Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the info MMaD. I've booked a week in Devon mid September and been dozens and dozens of times before, but never been to Seaton. Seems like I should make the effort this time !!

·
Registered
370 Posts
In spite of all my criticism of PECO and Railway Modeller, I always go to Pecorama when I get a few days in Devon. After all, looking at model layouts is a must for all of us and you don't need to buy anything in the shop if you don't want to. Incidentally, I've always found the cafe there quite good (whence you've climbed the hill that is !! ( no Peter, they haven't made the topography of the hillside any better yet, although I hear they have offered a contract to "God Landscaping" for 2008 )

I would agree with MMaD that a visit to Ratio at Buckfastleigh is well worth a visit, though don't expect any price saving there either. Whilst in Buckfastleigh, visit the abbey ( the boss will love it ) and the Dart Valley Railway ( the shop isn't bad ).
Also worth visiting is the steam railway in Paington, although I always prefer to photograph this particular line from its other end at Dartmouth. (another charming town that the boss will love). I've even been on the excursion trip, which is: railway from Paington to Dartmouth, trip up the river by boat, railway back from Dartmouth to Paington. ( she'll love that one )

After all these "other half friendly" activities, you could start back home really early, visit the model railway in Exmouth, call in at Watchet to Mainly Trains, then stop off at Taunton for a visit to the West Somerset Railway. Alternatively, stay overnight in Taunton and spend some time on a steam hauled ride from Taunton to Minehead and back.

Ah, those family holidays, when we all do something to please everybody !!! How lucky my wife is !!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.