Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know too much about shinohara track other than they appear to do a nice double cross over that I would like to use on my layout. Asfar as I can see they are the only company that make a code 100 double cross over in HO/OO.

(Image from www.scalelink.co.uk/)

Anyone know how good this item is and how well it would integrate with peco code 100?

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 3 Mar 2008, 23:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know too much about shinohara track other than they appear to do a nice double cross over that I would like to use on my layout. Asfar as I can see they are the only company that make a code 100 double cross over in HO/OO.

(Image from www.scalelink.co.uk/)

Anyone know how good this item is and how well it would integrate with peco code 100?

Rob
Not used it but I have seen it and it looks good but the electrical contact is very flimsy and obtrusive. Walthers 7 Shinohara track doesn't have any turnout latching like peco so all 4 turnouts will have to be fitted with turnout motors

Shaun

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 4 Mar 2008, 08:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know too much about shinohara track <snip> Anyone know how good this item is and how well it would integrate with peco code 100?

Rob

Hi Rob

I prefer it to Peco and have used it extensively in the past.... however that was on US prototype layouts

It is built to finer flangeway standards than Peco (Shinohara check rails do actually check properly) and so is capable of giving better running but you may have to adjust theodd back to back as both Hornby and bachmann are all over the place with wheel b-t-b.

You will need to use latching point motors.

current Walthers Shinohara is different to the original Shinohara - I rate it as very good.

Regards

Richard

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shaun and Richard,

Think i'll go ahead and order now as it seems there may be up to a 6 month lead time with shinohara crossovers at the minute, and the prices are about to climb by something like 35%, so no time like the present as I need 5 of them!

Rob

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 4 Mar 2008, 22:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Shaun and Richard,

Think i'll go ahead and order now as it seems there may be up to a 6 month lead time with shinohara crossovers at the minute, and the prices are about to climb by something like 35%, so no time like the present as I need 5 of them!

Rob

*** Try emailing or calling to Tenshodo in Tokyo - they stock Shinohara and may have them ex stock.

Or...

I used to visit Shinoharas own retail store in Sakuracho (South of Tokyo / North side of Yokohama) and if you can find the Shinohara Sakuracho shop in the international phone book then you MAY get a better price from him. (its run by the original Shinohara's son). His english is OK...

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I rate the track very highly, have two double slips and I must say that you get a lot of point for your money

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shinohara do code 100 and code 70 themselves and also code 83 sold as Walthers. So far the best price I have found is through the Walthers website so may proceed that way.

Thanks guys,

Rob

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
when I modelled US stuff,I found SHinohara to be superior for running qualities to Peco.......that is, the peco of the time [late80's,early 90's]

more flimsy than peco...which didn't matter once laid.

again, the latching thing was the only issue, I used small DPDT slide switches, and bits of stiff wire.

also,GEM point levers.....with home made switch stands and targets....lethal for those pokey fingers!

Code 70 is excellent for short lines and sidings.

pointwork was reasonable in cost........flex rack a bit pricey.....peco won because of sheer availability.

Has anyone who models elsewhere, tried the [new] Peco code 83 points?

do they do matching flex track?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts