Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have to Bachmann GP-40 standard locos and I can't program the CV1 on any of them unless using the Page Preset command on Address Only packets. They dont recognize the Direct Mode on the Main Track Configuration Variable Access packet. I've read a lot and maybe is the Service Mode Decoder Lock but to be honest... I couln't understand completly how and why is it for, and how to turn it off so I can program the CV1 on the main track with normal CV access packets.

Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks

Ernesto P

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Ernesto Pareja @ 1 Feb 2008, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

I've read a lot and maybe is the Service Mode Decoder Lock but to be honest... I couln't understand completly how and why is it for, and how to turn it off so I can program the CV1 on the main track with normal CV access packets. Any help would be great!!!!

Ernesto, I presume these were DCC installed when you bought them. Bachmann use more than one brand for decoders so you'll first need to read CV8 to get the brand and software number - can you do that?

If not take the top off and the Mfr will usually have his name on the decoder somewhere in fine print.

The USUAL way to unlock is to read CV15, then set CV16 to the same number. When CV15 = CV16, the decoder is unlocked.

HOWEVER - you say you cannot change CV-1. This CV is supposed to be totally unafected by Decoder lock according to standards, so maybe there is another problem with your decoder?

TRY also:

Set CV29 to 6 - this will tell the decoder to respond to short address / CV1 settings. currently, the decoder may be set up to respond ONLY to long address.

Try doing a decoder reset. You will have to identify brand first then follow their instructions for reset. This will put all CVs to their ex-factory settings and shoud make the loco completely unlocked and programmable - at these ex factory / default settings it will respond to address 3.

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Richard, May be you are right there is something wrong with the decoders. I cant read the CVs because of my DCC command station, but I programed the CV16=1 and the CV15=1 but nothing happens.
Also I programed (normal protocol on the main track) the CV29 to 6. The Loco continues responding to the address and is running but I cannot program CV1. The only way I can program it is sending the Address Only Service Mode Packet but it is a broadcast message to all the locos on the track.

I wonder if there is someone there with the Bachmann diesel standard locos, with factory DCC Onboard, had the same problem?

Thanks a lot Richard for your answer!

Best Regards

Ernesto Pareja

1 - 3 of 3 Posts