Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working lately on a scratchbuilt house to eventually go on my layout. Started out using card, but got frustrated doing the cladding so I scrapped it and started again in styrene. Its not modeled on any particular building. I am still working out whether to detail the interior or not yet.
The start of the house in styrene

And after some extra details and some paint.

Geoff

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Its looking good Geoff,

I would add some cross bracing before you put the roof on, in my experiance, plastic buildings have a tendency to bow along walls, espesially once you start cutting out windows and doors, I now over engineer all the ones I make (can be sen in the MILLDALE thread in 'On your bench')

Keep up the good modellig and post more pics when you've got them

Brian

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks guys. I was thinking I would need to brace it and this was confirmed when I tried fitting the roof over the small front room. Turns out I had less material for the roof then I thought and have now run out of pieces that will fit the size I need. So a trip needed to the hobby shop later in the week.
Anyway I have what parts of the roof I can. It is evergreen CGI sheet. Put in some flooring while still deciding whether to detail the interior, but have finally decided to just use curtains over the windows. The glass in the sliding door is cut from the plastic packs nails come in these days and the rest of the windows are krystal klear.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Step 1 Find out where Geoff lives
Step 2 call on his wife and convince here that his time would be better spent playing with his children
Step 3 offer to take the trains away for free in case Geoff has any emotional attachment and cannot part with them
Step 4 make sure I am on plane on the way home before Geoff gets home

Its looking really good Geoff, will there be empty XXXX cans on the porch?

John

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Probably should be XXXX given the time period it will be set in ie. when Queensland was completely XXXX country. I would much rather that they be Tooheys though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hobby shop was out of the plastic sheeting I wanted to complete the roof, so I purchased some AMRI aluminium CGI instead. Removed the plastic roof parts I had already put on and used the aluminium for the whole roof. Next step is the gutters, downpipes etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts