Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gaugemaster PM1 point motor that I am trying to wire up to work from a Hornby passing switch, despite following the PM1's instructions it will not work. Any one out there can help, if I had much hair it would be pulled out now!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (patrick draper @ 17 Nov 2008, 00:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Gaugemaster PM1 point motor that I am trying to wire up to work from a Hornby passing switch, despite following the PM1's instructions it will not work. Any one out there can help, if I had much hair it would be pulled out now!

Hi Patrick.
Have you tried to operate the motor without the passing switch & without having it connected to a point just in case there is a switch fault or for that matter a motor fault. Secondly what voltage are you using on the motor as these seep motors sometimes need a good kick to move them. A little lubrication on the shaft of the motor might also help.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am using a 16V a.c. supply, the same as my Hornby points.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (patrick draper @ 17 Nov 2008, 00:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the reply. I am using a 16V a.c. supply, the same as my Hornby points.

Hi Patrick.
Have you tried to operate the motor without the passing switch & without having it connected to a point just in case there is a switch fault or for that matter a motor fault.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found the problem, the wire I used to run the power to the point motor was reclaimed from a SCART connector and was of high resistance and dropped the power down so that the point would not operate, I only found out by buying another motor and having the same problem and narrowing it down to the wires.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (patrick draper @ 18 Nov 2008, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have found the problem, the wire I used to run the power to the point motor was reclaimed from a SCART connector and was of high resistance and dropped the power down so that the point would not operate, I only found out by buying another motor and having the same problem and narrowing it down to the wires.

Hi Patrick.
What size wire are you using ? I would recommend 32/0.2 multi strand equipment wire available at Maplins, Rapid Electronics etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am now using that, my multimeter is duff so I could not measure the resistance of the wires, it is only from an old TV scart lead and 5 strand high resistance.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi I use seep which I fine needs a bit of a kick so use a capacitor discharge unit which help no end and all work fine and also less chance of motor burn out, also there easy to mount under the base board
it just a thought
Noel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts