Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to DCC but having purchased a n NCE Pro cab and converting about 8 of my engines successfully to DCC I thought I was getting th hang of it. I was asked what I would like as a birthday present. I suggested a Hornby Pendolino with DCC fitted. This was after I had asked Hornby if such a product would work with NCE equipment. I was assured it would. A present of a Hornby 4 car Pendolino already fitted with DCC duly arrived.
My NCE equipment will not read the Decoder.
I contacted the Hornby technical support people again referring to my last request, and received this response.

Hello Barry,
Sorry for the misunderstanding here... the R8215 decoder works with the NCE equipment within the limits of it's own specification. i.e. The R8215 decoder was not designed to support interrogation with any control system. The R8215 decoder is programmable/controllable from the NCE.
However, later versions of the R8215 decoder do support interrogation in "REG" mode only.
The following procedure has been tested using an NCE Power Cab..
· Using The programming Track mode... Configuring the NCE Power Cab controller to "REG" mode programming… you may now carry out decoder read back and programming.
Let me know how you get on...

Can anyone out there help me with explaining how I configure the power cab to REG mode programming in Prog track mode? I can find no reference to REG mode in the System reference manual.
I find the reference manual very difficult to understand. I would consider myself fairly computer literate but it does not seem to help.
Barry

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (Bazsad @ 20 Jun 2008, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am new to DCC but having purchased a n NCE Pro cab and converting about 8 of my engines successfully to DCC I thought I was getting th hang of it. I was asked what I would like as a birthday present. I suggested a Hornby Pendolino with DCC fitted. This was after I had asked Hornby if such a product would work with NCE equipment. I was assured it would. A present of a Hornby 4 car Pendolino already fitted with DCC duly arrived.
My NCE equipment will not read the Decoder.
I contacted the Hornby technical support people again referring to my last request, and received this response.

Hello Barry,
Sorry for the misunderstanding here... the R8215 decoder works with the NCE equipment within the limits of it's own specification. i.e. The R8215 decoder was not designed to support interrogation with any control system. The R8215 decoder is programmable/controllable from the NCE.
However, later versions of the R8215 decoder do support interrogation in "REG" mode only.
The following procedure has been tested using an NCE Power Cab..
· Using The programming Track mode... Configuring the NCE Power Cab controller to "REG" mode programming&#8230; you may now carry out decoder read back and programming.
Let me know how you get on...

Can anyone out there help me with explaining how I configure the power cab to REG mode programming in Prog track mode? I can find no reference to REG mode in the System reference manual.
I find the reference manual very difficult to understand. I would consider myself fairly computer literate but it does not seem to help.
Barry

Press PROG ESC button 4 times programming track, Then Option 3 which is REG mode. I use Option 2 direct programming or OPT 1 STD.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (fordy361 @ 21 Jun 2008, 03:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Press PROG ESC button 4 times programming track, Then Option 3 which is REG mode. I use Option 2 direct programming or OPT 1 STD.

***Hi - you can also simply press programme and then the number 4 which will take you to programming track.

Register mode is the oldest of the old programming methods and it is incredible that a "New" decoder has been made to use this antique method of programming - it is actually likely to be dropped from the standards before long!

Personally I'd simply programme the hornby decoder on the main - it has so little programming ability anyway that any more sophisticated approach is pointless anyway!

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 21 Jun 2008, 07:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi - you can also simply press programme and then the number 4 which will take you to programming track.

Register mode is the oldest of the old programming methods and it is incredible that a "New" decoder has been made to use this antique method of programming - it is actually likely to be dropped from the standards before long!

Personally I'd simply programme the hornby decoder on the main - it has so little programming ability anyway that any more sophisticated approach is pointless anyway!

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (fordy361 @ 20 Jun 2008, 19:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Press PROG ESC button 4 times programming track, Then Option 3 which is REG mode. I use Option 2 direct programming or OPT 1 STD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 21 Jun 2008, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi - you can also simply press programme and then the number 4 which will take you to programming track.

Regards

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts