In order to place a track piece on the plan, you need a start location (a red arrow) to connect to. This red arrow can be (1) on the end of an existing track piece or (2) you can create a new start position, without connecting to an existing track piece.
To explain (2) first..
- Right click anywhere on the worksheet. In the dropdown menu, select New Start point. The mouse cursor changes to an arrow.
- Click and hold the left mouse button anywhere on the worksheet. Don't release the left mouse button just yet! You have just placed a start point "red arrow".
- By moving the mouse around whilst holding the left button, you can change the orientation of the start point.
- Release the left mouse button.
- Goto your library on the left of screen and select a track piece. If the piece you choose has only two possible ends to join, it will automatically connect to the red arrow. If it has more than two possible ends to join (e.g. a point or crossover) you need to choose which end of the track piece you wish to connect to the red arrow.
- You can click on the end of any available track piece already placed on the worksheet (the end of the track pieces all have grey arrows). The grey arrow will turn to red and this will be the next connection point.
I hope this helps in some way.