Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I bought a couple of Scammel Scarab artics for my layout, one LMS and one BRITISH RAILWAYS, but "aint" they small ? I am slightly disapointed by their size, yes ok I can use them but if they were a "tad" bigger they would be much more enjoyable.
They are from the Lineside or trackside or whatever it is called range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any pics for us 41235?

If its the Lineside range aren't they correct scale for OO use anyway? but yes, the Scarab was never the largest of vehicles!

Alex

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
If I remember correctly the Scarab was quite small vehicle anyway.

The model may seem smallish compared to other "OO" road vehicles as IMHO many "OO" road vehicles are a little overlarge anyway.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Scarab was designed as a replacement for a horse and cart, and was designed to be easily manouverable in the small yards and entrances that both the railways and their customers had at that time. We've perhaps got conditioned to rather larger vehicles in the last thirty years!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
There were actually two slightly different "sizes" of Scarab, one with a heavier loading than the other - one was 3 tons but I can't remember what the other was.

For all that, they were quite small vehicles, especially when compared to today's monsters. I haven't actually got a Trackside one, but the Bachmann, Airfix and Merit/Peco (dreadful model that!) are all comparable in size with each other. I read somewhere that the Trackside one might be a little oversized (but don't quote me on that).

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 1 May 2008, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There were actually two slightly different "sizes" of Scarab, one with a heavier loading than the other - one was 3 tons but I can't remember what the other was.

The other was six tons.

The history of these vehicles is quite complex and would easily justify a fairly substantial book. So, I will offer a brief overview. The first direct replacement for the horse and cart was the Scammel Mechanical Horse a boxy three wheeler designed to move the original horse drawn vehicles then to be found in abundance. (this made the Scarab look big!) The MH survived until well into BR days, but by 1949 the Scarab had been introduced to replace it and was available until it was replaced in 1963(?) by the Townsman.

Interestingly before the introduction of the Townsman offers were invited from other manufacturers to replace the Scarab. The contendes were BMC,Bedford and Standard.

Finally as far as I am aware the Scarab was never supplied to the pre-grouping companies.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
to give an idea of size, the Scarab's cab barely accomodated a driver...the older, square version [I saw them still in use around Waterloo, back in 1972..]]....I think the driver actually stood up.....certainly the seat, if there was one, would be nowt more than a plank.
But then, old vehicles like buses, etc, didn't really care about driver comfort...if some of the old buses I drove were anything to go by

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Oh" yes, I remember many "moons ago", when I was at school, actually many MANY moons ago ha ha, I remember these vehicles running in and out of the Warwick road goods dept in Coventry.
Having said that I cannot remember if they were "sporting" LMS or British Railways, I THINK it was British Railways livery, anyway the makers have done the vehicles in all regions colours, LMS, EASTERN REGION, SOUTHERN REGION and GREAT WESTERN as well as BRITISH RAILWAYS.
Now the interesting thing is I have got a Royal Mail one by Corgi and it is massive compared with these, the Corgi one is for a collection on its own, it would not be any good for an 00 layout it is well oversized for that.

"Er" I forgot who it was that mentioned photos, is it "pics" of the Scammels you want ? I can most certainly take some with my "Dijjy" camera, I dont mind, but I dont know how to get them on here, BUT if you e mail me I will reply attaching the "pics" and if you know how to put them on here and you want to then that would be great.

Let me know, I will take the "pics" anyway and I will have them ready.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK OK ,THIS IS GOING TO BE IN LARGE PRINT................ I APOLOGISE A MILLION TIMES OK ?
Call it a senior moment ha ha......... they are NOT Scarabs, the Scarab came later they are actually the Scammel Mechanical Horse.

"Oh" dear I made a "boob boob", well I am a novice (thats my excuse) !

But anyway they are still small and I will still take the "pics" if you want.
Right I am blushing now so I am off.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 1 May 2008, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Oh" dear I made a "boob boob", well I am a novice (thats my excuse) !

