Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Looking at building a layout based on the settle and carlisle railway. Following in the foot steps of a lot of modellers. Will be based in the loft. Approximate size 15ft x 8ft. Loft needs converting, so looking at a couple of years before construction can begin. Planning is everything so what I am looking at now is good reading info. Can somebody recomend a good book to start with. One that contains plenty of photos and plans of stations and route etc. Also thuoghts on size of layout. I would like to run reasonable lenght trains (in OO ). Is this going to be possible given dimensions of layout.

looking forward to your replies.

thanks Never Upright

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not sure you would be into it but there is a new version of Trainz Rail Simulator coming out that concentrates on the Settle and Carlisle line. You may not be into simulators , but I have a previous version and I can tell you they are very sophisticated and very accurate these days. Just thought that you would be able to "virtually" travel the line- might be useful.

Russell

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE good reading info

The first book that came to mind was "Rails in the Fells" by David Jenkinson. I've not read it but his reputation would put it at the top of my list. It's some time some it was first published (actually it turns out to have been 1973 by Peco, which just shows that 10 years of reading Railway Modeller promoting it really did burn it into my memory) so I did a quick Google and the first hit turned up what looks like a promising book list - you can get to it via this link.

As regards modelling it, have you had a look at Richard Johnson's gallery photos? If not follow this link to Richard's gallery page. That viaduct is scale length but somehow Richard managed to get it on the back of a trailer. There's a topic about it on here somewhere....

Best of luck with the project

David

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 13 Jun 2008, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The first book that came to mind was "Rails in the Fells" by David Jenkinson. I've not read it but his reputation would put it at the top of my list. It's some time some it was first published (actually it turns out to have been 1973 by Peco, which just shows that 10 years of reading Railway Modeller promoting it really did burn it into my memory) so I did a quick Google and the first hit turned up what looks like a promising book list - you can get to it via this link.

As regards modelling it, have you had a look at Richard Johnson's gallery photos? If not follow this link to Richard's gallery page. That viaduct is scale length but somehow Richard managed to get it on the back of a trailer. There's a topic about it on here somewhere....

Best of luck with the project

David

David,

(and Richard). That is some gallery and again on this forum there is plenty of inspiration for projects and food for the eye.

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (never upright @ 13 Jun 2008, 18:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
Looking at building a layout based on the settle and carlisle railway. Following in the foot steps of a lot of modellers. Will be based in the loft. Approximate size 15ft x 8ft. Loft needs converting, so looking at a couple of years before construction can begin. Planning is everything so what I am looking at now is good reading info. Can somebody recomend a good book to start with. One that contains plenty of photos and plans of stations and route etc. Also thuoghts on size of layout. I would like to run reasonable lenght trains (in OO ). Is this going to be possible given dimensions of layout.

looking forward to your replies.

thanks Never Upright

I am also in the preplanning stage so would also value the reading list. When I am to build I am planning a 'fantasy# layout as I have a wide range of styles of loco and carriges (and kids with imaginations) so will be using american, continental and British (Irish stuff will follow but at the prices for Irish loco replicas I may have to 'manufacture' my own.)

Which ever way you go, enjoy

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 13 Jun 2008, 18:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure you would be into it but there is a new version of Trainz Rail Simulator coming out that concentrates on the Settle and Carlisle line. You may not be into simulators , but I have a previous version and I can tell you they are very sophisticated and very accurate these days. Just thought that you would be able to "virtually" travel the line- might be useful.

Russell

do you have a link to suppliers of these simulators. sounds like fun

(i.e I always wanted to be a train driver)

How #bout those 'railway channels' in Europe - great stuff

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (Basil @ 13 Jun 2008, 20:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>do you have a link to suppliers of these simulators. sounds like fun

I suppose google 'Trainz' - yeah that's it

(i.e I always wanted to be a train driver)

How #bout those 'railway channels' in Europe - great stuff

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'd particularly recommend "Stations and Structures of the Settle and Carlisle Railway" by V R Anderson and G K Fox, published by OPC in 1986, reprinted 2000. ISBN 0 860934 360 1.
Includes track plans and signalling diagrams and many photos of buildings, bridges etc. Excellent read.

Have fun planning your layout!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 14 Jun 2008, 12:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd particularly recommend "Stations and Structures of the Settle and Carlisle Railway" by V R Anderson and G K Fox, published by OPC in 1986, reprinted 2000. ISBN 0 860934 360 1.
Includes track plans and signalling diagrams and many photos of buildings, bridges etc. Excellent read.

Have fun planning your layout!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
That's a good size for a 00 layout. One piece of advice on the planning side of things. Don't have four straight lengths joined by small radius curves in the four corners. This will look quite toy-like.

I would use minimum radius of 3ft and possible larger. With 3 ft curves for about 90 degrees at each end you can then have transistion curves for the 45 degrees either side. I think that this would look quite impressive. It would mean that you could have one long side and both ends as the scenic part of the layout and only one long side as non-scenic storage sidings.

My layout is shorter but slightly wider, 11.5 ft by 9 ft. I can run five coach trains on this (and maybe six) without them looking too long for the space. With the size available to you, I would think that you could easily run eight coach trains or trains of 20 wagons.

Good luck with the project. Cheers, Robert.

P.S. I wouldn't wait a couple of years getting the loft ready. Two months would stretch my patience!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 16 Jun 2008, 21:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a good size for a 00 layout. One piece of advice on the planning side of things. Don't have four straight lengths joined by small radius curves in the four corners. This will look quite toy-like.

I would use minimum radius of 3ft and possible larger. With 3 ft curves for about 90 degrees at each end you can then have transistion curves for the 45 degrees either side. I think that this would look quite impressive. It would mean that you could have one long side and both ends as the scenic part of the layout and only one long side as non-scenic storage sidings.

My layout is shorter but slightly wider, 11.5 ft by 9 ft. I can run five coach trains on this (and maybe six) without them looking too long for the space. With the size available to you, I would think that you could easily run eight coach trains or trains of 20 wagons.

Good luck with the project. Cheers, Robert.

P.S. I wouldn't wait a couple of years getting the loft ready. Two months would stretch my patience!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks robert

Some helpfull advice. though unfornunatly finances dictate having to wait for loft to be sorted.

Cheers Never Upright.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would agree with dwb about Rails in the Fells, by David Jenkinson. I bought the book new on release in 1973 and its always been one of my favourite 'dipping in for a quick read' books. Very informative and it gives you most if not all the trackplans, the history of the line, the geographical nature of the land, the reason behind it all, some good photos; you end up with a real feel for the line and its surroundings.

steve22

1 - 15 of 15 Posts