolling stock and locos that would have run on the west coast main line from Euston? What do the numbers mean eg 51m 500y is that the disctance from somewhere?

Yes 51 miles and 500 yards from Euston.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts