Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody offer me some advice on how i can apply scatter on steep gradients. I'm using the classic 50/50 PVA glue/water mix which works fine on shallow gradients and on the flat but it just doesn't stick. Is there a better method out there or this just a case of persevering?!?
Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tommy

I suggest that you try using your PVA mix much thicker, perhaps almost neat. Just brush it onto your scenery. As it dries clear it should not be a problem shining through. You will have to press your scatter into it rather than sprinkling it on of course.

Where there are steep gradients, you would not expect the surface to be just grass, there will be patches of bare earth or rocks and bushes as well. Also animals tend to follow pathways along the contours.

Colombo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colombo,

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow with a thicker mix which hopefully should solve it, i'll let you know how I get on!

Tommy

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Another option would be to use some of these grass mat options made by Noch and others. I have used these in places on my layout and for a longer grass effect they are ok. They are also considerably easier to put into place than scatter material.

I have put a link below from an American website which has several of these options. There seems to be all sorts of grass effects available. Most of these will be available in the UK or Australia as well as the USA.

Scenic Express

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say Neil that it does look really impressive, i'll have to see if my local model shop is a stockist!! I persevered with the scatter using a stronger glue mix and the results were much better, if not perfect, what helped was using a more coarse scatter material as well. Thanks for all your advice everyone, this was my first post and it's good to know there are people who'll help the modeller with a problem!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there, had this prob myself. Cover your area in PVA then have your scatter horizontally on a piece of card and blow it on from the opposing side. You can position the card to suit you best. Bits of stiff flock can be glued afterwards with EVOSTICK or similar.

Alternatively, you could scatter the piece of scenery on a flat surface then glue it vertically afterwards. This works well with stone scree effects like newly stabilised embankments etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit late in the day, I have only just joined the forum. On steep gradients it may be better to use undefelt, the old fashion type teased out. It gives a much better impression of tufted grass. You will need to paint it to the right shad using poster paint and you can then use scatter onto the felt.

Hope this helps and the best of modelling

Peterl

·
Registered
521 Posts
Right off the real topic, I have never, ever, seen better scenic work than those Silflor pictures.
INCREDIBLE realism and I am struck totally dumb with admiration!

Having eventuall regained the power of speech, well of fingers anyway, it seems that Silflor is German in origin, so it should be readily available throughout Europe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts