Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've just added some pictures in my blog http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/blog/dave_c/index.php? and I have a question arising. The diagonal timbers that run from corner to corner both up and out to the edges of the house, are these removeable or do I have to work round them ?

If on the floor ones (these aren't in the centre of the loft) and I am using loft flooring can I replace the beams as i will be adding strength through the new flooring ??

I just want to make sure as this is the first time I have done this and I don't want my house collapsing

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im a little confused to what timbers your refering too, if the timber is running on top and across the cieling joist, these are called binders, they help stop the cieling joist from twisting and sagging. if your refering to roof timbers, and your roof has a truss structure, do not remove any timer at all, you will need structual calculations and building control approval to make any alterations. seek profesional advice.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Dave,
I've had a look at your blog. You have standard 'gang-nailed' roof trusses. These are designed to take the weight of your roof but to use the minimum amount of timber in so doing, to keep costs low. As Doug says, do not attempt to alter these without professional advice - to do otherwise could result in the roof collapsing!
The diagonal timbers which are visible in your pictures are there for two reasons:
(i) they hold the trusses correctly spaced while the roof is being constructed;
(ii) they then help the roof resist wind forces once it is built, and thus they are known as 'wind braces', I understand. As with the trusses, they should not be tampered with without advice.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys, having done some investigation on the web, John was right, I do have a truss roof which is very difficult to change and also very expensive, £18k approx. Plus I have issues I have to check out if I were to convert the room with my deeds in that there are stipulations in them.
My only other option is to run the track between the beams and just make the track fit around them and only run it round the centre part of the loft, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts