Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to control all points with the Seep PM1 primarily due to the fact that they are inexpensive and that they have an inbuilt switch with which I can control the point frog polarity. Having researched this topic I have found a suitable method for the wiring as indicated on: http://brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm. However, I also wish to represent and control the point operation from a control panel that displays the point direction via LEDs as selected by a switch.

I wondered if I replaced the SPDT switch as per Brians diagram with a DPDT switch and used the second half of the DPDT switch to select an LED routing, would this work? I have made an attempt at a circuit but don't seem to be able to post it on here, if you PM me I can email the diagram to you for comments.

Many thanks in advance
Whistler

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE don't seem to be able to post it on here

If you can save it as a JPEG (.jpg) file, you can post as per this topic.

David

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Whistler @ 11 Jan 2009, 06:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also wish to represent and control the point operation from a control panel that displays the point direction via LEDs as selected by a switch.

Hi Whistler,

I have done that with my control panel but used MASTERSwitches from Richard at DCC Concepts to achieve it. This is, unfortunately, not a cheap option, so not sure if you would be interested in it or not. The MASTERswitch does have built in CDU which would give you a small saving. They are available in UK from Bromsgrove Models among others at £16.50 for 2 and can throw 2 or more Seep PM1s at a time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (Whistler @ 10 Jan 2009, 23:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am trying to control all points with the Seep PM1 primarily due to the fact that they are inexpensive and that they have an inbuilt switch with which I can control the point frog polarity. Having researched this topic I have found a suitable method for the wiring as indicated on: http://brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm. However, I also wish to represent and control the point operation from a control panel that displays the point direction via LEDs as selected by a switch.

I wondered if I replaced the SPDT switch as per Brians diagram with a DPDT switch and used the second half of the DPDT switch to select an LED routing, would this work? I have made an attempt at a circuit but don't seem to be able to post it on here, if you PM me I can email the diagram to you for comments.

Many thanks in advance
Whistler

The switches Brian is using are center off type for the Peco & Seep type motors. These wont work to change panel lights as they return to off as soon as you release them. The only way to use a switch to change panel lights is if you use a two way switch which stays switched when you let go. However this type of switch won't do for Peco or Seep type motors as the motors would burn out if fed with power continually. You may be able to use some sort of relay to switch panel lights if using the center off type switches. I'm sure someone will tell you how to do that as I don't know. You can use SPDT or DPDT switches if you are using stall type point motors like Tortoise.
Of course you can also do what Expat has suggested above.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Instead of using the Seep PM switch to directly switch the frog, you could use it to operate a small double-pole relay, one pole of which switches the frog and the other gives you the switch for the LEDs on the panel. The relay could be mounted underneath the baseboard close to the point. If you wanted additional contacts for working signals you could use a 4-pole relay.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts