Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****HI

This is NOT from my work bench but it IS the sort of thing my mum wheeled me round in! I thought that it was a totally inspirational bit of work that just might encourage you to have a go....

The coins are an australian 5 cent / UK 5P.

It was built by a very skilled Perth Based Southern modeller that I respect very much, and find a total inspiration. It is just one on many bits of exceptional scratchbuilding on his layout.... Even his bicycles have the correct spoke numbers front and back! If I can find the photo, I'll show you his OO/4mm scale set of golf clubs...each with the right head angle and all with numbered covers too!

regards

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Just incredible! If all models are made to that standard he will have to live a couple of centuries in order to get anything finished.

My mother had one just like that as well - it had a seat mounted at the handle end when my sister was born for me to sit on.

Thanks for showing that Richard.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*** no such luck Dave - his layout is finished, all to the same standard too... and he's now off on a tangent scratchbuilding a large scale model of the classic Bentley tourer!

A masterful modeller indeed - and by the way, he's still doing this level of modelling with hands steadier and eyes sharper than mine at 70+

I will ask him if he is OK with me showing a few of his layout photos.... and if so, post them before too long.

Richard

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 19 Mar 2009, 21:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just incredible! If all models are made to that standard he will have to live a couple of centuries in order to get anything finished.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
WOW!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Try and persuade him so we can see his layout too.

Baykal

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Wow followed by a little more wow. I really don't know what to say except I hope my eyes are that good at 70.

Something to aim for but I know I will never be in his league!

Richard any chance of meeting this guy?

Martin

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts

Masterful!

David

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Excellent stuff and the sort of thing I definitely aspire to. What is this made from? Are these etched parts, the wheels are wire spokes yes?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Thanks for that picture Richard, that has to be the best bit of modelling I've seen this year, probably all year unless he agrees to allow you to post some picyures of his layout.

Andii

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Top class modelling Richard thanks for bringing us the picture .... look forward to layout pictures if the gentleman allows .... and look forward to being 70 if i can be as good a modeller then

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No etched or commercial parts. Wire, bits of brass, paper, plastic - all hand filed/cut/bent....whatever is appropriate and "in scale".

I marvel at the construction but what has me really thinking is the fineness of the hand painting too... sharp as a razor everywhere! I dug out an old picture of me in the same pram type in 1955 and he is absolutely spot on detail wise too!

Richard

QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 20 Mar 2009, 07:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent stuff and the sort of thing I definitely aspire to. What is this made from? Are these etched parts, the wheels are wire spokes yes?

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
I absolutely can not wait until my model is so advanced my wee hours will be spent researching period prams. Brilliant. I wish I was joking too.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*** ROFLMAO
Sad aint it... its a long slippery slope, and we are all waiting here at the bottom for you Paul.

As to your comment: Period prams indeed!! We're talking serious coachwork here from the days when craftsmanship still had a place in UK manufacturing. Anyway... Its more an artifact from an England at last creeping out of wartime austerity... It was a new pram and I'm only 55!

Saddest recollection is that the lovely little pub in the same photo as the pram is the Dog and Gun in Long Lane, Aughton ... and I heard only recently that it has closed, so I'll need a new watering hole for my next visit back to my "roots".

Richard

·
Registered
378 Posts
Richard, I forwarded the photo of the pram to a friend in the USA who collects miniatures. She wanted a link to your mates website. Alas, I had to disappoint her.

Cheers,
Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts