Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good morning to you all,

I have been using SCARM now for a few hours and my overall impression is very positive. This program has arrived at a good time for me as i am in the early stages of a new layout design and I was preparing to transfer all my "chook scratchings" from my notepad to some form of design software. I used SCARM as a test for this leap and the feeling was good.

The program and its functions were easy to navigate through and easily identified on the Menu Bar and the Toolbar. The libraries are very comprehensive however I must admit I only used the Peco library to any great extent.

What sold it for me was the fantastic 3D feature which enable me to view my layout plan in a 3D representation. Using the mouse movement, the left-mouse button and scroll wheel, I was able to "fly" around my layout, viewing it from all angles. This visual feature brought my layout to life! (see attached image 2).

Mixy, I have some constructive point to mention:

1. I felt the scroll wheel on the mouse in the 3D function was reversed (at least for me). When I rolled the scroll wheel "forward", I expected the view to zoom in but instead the view zoomed out. Did anyone else experience this?

2. I could not locate any turntables however I understand that they are being considered in future updates.

3. In 3D screen, you need a "2D" button on the toolbar to take you back to 2D mode.

4. In 3D mode I would like to see a "point of view" (POV) or "loco view" feature where you can lock the camera to the track and move the camera "along the track, providing a cab view. I very clumsily simulated this with my mouse to simulate the shunting operation of my design to a colleague. Whilst I do not want to turn SCARM into a train simulator, I feel this simple feature would be very helpful (see attached image 3).

5. When using the Screenshot function in 3D mode, can you provide other image formats in addition to BMP's? i.e. JPG and PNG?

6. I think was your program evolves you may want change the name. When I first read the opening post, and indeed when the software was extracting, the first this I my brain registered was the word "SCAM". This may be a distraction to some users downloading and reading it for the first time.

Overall, an excellent package, far superior to the Atlas and RTS equivalent, and it will be my program of choice from here on in. Like many others here on MRF, I welcome your endeavour in providing a free application to the model railway community. I am more than happy continue testing and providing feedback for you.

Well done.

Regards,
Stephen

Slope Rectangle Plot Line Font

Slope Rectangle Parallel Magenta Font

Slope Plant Grass Urban design Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Alan, the 900kb file - does it have a "folder" icon, or a "vice-type" icon? I suspect the "vice-type" icon. If so you need to search for the folder called SCARM. Windows had extracted it and put it somewhere. When you find it, open it, and it will have the 1,600kb file inside.

(Sorry if this is going over old ground or telling you how to suck eggs, Alan
)

Stephen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Mixy,

I've been using SCARM extensively this evening and I am finding it a wonderfully simple, yet effective application to use. My layout plans have progressed and although it is a very simple layout, SCARM's 3D feature is a great assistance in helping me visualise the final product.

Mixy, I have two suggestions for possible future versions, if I may....

1. When you right-click on a track item and view the "Length of Selected Section", could this value be displayed at the bottom of the screen automatically when a track items is selected? And well as the feature appearing on the right-click menu.

2. When drawing the baseboard, in addition to dragging lines to create the outline of the baseboard, could the x/y values be also entered by the user? For example, when the user enters the "Recreate Baseboard" function, an input form appears (or is always present in the top corner of the display) where the user can enter 0,0 (Enter) 2000,0 (Enter) 2000,2000 (Enter) 0,2000 (Enter) etc.

Regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mixy, Well done on the new version
The turntables are great! and the installer works a treat!!!

For fear of throwing more work at you, I have a suggestion for a future release? The baseboard editing is very, very handy, and it works exceptionally well. Perhaps later on is it possible to look at a "grid snap" option? Where the user can choose a resolution to snap to (e.g 1cm, 5cm, 10cm etc)

Still have to think of a better name for the software. Perhaps open it up to the membership. Best name gets a free copy of SCARM !

Don't forget to get over to http://www.nscale.net/forums and promote it!

Regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Dave,

In order to place a track piece on the plan, you need a start location (a red arrow) to connect to. This red arrow can be (1) on the end of an existing track piece or (2) you can create a new start position, without connecting to an existing track piece.

To explain (2) first..

- Right click anywhere on the worksheet. In the dropdown menu, select New Start point. The mouse cursor changes to an arrow.

- Click and hold the left mouse button anywhere on the worksheet. Don't release the left mouse button just yet! You have just placed a start point "red arrow".

- By moving the mouse around whilst holding the left button, you can change the orientation of the start point.

- Release the left mouse button.

- Goto your library on the left of screen and select a track piece. If the piece you choose has only two possible ends to join, it will automatically connect to the red arrow. If it has more than two possible ends to join (e.g. a point or crossover) you need to choose which end of the track piece you wish to connect to the red arrow.

(1)

- You can click on the end of any available track piece already placed on the worksheet (the end of the track pieces all have grey arrows). The grey arrow will turn to red and this will be the next connection point.

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE (Drewfield @ 11 Apr 2011, 07:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is impressive!! Too much for my layout though
but I'll still download the latest version.

Great to see the program developing with new features seemingly being added weekly. Well done Mixy

regards Drew

Yes, I second that Drew. Great work by Mixy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts