Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought from the name that scaledale was based on building from oop norf, but the windmill is the spit of one next to the deal to dover road! Does anyone have any idea if Hornby bases scaledale stuff on real buildings or do they make it up as they go along?
Steve

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
QUOTE Does anyone have any idea if Hornby bases scaledale stuff on real buildings or do they make it up as they go along?

As far as I know they are almost all based on real buildings.

David

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dont know the location of the latest buildings but i do know that the early ones were based on buildings in Louth Lincs. I had thought that I recognised some of them and then I was sent a copy of an article from a Louth paper that confirmed the location

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
If the Scaledale buildings are models of actual properties, does Hornby have to get permission from the owners ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes it is all based on real buildings. Simon Kohler is on record as having said he keeps an eye out for modellable buildings on his travels. The windmill is based on one close to Hornby's Margate headquarters so may well be the one Steve (the OP) saw.

Some of the earlier releases of station buildings were based very closely on the NYMR.

One certainly can't accuse Hornby o bias as far as the locations of buildings they have chosen to model as they have done both northern ones and some from "dahn souf".

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 3 Feb 2009, 02:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the Scaledale buildings are models of actual properties, does Hornby have to get permission from the owners ?

Interesting point - do you have "copyright" on your house ?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Re copyright - as far as I am aware, the answer is 'No'. It is still quite legal to take pictures from a public place (even if you are then stopped and questioned under the 'anti-terrorist' laws!) and the copyright of those pictures is yours and yours alone. So as I understand it, if you make a 3D picture (ie a model) that is your copyright.

But bearing in mind that to photograph/draw the back of a building you will probably need to enter onto private land, I expect Hornby do ask people for permission.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (SRman @ 3 Feb 2009, 07:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes it is all based on real buildings. Simon Kohler is on record as having said he keeps an eye out for modellable buildings on his travels. The windmill is based on one close to Hornby's Margate headquarters so may well be the one Steve (the OP) saw.
Could well be the windmill mentioned earlier is based on the one in Herne, Can be seen from the A299 heading coastbound, rather than the one on the A256.
Steve

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The windmill is, I believe based on the one in Margate - it can be seen from Hornby's offices. Other buildings from the locality are the factory which is based on the Hornby offices, the clock tower, which is on Margate seafront and the derelict building which is opposite the factory (mind you it has now been restored so you wouldn't recognise it!)

Any help?

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never seen the one in Margate! I knew the factory was based on the hornby one in Westwood. I used to work behind there at Emco.
Steve

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (theakerr @ 3 Feb 2009, 02:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i do know that the early ones were based on buildings in Louth Lincs. I had thought that I recognised some of them and then I was sent a copy of an article from a Louth paper that confirmed the location

Ah yes - see below

QUOTE (SRman @ 3 Feb 2009, 07:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon Kohler is on record as having said he keeps an eye out for modellable buildings on his travels.

As I recall Simon in fact originates from Lincolnshire - which may explain that.

QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 3 Feb 2009, 17:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to work behind there at Emco.

And how many people know what they do! (although they probably see the firms products every day of the week!)

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Emco (now syltone) make parts for road haulage tankers perochemicals etc.
I was for a few years a CNC operator there (computer controlled lathes mostly) which was a shock to the system as I am a qualified CNC programmer/ toolmaker. This explains my retraining and subsequent self employment as a gas/plumbing/heating engineer cos there was Fkcu all work down here that paid the rates I was used to up in Herts!!!!
Steve

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
As has already mention above, Simon Kohler is from Lincolnshire, Louth to be presise.

The thatched pub is actually the Kings Head in Horncastle (also Lincolnshire) locally nicknamed 'The Thatch'

Am hoping he might model my work, would be funny to see my hotel in model form

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 4 Feb 2009, 17:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Am hoping he might model my work,

Modelling mine would be amusing - probably the only growth industry in the UK at present!

Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts