Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,935 Posts
I am with Jim's approach, which I think of as 'elastitime'. A schedule is worked sequentially with the movements in real time, linearly scaled train speed on the track, activity like shunting moves take as long as they take before the next conflicting movement is permitted. Conversely 'dead time' with no movements is mostly 'lost', and the next movement in sequence commences.

One of the aspects that was a real discovery for me, was how fast the real (steam worked) railway actually accomplished some fairly complex moves. To say that the work was done briskly both in signalling and loco handling was the least of it. Pictures of suburban stock with stove-in ends are not that hard to find, and when you work out the speeds at which ECS moves were accomplished to get a train turned round from the up relief platform across the up and down through, and down relief lines, and then reversed into the down bay for departure; the occasional braking misjudgement and 'firm contact' with the stops is easily explained. Particularly on a dark nght with a wet and greasy rail.

·
In depth idiot
7,935 Posts
The mail order retailers are pretty good about posting their own pictures of items in stock. Hattons and Rails of Sheffield generally have useable images so you can get a good idea. While UK RTR is not yet as exquisite as the best continental European productions, the more recent models are light years better than the ancient Triang Princess of fond memory. Just click on the images to enlarge. http://railsofsheffield.com/br-black-late-...3-JJJA9591.aspx

Then of course there are websites like this one, click on 'reviews' in the header bar for some truly unbiased and illustrated evaluations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts