·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
This is going to be an interesting topic

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
I am definitely interested in seeing your photos, particularly the continental ones. I am fascinated by how far and wide locos and rolling stock from different countries travel. Is there any railway company whose coaches travel as widely as the OBB? I've seen OBB coaches in Antwerp and Venice.

I will be watching out for how the traffic changes over the years and how long the locos stay in service.

I am happy with a 'pot luck' approach so hopping about year to year does not bother me. Not sure about whether to separate out the British photos. It would be interesting to see how they compare in mostly diesel, fixed unit Britain with electric shunted Europe. Or maybe the photos will show my preconceptions are wrong

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
Love i

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
I have a photo taken last year (2019) showing a couple of 218s stabled on the sidings to the top right of the station. The next siding had an SBB 421 in Cargo livery.

Apart from being a very pretty town, the other thing that sticks in my memory about Lindau is that it has the only lighthouse in Bavaria.

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
We were in Konstanz for a week in summer 2017. My memories of the railway are a level crossing at the end of the station which gave access to the harbour. I did see that signal box so I guess it's gone. The road, railway and pedestrians all have their own parallel bridges over the Rhine.

Passenger trains on the DB side were double deckers with 'Electric Containers' for traction.
My one photo of trains on the SBB side show another suburban double decker - ie not IC2000 and a railcar, probably a Flirt.
I don't remember any freight but to be honest unless it's an intermodal, I tend not to notice

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
A couple of days ago I came across this youtuber - https://www.youtube.com/c/RailwayEmotions - who is uploading cab videos of routes in north west Switzerland. I'm guessing he's an SBB driver. I've watched a few of the ones around Konstanz as we did some cycling round the lake and the paths were often alongside the railway.

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
Those 218s have lasted a very long time. They were still in service up to the end of last year on the Lindau - Munich section of the Munich - Zurich route at which time it finally went all electric. I'm guessing that there are still some non-electrified routes where they are still running.

Re embedding PDFs - sorry, I've no idea.

David

Reactions: Babz and reddo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts