Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Hornby Skaledale car (Ford Anglia) with a loco I purchased. I was surprised at the size of it. The only vehicles I have on the layout are a few Lledo Steam lorries which were my father's and the car seems tiny beside these. I guess it's in proportion to the rolling stock and station (Metcalfe) but compared with the luggage trolley (Hornby) it just doesn't look right as perhaps the luggage trolley is oversized?
Can someone explain which items are out of proportion.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not sure which steam lorries you have but most of the Lledo ones were overscale for OO. In fact, I suspect the Hornby (Oxford Diecast) Anglia is a little oversized as well - Anglias were quite a small car in reality. I have several of the much older Triang Minix Anglias and these seem to be more correctly scaled - thay look tiny next to the Oxford Diecast ones though.

As for the luggage trolley, I have no idea - perhaps someone else here has the necessary expertise to comment further.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I seem to recall we have been down this road before. I have measured both the Corgi and the Oxford Anglia vans and can safely say that the Oxford one is fairly accurate - the Corgi being overscale. It must be remembered that the Anglia was a very small car by modern standards.

I actually have an anglia (Oxford) and a ford E83 (Classix) both of which appear to be the correct size.

I think some of the worst offenders are the cars from Base toys which seem a little bulbous, the Hillman Imp being the worst offender. That having been said the Corgi J2 van is enormous as well.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 4 Jul 2008, 19:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not sure which steam lorries you have but most of the Lledo ones were overscale for OO. In fact, I suspect the Hornby (Oxford Diecast) Anglia is a little oversized as well - Anglias were quite a small car in reality. I have several of the much older Triang Minix Anglias and these seem to be more correctly scaled - thay look tiny next to the Oxford Diecast ones though.

As for the luggage trolley, I have no idea - perhaps someone else here has the necessary expertise to comment further.

***Not too hard to suss it out with a ruler:

The classic 105E Anglia with the underset rear window was a really small & cramped car (my mum had one for many years... it was actually much less comfortable space wise than my Mini when I borrowed it and was with the girlfriend
):

Wikipedia shows it as:
12'-9" long over bumpers - should be appx 51mm in OO scale - wheelbase was a tad over 30mm
4'-10" wide - should be a tad over 19mm high
4'-9" wide - should be close to 19mm wide

The Classic luggage trolley was about 6 feet long, with a platform about four feet wide and ends up to appx four feet high (plus at a guess 12" for underframe and wheels). Thats about 24mm long, 16mm wide and appx 18~9mm high. I'm sure this varied over time but would never have been much bigger.

there's a useful page of info on these at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/11-truck.htm

re people... same thing applies - just get a ruler and measure them!

In 2006 the average height in UK (and most of USA & EU for that matter) for a man was 5'9-1/2" (OO scale = 23mm) and for a woman 5'4-1/2" (OOscale = 21.6mm). Each successive generation has been appx .75 of an inch average taller since the turn of last century so these sizes would be TALL people for a pre WW2 layout.....

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
When I look at die-cast OO vehicles they nearly always seem to have much heavier windscreen pillars & window surrounds, making the actual windows look too small. Also, where the originals had crome/stainless trim round the glazed area's the models seem to be much too wide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts