Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just back from Pecorama (hugley disapointing) and the Seaton Colyford tramway.
Seaton Trams. This was a huge sucess, the trams were great, the journey
unique, and I can highly recommend it. Ok I've been to Peco many times before, and we just wanted an easy drive to see the sea. I thought there were more layouts, yes the narrow gauge steam is an attraction for some,
and yes it's nice for families. The shop has been revamped , they must sell the most expencive track in the country there, (shades of resale price maintenace) and I was quite proud of myself as I did'nt buy anything, not even the Beano !.
yes I totally recommend the tram trip it's brilliant, and just look at the activites.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the info MMaD. I've booked a week in Devon mid September and been dozens and dozens of times before, but never been to Seaton. Seems like I should make the effort this time !!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Went many years ago in late October only to find it closed!! Not bothered since.

However, I was thinking of Mrs L and I having along weekend in Devon over the forecoming bank holiday.

MMD Is it really that bad??

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
3 1/2 miles of tramway, a lovely restored SR Station at Colyford, and I counted 12 different trams running yesterday, and you have Pecorama just down the road, so it's a good day out. As I said I've been to Pecorama
before, so it's a little unfair. Yes good day out, and the Mrs enjoyed it was well.
One area at Peco that did impress is the new layout Westbridge featuring the Ratio viaduct the presentation of this is superb. Modelling standards are very high. Of course a 19 arch viaduct using Will kits would be very expencive for the individual.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Have to agree with mmad, it is a very pleasant afternoons outing on the seaton tramway, found the people operating the trams very approachable, which made the experience that more pleasurable, BUT, its not easy getting on and off those top decks

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 16 Aug 2006, 19:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The shop has been revamped , they must sell the most expencive track in the country there, (shades of resale price maintenace) and I was quite proud of myself as I did'nt buy anything, not even the Beano !.

Can you imagine the outcry from the retailers if PECO sold any of their products at a discount (which they could very easily do) and undercut them ?

And yes, I was dissapointed with Pecoram too (I'm glad I was working in the area at the time & did not make a special journey), although the Seaton Tramway was excellent.

BTW - has anyone been to the Mevagissy (spelling ?) Model Railway & is that worth a visit ?

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Went there years ago before I got back into modelling again. A bit of a bitch for parking Mevagessy,
this is my version of spelling it. if your down there go for it. Well worth a visit is the Ratio / Wills shop at Buckfastleigh, and just down the road is the Station, which I think has a model shop. On the north coast probably not worth it for you is Watchet and the Mecca (mainly trains) difficult to find, because of the kink in the road, I always miss it the first time. Some intresting personalities in this shop, well worth observing some of the antics. Charles Dickens would have a field day. They have a great reputation for mail order, thats their speciality. Highly recommended. Don't expect to find any R-T-R in the shop. If you've never been, and make an early start, the pub at Raleigh Cross comes with my personal endorsement (great views over the channel)
for a good lunch.
I suguest you print a map from Street map or some other source.

Re Peco's prices, I used to do the same thing in my business. The farm was the most expencive place to buy Mushrooms. We did this mainly to discourage the tourists as we called them. ( In fact I had a sign errected on the drive to the farm in the end) ( salesmen by appointment only no day trippers and tourists)

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i went there about 10 years ago. pecorama was a good day out. although i have to add that we had my mother in a wheel chair and there were some VERY steep hills up to the live steam narrow gauge and it took 3 of us to push her up at times. (I do hope this has been improved).

We got to the seaton tyramway just in time to see the last tram being put to bed. but it looked wonderfull. i also understand that they have a new tram in the last month or so.

Peter

·
Registered
370 Posts
In spite of all my criticism of PECO and Railway Modeller, I always go to Pecorama when I get a few days in Devon. After all, looking at model layouts is a must for all of us and you don't need to buy anything in the shop if you don't want to. Incidentally, I've always found the cafe there quite good (whence you've climbed the hill that is !! ( no Peter, they haven't made the topography of the hillside any better yet, although I hear they have offered a contract to "God Landscaping" for 2008 )

I would agree with MMaD that a visit to Ratio at Buckfastleigh is well worth a visit, though don't expect any price saving there either. Whilst in Buckfastleigh, visit the abbey ( the boss will love it ) and the Dart Valley Railway ( the shop isn't bad ).
Also worth visiting is the steam railway in Paington, although I always prefer to photograph this particular line from its other end at Dartmouth. (another charming town that the boss will love). I've even been on the excursion trip, which is: railway from Paington to Dartmouth, trip up the river by boat, railway back from Dartmouth to Paington. ( she'll love that one )

After all these "other half friendly" activities, you could start back home really early, visit the model railway in Exmouth, call in at Watchet to Mainly Trains, then stop off at Taunton for a visit to the West Somerset Railway. Alternatively, stay overnight in Taunton and spend some time on a steam hauled ride from Taunton to Minehead and back.

Ah, those family holidays, when we all do something to please everybody !!! How lucky my wife is !!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I too found Pecorama to be a bit disappointing although the gardens were nice and the railway was worth the ride.

Managed to while away a few hours wandering around although as said it is very steep especially going up to the car park.
Advise wrapping up if you are visiting the Seaton tramway as even on the hot day we went there was still a stiff breeze blowing across the exposed track. A nice alternative use for a disused branchline and a good way to spend an afternoon even if the ticket price did seem a bit much compared to other attractions.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice photo's Spongebob you captured the atmosphere at the Station. You can imagine the Adam's Radial tanks
running the branch to Seaton too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts