Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Where did you go John (Allegheny)...looks like the Band is getting back together

Great pictures John (GV) - please keep them coming. Maybe as you go through, place the non-Continental ones in seperate box and just go back to them ie stay on one theme for simplification.

What a life that must have been - as I see the pics, I mentally tick off the ones I have, and the dates cause me to think where I was in the world..

Cheers

QUOTE (John Edge @ 13 Jul 2020, 09:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi John, All,
I've made it back on here again! No longer as Allegheny1600, just my real name now.
Anyway, it's really good to see your efforts with the slide scanner, very organised with all those notebooks.
I particularly love the images of the 194 Eloks, a favourite of mine however I've only seen one stuffed and mounted as it were.
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Great evocative pictures John. I was only yesterday watching the Railways of Northern Germany VHS which is from this era. These loco pulled trains were far more characterful than the 'tubes' they now use. Cheers

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
In SW France John. I was also looking at your CZ map and spotted Karlovy Vary; I went there 2-3 times while working with Honeywell and what an amazing place, it's like Harrogate on steroids and has a huge history as a Spa resort since the early 20th century. The wealthy Germans visit it regularly as for treatments. The local hotels are like going back 50-60 years, wonderful place (its in the base of a valley)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thanks for the comments chaps. Good to see some old friends. John - I hope that the move to Greece is all you wanted it to be. I know that you and your wife have been dreaming of this for years. Reddo - where are you living now?

Back to my scans. The way that the years fly by surprises me and I sometimes have to remind myself that the photos that I feature here were taken up to 40 years ago .......... and more. The Schleswig-Holstein images that I am referring to here were taken around Easter 1988. That's 33 years ago and 18 months before the wall came down (Mauerfall). With that in mind I thought that a reminder of the divided nature of Germany at that time.

Much has changed since Der Mauerfall but back in 1988 the main traffic flows of West Germany were Hamburg <> Munchen via Hannover and Wurzburg, skirting the internal border with East Germany, and, the Rhine route to the western side linking the Ruhr area and Basel/Zurich and thence Italy. Freight traffic from the Hamburg area followed the eastern route even though it was somewhat tortuous partly because the Rhine route was so heavily used by freight traffic emanating from the ports of Rotterdam/Antwerp flowing south. Of course there was a flow of railfreight destined for the Ruhr area emanating from Scandinavia or other flows through the northern ports which would pass through Bremen, thus westward. I have over simplified the position here but spare freight paths between the Ruhr and Mainz/Frankfurt (basically the classic, scenic Rhine section through Germany) were hard to find.

Back now to Harburg and what I recorded in 1988. As John Edge has mentioned, Harburg was a fascinating station to visit. The sheer variety of traffic is astonishing and there is still much to enjoy even though, as Reddo says, the variety of traction may not be so varied as before. To illustrate this we can look at the Hamburg Hbf. <> Cuxhaven service which reversed and changed traction at Harburg. I documented the reversal in Harburg of the 11:11 Cuxhaven > Hamburg Hbf service:

The cycle started at Harburg with a Class 110 electric loco waiting at the northern end of platform 6.

110-287-0 waiting at the north end of platform 6 ........ being passed by a not in service northbound Shienenbus VT98.

218-490-1 arrives with the passenger working from Cuxhaven. The Cuxhaven branch was electrified only as far as Stade.

The Class 110 then drops back onto the rear of the train ready to haul it to Hamburg Hbf (Dep. 12:58). Here we see the train being passed by 218-122-0 hauling a single wagon northwards at 13:00.

Extract from Thomas Cook European Timetable - April 1988. The very one I had with me on that day.

Many years later, in 2007, I was contracted by Bombardier to assist with their maintenance support for TRAXX locomotives throughout Europe (I think that I have mentioned this before). I worked with the team putting together the service schedules for the Metronom contract, based at Uelzen and running services to Hamburg, one of which was that very Cuxhaven service. The Metronom TRAXX fleet comprised a mixture of electric and diesel locomotives (Class 246) pushing/pulling rakes of double deck coaches (built in Gorlitz on the Germany/Poland border). The use of the TRAXX diesel loco throughout between Cuxhaven <> Hamburg Hbf did away with the loco change at Harburg. The savings would have been considerable and if you look at the 637b timetable of 1988 you will see that it was very wasteful of locomotives, at times using up to 4 locomotives for a very infrequent service. It also required ground staff to hook and unhook at Harburg. I remember checking the loco requirement for this service in 2007 and a combination of improved running times and elimination of the loco change helped to improve the service to an hourly frequency without a prohibitive increase in fleet costs. The running time was reduced from 125 minutes in 1988 to 107 minutes today. Sadly I cannot lay my hands on my notebook that contains the 2007 fleet calculations. I know I have it but where have I put it???

Photo from RailFan Enthusiast Website

That anecdote was not the one I mentioned in my previous post ............ that is still to come.

Best regards ............... Greyvoices (alias John)
Just a courtesy reply John as I hv been gone awhile and catching up with all these threads. I moved down to the house we built in 2005, in 2018. After 4 great years àt Honeywell based in Munich, the Americans had another shuffle and in 2017 a numpty French manager took over our small team with classic FR management attritubes ie wanted to know everything, be everywhere but added zero value. Long story short I left at end of 2017 on a VR package aidedby my old big boss that hired me. In hindsight I guess it was fate, with CV19 looming, then my illness for 12 months now which I am slowly cmg back from. Anyway, still here and fighting, my MR interests hv been a great aid notably through YT videos and now back again on this forum. Your pics and history are superb. I caught the film Odessa File a couple of times recently on Talking Pics TV and the in period footage inside Munich station is v evocative, those class BR221s 😋 John Voight at one point stands outside the DB lounge on the upper level, right where I used to go! Any apologies for the extended ramble. Cheers

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Those 218s have lasted a very long time. They were still in service up to the end of last year on the Lindau - Munich section of the Munich - Zurich route at which time it finally went all electric. I'm guessing that there are still some non-electrified routes where they are still running.

Re embedding PDFs - sorry, I've no idea.

David
Indeed! And Roco hv issued models of the Re 421 locos in the commemorative livery of the remaining track electrification section in DCC ready and DCC sound. There is a fab picture out there of a pair of Re 421s double heading so I had to dig deep the other day and get both. I need to dig out the BR218 pics I am sure I took. Cheers

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
[QUOTEJust a courtesy reply John as I hv been gone awhile and catching up with all these threads. ]
It's good to see you back Reddo. I didn't know that you had a health problem but your report of recovery is welcome. How clunky a sentence is that? What;s happened to your layout and collection of models which I remember as being quite large.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)
[/QUOTE]
Thanks John. Its slow recovery process but enjoying coming back to this forum and seeing all the latest news and acquisitions 🤗 The layout is in a state of hibernation but it wont take much to connect up all the last pieces of Profi track. I also keep buying bits and bobs (locos, building kits, lighting kits etc) when they are in the sale on MSL. I find the German approach to engineering their kits is just exemplary. So, all good fun and then there is YouTube with some cracking videos eg on the Alex/CSD sets between Munich and Prague. Lovely

1 - 8 of 8 Posts