Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Have you ever caught out a seller who has given you bull?

I was advised that a Triang loco had been tested and was assured that it was a good runner. Ok it was a car boot and it was cheap so why not take a chance.

Got it home, put it on the track and guess what...

Ok. Check it out time.

Open up body, remove chassis, check motor, motor works.

OK, check wheels.

Huh!

How often have you found locos that have the insulated wheelsets the wrong way around causing a short. I have on more than one occasion and even so called "experts" cannot work out that one side of a wheelset needs to be insulated on a live chassis!

Replace wheelsets the correct way around and bingo, one very nice running loco.

Now how the seller could have tested the loco with the wheelsets the wrong way around I simply do not know!

Well he could have tested it but he would have discovered that it smoked and as it was a diesel he could not claim it was the synchrosmoke unit!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I once took a wrenn loco to a model shop in gloucester. it sat there with nothing done to it (i could see it through the shop window in the back office on my way home from school!!) i kept asking if 9it had been done and it never was. he told ne it needed a remag (a diagnosis that i agreed with) then one day i asked and he told me it had been sent off to "Bachmann" and it had come back and it was all done! sure enough put it on a track and it worked. put a coach behind it and it stalled. nothing had been done with it at all! i went home with my loco unhappy and i didnt give them a penny!

Peter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well,not from a seller,but I've had buyers 'trying it on' -claiming that a loco didn't work and demanding a refund!

One that springs to mind was a similar situation to Gary's in that one of the trailing bogie wheelsets had been turned around causing it to short when on the track.
I'd personally serviced the loco and made sure it was working perfectly the day before,so I knew exactly what condition it was in when I sold it..

IIRC [It was some time ago now] He buys it on one day at a model railway exhibition,and then brings it back the next day saying:

"Ere mate,this train*you sold me don't go!,-I want me money back!"

* always a bad sign this,-someone refering to a loco as a 'train'!

Anyway,I look at it,and immediately spot what the problem is, and say:

"Well of course it wont work,-you've been messing around with it,-haven't you?

"Nah,'aven't touched it,-put it on the track and it didn't go"

"Well,-if you didn't,-then someone has,it wasn't like that when I sold it to you-look!

At this point,I unclipped the bogie from the chassis and removed the block and wheels,showing him,-I then put them back the correct way round and re-assembled the loco..

"There you are,-nothing wrong with it now,-fixed!"

I hand the loco back,and he still adamant that he hasn't messed with it,-although I know he has..but he's still trying it on...

"Right,-you say you haven't touched it,-but put it this way,-I checked that loco myself and I know for a FACT that it was okay when you bought it,-and it's DEFINATELY been messed with before you brought it back,-so if wasn't you,-maybe it was the fairies...

With that,he went quiet and slunk off,....so he knew he'd been rumbled..and no,he didn't get his money back....

By this time there were a few bemused onlookers amongst the other customers who had seen what was going on...[and who agreed with me..
]

Thankfully,it's only very rarely that you encounter a
like that!

If he'd have been genuine I would have given a refund,or sorted it out one way or another,-but he wasn't,-so he got short shrift..

Honestly,-do these
think we were born yesterday

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A simple solution is to take a battery powered controller and a section of track with you to permit potential customers to try locos out if they want to. They more often than not don't but its mere presence does instill trust and encourages visitors to look a little harder for that bargain!

What does surprise me is that model railway clubs organise exhibitions and don't provide an obvious facility to allow locos to be tested. Thats one objection that clubs have to building DCC layouts. A DCC exhibition layout means the visitors loco cannot be run if a test is requested on the layout.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE A DCC exhibition layout means the visitors loco cannot be run if a test is requested on the layout.

But can't a DC loco be run on address code 0 with a DCC controller

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 6 Oct 2006, 01:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only the Bachmann DCC controller does this to the best of my knowledge. No other system allows this.

Hi Neil,

Quite a few do actually - the Fleischmann Twin-Centre/Uhelbrook Intellebox & Lenz 100/90 are 2 that I know of, however, the motor on the analogue motor usually "buzzes" & runs hot - it will almost certainly burn out if left energised on DCC track.

Personally, I would not recommend running an anologue loco on DCC track, even if some makes allow that facility.

Most exhibitions have a mixture of layouts DC/DCC so it should not be a problem. One trader I know has a DC/DCC test demo track on his stand & also tests for other traders.

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
201 Posts
Neil

All controllers have the ablity to run 1 non-dcc chipped loco most are on 0 but can be on a range of numbers depending on the unit manufacturer.

The onlty major problem is that a dc loco's motor will buzz and get hot and i am pretty sure that it will not do the motor and possibly the body much good.

It does advise you in the instruction manual not to run a dc loco on a dcc system for this reason.

Regards

Alistair

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (alibuchan @ 6 Oct 2006, 16:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil

All controllers have the ablity to run 1 non-dcc chipped loco most are on 0 but can be on a range of numbers depending on the unit manufacturer.

The onlty major problem is that a dc loco's motor will buzz and get hot and i am pretty sure that it will not do the motor and possibly the body much good.

It does advise you in the instruction manual not to run a dc loco on a dcc system for this reason.

Regards

Alistair
On the Roco Lokmaus system which I am using at the moment I don't even have the number 0. My understanding was the voltage was too high for unchipped locos and they would burn out which is what you guys have just pointed out. Yes they will move but they will be irreparably damaged and the lights will pop. I had heard that the Bachmann one could do this without damaging the analogue loco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts