Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can get modelling sheets of plastic corrugated effect panelling which adorn the diesel depots of the 70s to modern day?

I'm scratchbuilding a depot which will of the type at Allerton/Buxton/Lincoln/Colchester/knottingley and need that type of panelling on the walls. I intend to use a foamboard structure for the basic frame with brick sheets where appropriate and the panelling I refer to above.

Also does anyone make the 'wasp stripe' doors/roller doors which are set into the entrances of most depots or is there a transfer/sticker I can buy?

Any help much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi DiesAL,

For corrugated sheeting take a look at the plastruct range of sheets, you do not say if it in OO or N gauge i have used #91810 from their range to good effect for roller shutters in N gauge.
For OO you need #91509 as can be seen on this link .... http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1484_1_13017.html the staff there at antics are very good give them a call and they will be able to give you the options of sheet they have in stock.
If my memory serves me correctly evergreen sheets are advertised in railway modeller regularly another source of larger sheets of corrugated sheeting the link for their product is http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm scroll down about half way down page there, both products are far better than the small sheet available usually and are flexible if needed for roofing.

As to decal sheets for wasp stripping give fox transfers a ring they might have something suitable, if the doors were a flat surface another option would be to spray them yellow and then mask of the stripes and overspray black, tedious masking but they will look better than a decal.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 12 Jun 2008, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi DiesAL,

For corrugated sheeting take a look at the plastruct range of sheets, you do not say if it in OO or N gauge i have used #91810 from their range to good effect for roller shutters in N gauge.
For OO you need #91509 as can be seen on this link .... http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1484_1_13017.html the staff there at antics are very good give them a call and they will be able to give you the options of sheet they have in stock.
If my memory serves me correctly evergreen sheets are advertised in railway modeller regularly another source of larger sheets of corrugated sheeting the link for their product is http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm scroll down about half way down page there, both products are far better than the small sheet available usually and are flexible if needed for roofing.

As to decal sheets for wasp stripping give fox transfers a ring they might have something suitable, if the doors were a flat surface another option would be to spray them yellow and then mask of the stripes and overspray black, tedious masking but they will look better than a decal.

DiesAL,
antics also do a full range of plastruct girders as you mentioned in another posting, the best way to bond them together is a small brush and plasticweld cement as the name suggests it welds rather than glues the joint, hold both halves together and run a bead of plasticweld down the joint with the brush.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ratio and Wills both make corrugated plastic card. Some people use corrugated card available from craft shops.
Ben

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi DiesAL,

I too wondered how to do it but I think I managed to get around it by using normal car pinstripe stickers that they use in the automotive industry.

I basically painted the corrugated plastic all yellow and once dried I measured out the dips and troughs of the corrugated areas and made them even and cut the pinstripes to just overlength of what would show. The results aren't bad and depending on how thick a stripe you get you won't be able to see the join in most cases and with a bit of weathering you won't see it anyway.

If you look at the picture I have attached it is the one on the left that Upnick did for me and I painted and sorted the doors myself once I recieved it.

The one thing I would say about the pinstripes are that they are cheap enough to buy and easy to work with but they do come with a little shiney top surface that can be dulled down with weathering and it doesn't look that bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
I painted the wasp stripes on using a normal thin brush, carefully, took ages but well worth it. I think Fox do the wasp stripes for an 08, so if they have it in O gauge it might be alright for an OO depot, I think the OO scale ones would look to thin on an OO depot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the wasp strips, paint it all in yellow, cover the parts which will remain yellow with masking tape and paint it all black. When the paint is dry, remove the masking tape.
Ben

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
I seem to recall that we had this same question a few months ago.

Try doing a search or 'corrugated sheet' and you should find it.

Slaters also do corugated sheet to suit various scales. This is the link to their web site.

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/Plastikar...plastikard1.htm

Happy Modelling,

Expat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts