Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently baught a graham farish loco off ebay. It runs a treat but i can see that the wheels are dirty. I hear people service their loco's but i don't know how to do this. Could anyone exaplin how they service their loco's please?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum

The way i clean my wheels on the locos is to get some methelated sprits and kitchen towel ..... put meths on the towel and lay it on the track now put the loco on with one bogie on the kitchen paper and power up the loco enough to get the wheels moving while holding it gently allowing the wheels to rotate on the towel ........ now move the towel around so a clean piece is under the wheels repeat the process until the towel has no marks on it, do the same on the other bogie and your loco will run a lot better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi there, just to add to this, minitrix sells a very ingenius and easy to use wheel cleaner. it consists of 2 sets of miniature wire brushes that sit in a cradle. you place this cradle onto a piece of energized track from where it takes the power (dcc or analogue) and passes it up to the 2 lines of wire brushes that are at about similiar spacing to n gauge rails.

you the place the loco onto the brushes which are now energized and hey presto the loco wheels spin, and the brushes that the wheels are sitting in clean them as they spin!

have a lookie here:-

minitrix wheels cleaner

best thing i ever bought!.

any loco wheels that do pick up current though and are not powered u need to use a method like described above!

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 25 Feb 2009, 11:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An HO/OO version was also available - we used to sell load of both versions (when were able to source Martrix in the UK).

Yes, same here but they changed distributor in th UK and I can't get them any more.

David Y

1 - 6 of 6 Posts