Well I forgot the correct name too - the Scarab is currently the name used for mechanical roadsweepers.

The Scammels I remember the best were the ones that ran from Margate Harbour (the Stone Pier) to the gasworks about half a mile away. The coal arrived in barges & was loaded from the barge to the trailer by a grab that ran on rails.

I don't think that these ones even had doors, but I'm certain that the drivers stood up (probably more comfortable !).

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 1 May 2008, 20:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now the interesting thing is I have got a Royal Mail one by Corgi and it is massive compared with these, the Corgi one is for a collection on its own, it would not be any good for an 00 layout it is well oversized for that.

The Corgi Royal Mail Scarab isactually 1/50 scale - actually nearer O.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 May 2008, 14:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Piccy stolen from the Hornby buys Corgi thread shows a couple of mechanical horses.

Regards

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 May 2008, 10:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Piccy stolen from the Hornby buys Corgi thread shows a couple of mechanical horses.

Regards

Yes thats them, they are smart little models but just a wee bit too small, for me anyway, but I have got them now so on the layout they will go.

The Royal Mail Scarab is not a bad model . I actually bought it before my layout, so it stands with my other models I have got behind glass in a case.

Thanks for putting that page from Hornby on the forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 May 2008, 07:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I forgot the correct name too - the Scarab is currently the name used for mechanical roadsweepers.

The Scammels I remember the best were the ones that ran from Margate Harbour (the Stone Pier) to the gasworks about half a mile away. The coal arrived in barges & was loaded from the barge to the trailer by a grab that ran on rails.

I don't think that these ones even had doors, but I'm certain that the drivers stood up (probably more comfortable !).

Yes I saw a Scarab roadsweeper around here recently, I thought "by heck" that name brings back memories.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 2 May 2008, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes I saw a Scarab roadsweeper around here recently, I thought "by heck" that name brings back memories.
Probably a good choice of name because AFAIK the Scarab Beetle eats rubbish !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 May 2008, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably a good choice of name because AFAIK the Scarab Beetle eats rubbish !

"Er" right ok, they got the name right anyway.
I did hear sometime last year that some manufacturer of Lorries in this country were thinking of producing a lorry on the same idea as the old Scarab, with a three wheel tractor unit, it was if I remember, going to have the same engine as the "Tuk Tuks" used in India, apparently they reckon it would help stop the Juggernauts coming in to inner city areas, but I thought at the time one load of a juggernaught would fill about three smaller lorries.
Anyway never heard anymore so it must of fell through.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 3 May 2008, 07:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did hear sometime last year that some manufacturer of Lorries in this country were thinking of producing a lorry on the same idea as the old Scarab, with a three wheel tractor unit, it was if I remember, going to have the same engine as the "Tuk Tuks" used in India, apparently they reckon it would help stop the Juggernauts coming in to inner city areas, but I thought at the time one load of a juggernaught would fill about three smaller lorries.
Anyway never heard anymore so it must of fell through.

That sounds a bit like an April Fools joke ... but it also has a ring of truth about it! In London, and possibly some of the other major cities, they use the old-fashioned horse-drawn brewers drays for deliveries still, because large vehicles can't access the lanes and alleyways. The Mechanical Horse and its derivative Scarab were designed to replace the need for horses in railway yards and confined operating spaces.

Some things don't change - the need is still there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 2 May 2008, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes thats them, they are smart little models but just a wee bit too small, for me anyway, but I have got them now so on the layout they will go.

My Dad used to drive the old 3 wheelers for BR & SR so I got some rides too. they really are tiny by todays standards. Have a look at this site for more data/info & pics including models. http://www.mechanical-horse-club.co.uk/ A club member is a friend and we hope to have two Scarabs outside a model railway exhibition we are holding in Peacehaven, East Sussex on Saturday 25th October this year.

regards
David Y

·
Registered
17 Posts
I remember sitting inside a mechanical horse which was under restoration at Bewdley, sometime in the 70`s. It was decidedly snug inside, so they were on the small side.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts