Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished the baseboards and started track laying but I can see a problem looming. One side of my layout is going to be hidden storage sidings, which I know some of you would do without, but they are there to stay. I had originally intended to put a tunnel mouth at each end as a scenic break but I can now see problems.
1. In reality tunnels are usually approached by long, increasingly deep cuttings and I haven't got room for these.
2. Tunnel mouths at both ends would be a bit boring.

I have had a few other ideas none of which I'm totally happy with.
1. Trains enter a very wooded area - don't want to make all those trees.
2. A single track line crosses on an over-bridge - don't like the front end looking as though it has been sliced off.
3. road over-bridge - ditto.

Has anyone a good idea for a scenic break which is not included above? Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 9 Nov 2007, 15:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Instead of country (Bat-cave etc.), what about small scale industrial with some engine sheds or a factory. Locos could go in and through to hidden sidings.

To take Dougs idea a stage further there is a famous level crossing somewhere in London (?) where houses have been demolished from part of a terrace - the trains literally go through the houses. Alternatively you could take a look at the Mac Davies book on the LSWR then and now - should provide some food for thought.

Regards

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could have the line going through a factory complex that has been built on either side with overhead walkways, pipework etc disguising the hole in the backscene, or something similar set immediately alongside an overbridge so that the bridge provides most of the screening but is not phyiscally hard up against the backscene.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
view blocks.

can the actual viewing height be raised, ie layout be lifted up?

This would ease the usual birds-eye viewline, making possible use of viewblock buildings, etc?

another trick would be, to curve the 'main line' in an arc around the viewer, then limit the extreme edges of the viewing angle with a fascia, or tall buildings in front, at either end?

thus the viewer cannot 'see' where the trains go to, or come from, without sticking their nebs into un-natural angles?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
One trick that seems to be getting more popular is to have one end of a station - a road overbridge crosses the station and forms the break - it is softened by station buildings, platform canopies etc. If placed on the start of a bend the visible platforms can have a bit of a curve too. Leaves more room in front for the goods yard, engine shed and the like plus the various cross-overs to access the platforms.

'Ashington' in the 'Hornby Magazine' for November (issue 5) is the most recent example I've seen in the magazines of this type of break. Also I've just noted 'Oxbury Town' in the same issue is similar.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I've got a similar situation on my layout. What I was thinking was to have the backdrop just plain sky and use a signal gantry to mask the hole where the trains go through. I haven't assembled the gantry yet to see how this looks though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What about something like a farmers occupation bridge if the setting is rural or a motorway/bypass bridge in an urban setting both can come in all sorts of differant shapes and sizes and could be designed to blend into the layout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts